Project Eternity - Closes with >$4.1M

If they had announced Shaker as a spiritual successor to Anachronox, I'd have zero interest in it, and I'm pretty sure it would be doing worse than it is.

Despite the postings, I'm still a little unclear about what type of game this will be tactically. They talk about front ranks and back ranks, so is this an update of the Wizardry interface? I.e. no maneuver, just click and bash.

I bumped my pledge up to $50 at the last minute - seeing that this project is a key moment in RPG history. All those extra digital goodies will be nice too.

I'm so glad they hit 4.1M, this means we'll hopefully get a really polished, deep, content-rich and beautiful game. Paying all those salaries of talented developers is expensive and this way they can put more people onto the project.

Congrats to Obsidian! Maybe this marks a new beginning for the company, building up their own IP and not being shackled to the constraints of publishers.

If they had announced Shaker as a spiritual successor to Anachronox, I'd have zero interest in it, and I'm pretty sure it would be doing worse than it is.
You think? Let's see what happens when they retry. :)

Yeah I read that. It's Wizardry all right. Shrug. That was okay back when computers were slow and had little memory. But even Ultima IV had some tactical maneuvering.

Nonsense. That style of play had nothing to do with technical limitations.

No, I know. :) Do you honestly think an Anachronox-type game is going to generate more interest than a spiritual successor to Wizardry?

Actually yes, I do.

No, I know. :) Do you honestly think an Anachronox-type game is going to generate more interest than a spiritual successor to Wizardry?

I think you might be surprised. There's a lot of love for Anachronox and it would avoid the "didn't Brenda Garno just do the manuals?" arguments because Tom created a fabulous new IP back then and I'm pretty sure people would be confident he could do it again. Who knows?

If Wizardry has so much pulling-power (not saying it doesn't) and it's so clear this is a spiritual successor to Wizardry, so aren't they laughing all the way to the bank?

This was a fun campaign to follow, I´m glad it went well till the end :).

Actually yes, I do.
So do I, at least when it comes to a pitch by Loot Drop (due to presence of Tom Hall).

I think you might be surprised. There's a lot of love for Anachronox...

It's the 2nd most selling games on GoG right now, after Arcanum that was mentioned in PE's latest update.

I was surprised when I saw that too.

I think you might be surprised. There's a lot of love for Anachronox and it would avoid the "didn't Brenda Garno just do the manuals?" arguments because Tom created a fabulous new IP back then and I'm pretty sure people would be confident he could do it again. Who knows?

You're right, I would be surprised. Anachronox had a niche cult following at best, and I don't think an Anachronox 2 would even come close to generating the buzz of a Wizardry 9.

If Wizardry has so much pulling-power (not saying it doesn't) and it's so clear this is a spiritual successor to Wizardry, so aren't they laughing all the way to the bank?

I don't think it's that clear that Shaker is a spiritual successor to Wizardry, and they obviously hurt themselves with the initial presentation. Still, I highly doubt it would be doing better if it was a kickstarter for a game with jRPG-style combat.

It's the 2nd most selling games on GoG right now, after Arcanum that was mentioned in PE's latest update.

Without even checking, I know that's completely false.

Without even checking, I know that's completely false.

Too bad that you are totally wrong…and it's not in sale right now.

anachronox2.jpg

Too bad that you are totally wrong…and it's not in sale right now.

I guess that's the risk someone takes for not even checking eh? Although I would wonder if it is possible that the "top selling" filter means top selling over a recent time interval or of all time. I would find it less surprising if it regarded the former rather than the latter. Still it does suggest the game is suprisingly popular - either that or the Shaker kickstarter has a larger number of people seriously considering it and perhaps choosing to play one of the less known but critically well-received RPGs in the resume of one of two project leads before deciding.

Interesting. Anachronix is hard to get any other way though. As is Arcanum.

That's a good point actually. I was thinking only in terms of popularity, and not in availability.

Still, if you go to GOG's catalogue page and arrange the titles by "bestselling", Anachronox is nowhere near the top. Not even in the top 40 in fact. However, there's nothing to indicate if "bestselling" means since the beginning or just within the last week, month, etc.

Back
Top Bottom