Your top 5 favorite RPG's

GuybrushWilco

Pirate Janitor
I was just reading about the Wasteland revival, and the possibly new Obsidian RPG, which made me remember Planescape, and got me wondering what everyone's favorite rpg's are.

1. Planescape: Torment
2. Fallout
3. Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, The
4. Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn
5. Final Fantasy VII

You-must-be-new-here.jpg

This was probably the first thread opened when the forum was made.

Anyway, I don't have top 5 RPG. Just like I don't have with anime, books, movies etc. But I can name 5 that I like a lot.

Arcanum
Baldur's Gate 2
Morrowind
Fallout 2
Nwn 2

I guess I didn't look far enough back in the threads. This thread really needs to be deleted already. Put me out of my misery :)

Last edited:
I guess I didn't look far enough back in the threads. This thread really needs to be deleted already. Put me out of my misery :)
I don't remember what I posted last month even. :p It's an excellent opportunity to express my opinions … again.

Welcome to the forum, Wilco!

Having said that, 32 page thread thataway :)

In no particular order:
* Might and Magic VI and VII - very enjoyable memories from these. I recently also completed V and graphics never bothered me.
* Fallout 1 and 2 - First one is my all-time favourite game.
* Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic - A joy to play and never got boring.
* Final Fantasy VII - Extremely tedious, almost like playing WoW , but I had to complete it.
* Baldur's Gate 1 and 2 - The first rated higher for it's story.
* The Elder Scrolls: Arena and Daggerfall - I remember one of these games had a bug halfway through the game that made it impossible to complete (in addition the King made a ghoul sound ), so I was delayed it half a year. I don't like the current Bethesda though.
I'd like to revise mine:
* Risen
* Vampire: Bloodlines (Thrasher, thanks for reminding me)
* Fallout 1
* Baldur's Gate 1
* Might & Magic 6+7

Last edited:
I think I've already changed my mind since I posted in that other thread, so here is an attempt to make a list of my current (as in today, because tomorrow I will have changed my mind again) 5 favourites:
Planescape torment
Drakensang: River of time
Vampire the masquerade: bloodlines
Morrowind
Fallout 2

But then again, I also think that Icewind Dale, Skyrim, Realms of Arkania 3, Arcanum, Might & Magic 4-5 world of xeen, Gothic 1, Ultima 7 and a lot of other games belongs up there. Creating fare lists of this type is impossible :(

Nice choices , Fnord!

My choices, never expressed in THAT thread:

1. Torment
2. Morrowind
3. Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines
4. Wizardry 8
5. toss up between NWN/2 and their expansions (plus community modules), Arcanum, and World of Xeen...

Tough to do just 5! Also, I will need to separate console JRPGs from WRPGs - really, they're much too different in most cases. Also, couldn't put them in order, except to say that BG2 is my fave WRPG of all time:

PC/WRPGs:
- Baldur's Gate 2
- ES III: Morrowind (Including Bloodmoon + Tribunal)
- Wizardry 8
- Planescape: Torment
- Icewind Dale

Runner Up: Divine Divinity (was very close between this and IWD)

JRPGs:
- Final Fantasy IV (every incarnation but especially the DS remake)
- Final Fantasy IX
- Lunar Silver Star Story Complete
- Persona 4
- FF Tactics
- Phantasy Star II

I know, this is 6, but FF Tactics is a strategy RPG so wasn't sure if it counted :)

Runner up: Final Fantasy XII

I think I've already changed my mind since I posted in that other thread, so here is an attempt to make a list of my current (as in today, because tomorrow I will have changed my mind again) 5 favourites:
Planescape torment
Drakensang: River of time
Vampire the masquerade: bloodlines
Morrowind
Fallout 2

But then again, I also think that Icewind Dale, Skyrim, Realms of Arkania 3, Arcanum, Might & Magic 4-5 world of xeen, Gothic 1, Ultima 7 and a lot of other games belongs up there. Creating fare lists of this type is impossible :(

Morrowind came close to being on my list, but just got edged out. I've been meaning to try Drakensang, and Risen.

JRPGs:
- Final Fantasy IV (every incarnation but especially the DS remake)
- Final Fantasy IX
- Lunar Silver Star Story Complete
- Persona 4
- FF Tactics
- Phantasy Star II

Phantasy Star II but not the original Phantasy Star? PSI was soooo much better.

Phantasy Star II but not the original Phantasy Star? PSI was soooo much better.

I should have said "Phantasy Star Series Except III Which I Have But Have Never Played" :) but that somehow felt like cheating.

I love PS 1, 2 and 4. I keep meaning to replay them to pick a victor once and for all since it's really been ages since I've played them (Phantasy Star was my first console RPG back in 1987!).

Started playing all 3 last year but only put a couple of hours into each. I plan to play each from beginning to end in the next few months. Have them on a PS2 compilation, on a DC compilation, and on a GBA compilation (which only had 1 - 3). So as I said, I really do keep meaning to replay them, lol.

I really would like updated ports ala FF III/FF IV for the DS. But this will never happen.

I might as well post here, since I haven't played enough RPGs to come up with top 10 (let alone, top 5).

1. BG2 SoA + ToB with/without mods - I doubt any game will be better than this one in my life time. I have to admitt I'm biased towards this game though — this was my first ever RPG experience and I'm glad it was BG2. This game is reason I still play games.

2 & 3. Dragon Age: Origins + Awakening & Mass Effect 2 - This is really embarassing — I was a big Bioware fan girl. Funny, now I'm starting to hate where Bioware is heading. I couldn't really decide which game is better of two because of following reason. I LOVED ME2. I was so hooked up, I even quit WoW. I loved each mission (apart from PROBE LAUNCH), every companions and especially I LOVED MY FEM SHEP. But I just couldn't replay it. Period. I didn't see any replayable value in this game. On the other hand, I didn't love DA:O+A as much as ME2, but I liked the lore (how it is similar to D&D setting but not), liked companions and most of all, the replayability (especially compared to ME2). Mind you, I'm a big sucker for fantasy setting rpg with fun joinable NPCs.

4. NWN1 - I'm only putting this game up here because of mods. I absolutely loved some of mods I've played (especially, Shadow from Soul on fire and A Halo of Flies - both by Chris Huntoon). I haven't finished OC because I hated it and I finished SoU and hated it. I heard HotU is quite good but I got overwhelmed at first chapter and by the time I got to second chapter I was already getting sick of the game so I didn't finish it.

After this, I can't really think of games I really enjoyed. There are few games which could have made it into top 5/10 but didn't for several reasons:

PS:T - I loved story, but didn't enjoy the game. The sheer amount of texts was overwhelming and I got fed up with reading texts after texts on PC screen and a lot of times I got frustrated when dialogue started to go in loops. My poor English (especially back then) didn't help either. I did manage to finish this game, but skipping a lot of texts and heavily relying on walkthrough. I enjoyed and appreciated PS:T a lot more when I downloaded the pdf version and had a read through it like a book. Another minor reason that I didn't really enjoy this game was that, this game felt like it's for men, not women. I didn't feel comfortable playing role of a male protagonist and I didn't really understand charm of certain companions — especially Annah and Fall-From-Grace.

NWN2: MotB - I liked story of this game, like PS:T. I didn't enjoy this game for different reasons to PS:T though. I hated game mechanics. D&D 3.5 edition was too fiddely and hard to understand for me (I don't really like hardcore combats) but most of all, I hated the clunky interface/engine itself. It was extremely laggy and it wasn't like graphics were fantastic. Ultimately though, I gave up on this game because of the spirit eater mechanic. I got most of surviving tools by the time I quit (satiate and whatever else they were called). But I got stuck in a situation where if I don't rest, I will die from next battle due to low hp and ran out of spells. At the same time, if I rest, I would die anyway from hunger.

Other games I quite liked but wasn't as impressive to make it to top5/10: BG1 + TotSC, Diablo1, IWD series, ME1,

Games I disliked: DA2, The Witcher, Jade Empire, NWN2 OC, Drakensang 2

Games I really want to try in future: TES series (especially Skyrim & Morrowind), Fallout 3, and Arcanum.

I'm embarassed to say, I haven't had a proper go at any of TES series. I played both Oblivion and Morrowind, but all I did was download pretty hair/dress mods and barbie fun housing. Once I get new PC, I want to have a proper go at Skyrim. If I like Skyrim, I would like to have a go at Morrowind as well as I heard it's more hardcore than later 2.

Also, never tried Fallout series! Fallout game is in just about everyone's top 10 and I've never played a single on of them. My hubby as both Fallout3 and NV but he's recommending me to play FO3. So I will try that one as soon as I get new PC as well.

In addition, I've never had a proper go at Troika games either and at least 1 of 3 are in most of people's top 10 favourite. I decided to go for Arcanum because I'm not too farmilar with Vampire setting and I heard ToEE is for hardcore combat players (which I am not).

Divine Divinity was another that wanted to try but decided not to because it seems hardcore combat RPG as well.

I would have played KotoR1 but it broke my PC…. 'tis the reason I'm stuck with laptop at the moment, so no go with KotoR. I installed bloody game and it crashed 5 sec into the character creation (mind you, I did patch it to latest). So I reboot PC and try it for second time and I get blue screen of death about 2 minute into character creation. Next thing I know, I started to see artefacts even while booting Windows. Thought maybe my video card died so replaced it with new one and still same problem. Then I tried lots of troubleshooting ending up unclicking write combininb and it seemed to fix problem for few days. Then my PC just completely died. Won't even boot. So yeah. I hate KotoR >.>

Started playing all 3 last year but only put a couple of hours into each. I plan to play each from beginning to end in the next few months. Have them on a PS2 compilation, on a DC compilation, and on a GBA compilation (which only had 1 - 3). So as I said, I really do keep meaning to replay them, lol.

I really would like updated ports ala FF III/FF IV for the DS. But this will never happen.

I have the Ultimate Genesis Collection for PS3 that includes Phantasy Star 2-4 (supposedly PSI is also on the disc as an unlockable extra), but I haven't replayed them in years. I did replay PS1 a couple years back on my PC via an emulator.

Trust me, you're not missing anything by not playing PSIII. It's horrible compared to the rest of the series and a mediocre game on its own.

As far as updated ports go, PS I & II did get some very nice makeovers on the Playstation 2 in Japan. Unfortunately they still haven't been translated afaik. :-/

Back
Top Bottom