Arcania - Official Sys Reqs Updated

What are you guys whining about? Gothic has always been extreme in terms of requirements. No Gothic game has ever played smoothly on mid-range computers. Either you need a high end one, or you need to wait a few years before maxing out all the settings. This is how it's always been, it has nothing to do with the developer.

Example: Trying to run the original Gothic with 300% view was hopeless back in the days unless you had a great computer.

I suspect it has to do with world design, and not actually the graphics. So much is constantly happening in the world, and so much of the world is always loaded, it's hard for computers low on RAM/CPU to deal with it all.

The console version will no doubt use the lower settings, not the higher ones you can enable on a high end PC.

Recommended specs aren't for highest detail settings, though. At least, that's not how it normally goes.

Those requirements DO seem quite high - especially considering it's coming out on consoles.

I think this is a case of a low priority PC version.

Perhaps "can it run Arcania?" will become the new "can it run Crysis?" ;)

Apart from "can it run Gothic 3" ? ;)

recommended requirement is DirectX 9.0…
this is gonna be just another hog like Gothic 3…

Why ? What kind of effects has direktx9.0c so that it creates some kind of "hogginess" ?

And - should Windows xp users use Direktx 10 or 11 instead ?

These are the highest requirements for a PC game I've never seen. ¿8800GTX minimum and GTX295 recommended??? I can understand that for the best quality settings the game makes use of the best hardware available (like Crysis), but, How can be the minimun GPU needed a 8800GTX that is 2-3 times more powerful than the XBOX360????
I only have two answers for that:
- The XBOX360/PS3 versión visuals are very poor against the pc version.
- The PC version is a disastrous console port in which the companny hasn't spent any time optimizing it.

I hope the first answer be the right one and the game look fantastic in a PC.

By other hand, it seems also that the game is optimized for NVidia DX10 GPUS, (8800GTX, GTX295), perhaps with AMD/ATI GPUS the requirements will be even higher ( I hope not, I have a 4870 :)).

no need for conspiracy theories… they are simply making the best possible game for those who have the gear. The specs are for maxed out settings, but you don't need to turn up the AA up to 16X for a game to look good. 8X is just as good to the human eye. If you don't have a high-end rig, then go console which will be a good game too, but not as good as a high end rig can be. I'd say the equivalent of the GTX295 is the 5870 - well the 5870 is better in my opinion…

no need for conspiracy theories… they are simply making the best possible game for those who have the gear.

Which is a fraction among a fraction among a fraction of all gamers worldwide.

All Gamers worldwide -> RPG players -> RPG players with high-end machines -> Gothic fans having high-end machines.

So … all of the companies are constantly thriving for the mass market … HOw comes it that they are then "making the best possible game for those who have the gear" meanwhile the mass market just doesn't have the gear ?

Or are developers developing exclusively for gamers nowadays "who have the gear" meanwhile alienating the massess of the gamers ?

"We are the elite - we are demanding, so give us something for our money - and something that looks good !"

It could be different. Drakensang, for example, didn't need so much high spcs at all.
Drakensang's specs even say it would run on Windows 98 …

no need for conspiracy theories… they are simply making the best possible game for those who have the gear. The specs are for maxed out settings, but you don't need to turn up the AA up to 16X for a game to look good. 8X is just as good to the human eye. If you don't have a high-end rig, then go console which will be a good game too, but not as good as a high end rig can be. I'd say the equivalent of the GTX295 is the 5870 - well the 5870 is better in my opinion…

My complain is about the minimun requirements. 8800GTX (3 times faster than a XBOX360) is something too high IMO. That means that anybody with a HD4770, HD5670, 8800GT, GT240, GT9600, GT9800,... can't even run the game in its minimun settings !!! That's very weird.

I really can't believe that, and actually a 9800GT will be able to run the game IMO.

Why ? What kind of effects has direktx9.0c so that it creates some kind of "hogginess" ?

And - should Windows xp users use Direktx 10 or 11 instead ?
what i'm saying it that it's not even aiming for some great new visuals that the required hardware (minimum and recommended) is offering and other big titles are taking advantage of.
To me it seems they just need huge raw power and that's because the engine is most likely crap as it was in Gothic 3.

Okay, I can see your point now.

Apart from "can it run Gothic 3" ? ;)
Only G3 was a very special beast. The engine was so wonky that it depended a lot more on how your system was put together than on how powerful your system was overall.
At least the patched version ran fine on my system (which now doesn't even meet Arcania's minimum LOL) while others with far more powerful systems whined about its performance.

With those requirements I don't see why Spellbound and JoWood even bother bringing it to the PC.

what i'm saying it that it's not even aiming for some great new visuals that the required hardware (minimum and recommended) is offering and other big titles are taking advantage of.
To me it seems they just need huge raw power and that's because the engine is most likely crap as it was in Gothic 3.

Strong words.

a) Please name at least one RPG which looks better than Arcania.
b) Which engine are they using and what makes you think it's crap?

They should delay the game another year to allow the customer base to catch up hardware-wise.

Those req. are ridiculously high, even way beyond Crysis. No way for such a risky undertaking as Gothic I am going to upgrade my computer. Not that I could, even if I wanted to. Thats just bizarre. Who the heck is going to buy such a game?

Strong words.

a) Please name at least one RPG which looks better than Arcania.
b) Which engine are they using and what makes you think it's crap?

How can he name a game that looks better when Arcania isn't even out yet and thus no one *really* knows how it looks?

Gothic 3 was kind of the same way only not quite so rough on system requirements. I just don't think the people who are working on that stuff know how to write good, fast code.

In any case my 2yo system doesn't quite meet either the CPU or graphics min requirements and my days of upgrading my PC just to play some specific single game are long gone. And I am probably solidly in their target market, or rather, I *should* be.

Haha, I don't even meet the minimum requirements (graphics card). I wasn't too interested in this game anyway, though.

Last chance for JoeWood!

…….. I'll wait for the demo and check this piece of software the old way.
My rig is medium-powerful (Intel Core 2 Duo 3500 oc at 3800 Mhz - Radeon HD 5870 - 4 Gb Ram)
If my rig runs it ….. I'll buy the game.
If not, I think we'll see JoeWood for the last time on the pc game market (because this last big error will end his career and pc gamers wont buy his products anymore) IMO.
In this case I'll be glad to let console gamers enjoy their exclusive on JoeWood!

Recommended specs aren't for highest detail settings, though. At least, that's not how it normally goes.

Those requirements DO seem quite high - especially considering it's coming out on consoles.

I think this is a case of a low priority PC version.

I agree with your assessment.
Its likely unproper coding due to the many possible configs on PC hardware.

How can he name a game that looks better when Arcania isn't even out yet and thus no one *really* knows how it looks?

Hey, he said "what i'm saying it that it's not even aiming for some great new visuals that the required hardware (minimum and recommended) is offering and other big titles are taking advantage of."

So he certainly knows how it looks, and he also knows "the other big titles".

Gothic 3 was kind of the same way only not quite so rough on system requirements. I just don't think the people who are working on that stuff know how to write good, fast code.
Who cares about Gothic 3? Different game, different dev, new code, licensed engine.

In any case my 2yo system doesn't quite meet either the CPU or graphics min requirements and my days of upgrading my PC just to play some specific single game are long gone. And I am probably solidly in their target market, or rather, I *should* be.

I also think it's stupid to have such a big graphics card as minimum.

Hey, he said "what i'm saying it that it's not even aiming for some great new visuals that the required hardware (minimum and recommended) is offering and other big titles are taking advantage of."

So he certainly knows how it looks, and he also knows "the other big titles".

Someone already mentioned Two Worlds 2 and I'd even say Risen looks maybe a bit under Arcania. I'm not seeing in these screenshots what all this power is being used for especially since it's just another SpeedTree foresty game.

There is only one explanation to this, is a port and they dont know how to optimised it for run on pc.
________
Ducati Supersport 1000Ds

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom