Arcania - Reviews @ RPS, GameSpot

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Let me be clear, this first Arcania article at Rock, Paper Shotgun is an impressions piece, not a review; I only have so much space in the heading. Alec Meer writes he has given up half way through and isn't impressed. A lengthy quote:
7.5 hours: halfway through the 15-hour campaign. I stopped there not because I’m lazy, not because I’m mendacious, not because I felt I’d seen it all – but because I couldn’t stand any more. I thought about playing for the same amount again, and I felt incredibly tired. I thought of all the other things I could do instead (most of which, admittedly, involve staring at the internet), and I felt deeply sad. Games shouldn’t do that.
That didn’t happen because the game is awful (it’s not; if you want so absolute a qualifier, tell me a suitable term that lies perfectly between ‘awful’ and ‘ tolerable,’ and that’ll do the trick nicely), but because I felt like I was wasting my time. To be mediocre, to inspire no emotion – that’s the worst crime of all, most especially for a roleplaying game, something that’s supposed to inspire a feeling of adventure in an unknown land, a sense of otherness, place and purpose. I felt nothing. No care for anyone or anything – even the salt-tingle compulsion of levelling up and looting barely activated the hungry lizard-portion of my brain. I didn’t feel hate, anger or even contempt. I felt nothing.
Here’s what Gothic 4 is: it’s an MMORPG without the MMO. It’s mindless, time-consuming fetch quests, running along roads and skipping past characterless dialogue from characterless characters until they give you your next, fetch-based objective. Without a sense of being in a living world, the emptiness of such pursuits is inescapable.
...and a negative full review at GameSpot, with a score of 5/10. Describing it as "dull" and "generic", author Brett Todd presumably didn't finish either:
Unlike its more interesting predecessors, Arcania: Gothic 4 is a commonplace action-RPG with boring quests, rudimentary controls, and dreary character development. All of these flaws make the game difficult to get emotionally involved in, which is the kiss of death for an epic RPG like this one that demands dozens of hours of commitment.
More information.

Looks like "super bitchin" graphics can"t save this one. Turns out, people want more than that in their vidia gaems. I hope ALL developers(and publishers) take note.

Here’s what Gothic 4 is: it’s an MMORPG without the MMO. It’s mindless, time-consuming fetch quests, running along roads and skipping past characterless dialogue from characterless characters until they give you your next, fetch-based objective. Without a sense of being in a living world, the emptiness of such pursuits is inescapable.

I played the demo on Xbox 360 tonight and I agree with this based on that. The graphics were also somehow not very good to me. The voice-acting was really bad (and I'm usually not someone to complain about that) and the dialogue extremely uninteresting. That witch Lyrca (?) was especially cringe-worthy (and I usually do not cringe). Fetch quests, button mashing combat and a totally un-Gothic feel to the story and atmosphere.

I still haven't played the game because I don't have it.

But if these reviewers are correct that Arcania isn't a very good game, I'm at least equally unimpressed with 'reviewers' who don't finish the game they are reviewing.

I watched that snip from last week where Whoopie and Joy walked off the set of 'The View' during an interview with Bill Orielly because of a disagreement. When I saw that, whether you agree with the women of the View or Orielly, I thought to myself, wow that's pretty unprofessional that those women walked off the set. Their entire job is to express their view while allowing others to do the same, hence the name, 'The View.' That is their job for which they are paid.

I get that same feeling about reviewers openly admitting they don't finish the games they review - the job for which they are paid. Here's an idea… how about behaving like professional writers like you are paid to be and finish the game you are going to write a review on? And if you can't do that, how about not peeing on any remaining notions readers like myself might have that internet 'reviewers' are not a complete joke by not commenting about how you haven't done your job?

I'm not sure about the folks at Rock, Paper, Shotgun… they might just write 'reviews' for fun and if that's the case then disregard this rant. But reviewers from sites like Gamespot I know are paid writers.

Glad I'm checking reviews, they want $90 for it at my local game stores and our dollar is currently about on par with the US$!!!??!!

Wouldn't mind getting the game but it appears that the retail release date in the UK is far off if Jowood are to be believed. I guess reviews like this should make me not worried about getting it but it bugs me that it is available pretty much every else.

Back
Top Bottom