Dealspwn - Drew Karpyshyn Interview

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Dealspwn has started a new article series about interactive narratives in games, and their first interview is with Drew Karpyshyn. He talks about KOTOR and Mass Effect.

Back when I first started thinking about this whole Interactive Narratives idea, the first certainty would be that Knights of the Old Republic would be my starting point. It stands as arguably the best game that BioWare have ever made, is a game I attempt to play through at least once every 12-18 months, and back at the 2004 Game Developers Choice Awards it won three major prizes: Game of the Year, Excellence in Writing, and Best Original Character (take that, meatbags).

I think we can all agree that it's pretty damn good.

Naturally, therefore, my first port of call was Drew Karpyshyn, lead writer on KOTOR and the first two titles for the also-critically-acclaimed space opera that followed as BioWare sought to create a universe that was all their own in Mass Effect. After a spot of email swapping, difficulties in aligning schedules, holidays that fell at inopportune times on both sides, we finally managed to get a little exchange going, and I fired over a number of questions to him about how he got into the business of writing interactive fiction, and his experience working with such a massive IP as Star Wars, before comparing that to building something from scratch with Mass Effect.
More information.

Seeing the video's preview picture with Liara next to a Sith, I wonder if Bioware will have the idea to let Biotics create some kind of semi-permanent biotic blade attached to a hilt, so we'll have light sabers in the Mass Effect universe. :D

Disney perhaps won't like that.

Back
Top Bottom