Last game you finished, tell us about it

Icewind Dale + Heart of Winter/Trial of the Luremaster

Some of the IWD discussions have spilled over into other threads but since those were always on limited facets of the game thought I'd be worth it doing a broader posting in this thread.

My main worry when I first started playing IWD was that I would miss the conveniences that the Enhanced Editions of BG1 and 2 had. Luckily it took only a couple of hours until I had completely forgotten all the UI and handy practical improvements (i.e. quickloot) and was knee-deep in the actual game. Unfortunately that was only to find out how underwhelming it was.

The two main conclusions I reached after playing through Icewind Dale are that dungeon crawlers are not my kind of genre and that it is simply criminal to compare IWD to, the not just solid, but in many ways exceptional, other Infinity Engine games, namely Baldur's Gate (2) and Planescape: Torment. I normally have no problems with games whose chief focus is combat and/or contain huge amounts of fighting in the game, but if a game offers extremely little aside from combat through linear dungeons it can at best be a short, albeit entertaining, time sink.

Icewind Dale is a game that asks "Did you really like IE combat? Here's MORE (in immense quantities)" and delivers exactly that. Unfortunately while my feelings towards IE combat was far from actual dislike, it hardly blew me away and "merely" served perfectly as challenging gameplay that supported the actual strengths of each game. Strengths that IWD just doesn't bother having. The result , unless one is content with that spartan offering, is an experience that is burdened by a lot of the negatives and few, if any of the positives that made the rest of the IE games what they were.

The attempt to challenge Diablo through AD&D seemed like a bad idea from get-go and the implementation did little to counter that. The game still features the same hectic, clunky, chaotic and messy fights alongside the usual IE tedium (looting, inventory/resource management, pathfinding etc) only this time with significantly more challenging but unfortunately much more repetitive fights. As with all IE fights the occasional challenge could be dealt with by standard precautions and standard IE cheese. The player will spend the vast majority of his time hacking and slashing hordes of slightly varying enemies with the trash fights reinforcing the sense of lazy design and going through extreme filler in contrast to the content of the more rounded IE games.

What little time is not spent traveling from one critter filled dungeon after another is spent having short chatty encounters with the dungeon boss and short restocking/resting trips to the game's painfully lone and extremely bare excuse for a "hub", Kuldahar. The extreme linearity and repetitiveness is not mitigated by any sort of social or exploratory elements but is actually reinforced by the, frankly, pitiful number of sidequests (~a dozen(?) all but 1 tiny) and the hub offering practically nothing more than drawn out traveling distances between the various merchants and services.

The secondary aspects of the game actually paint a much better picture and indicate that there was potential for a much better product.

The story, while never reaching any noteworthy highs or ultimately escaping the random adventurers save the world cliché , is appropriately written and adequately performed with sense of mystery consistently being prevalent. Most of the voice acting is also quite good. If it fails for any other reason apart from being secondary and ultimately providing minimal motivation is that there is an awful lot of "Sorry adventurers your evil is not in this dungeon" which gets old as quickly as the trash fights. The game does actually open up a bit in the later chapters but that means you mostly get to pick the order in which you'll do the various parts of a dungeon before getting to the boss or the next dungeon. Unfortunately the end game boss and subsequently the ending cinematic were simply terrible.

The scarce social interactivity does feature occasional skillchecks but they don't alter enough to be even noteworthy. I had a small gripe with the tedious and artificial need to change which soulless character I was using to apply the odd skillcheck but that's a result of the entirely player-created party.

IWD's major highlight, namely the art direction and assets, are generally exceptional. The music is rightfully mentioned in most best video-game soundtrack discussions and I'll store many of the tracks, the 2d maps are gorgeous, probably on the level of PST, and alongside the best character portaits featured in an IE game and the equally good ambient sounds manage to create a strong atmosphere. That said pretty audiovisual design can't do to much to alleviate weak content and the same applies to IWD.

Heart of Winter
Expansion-wise, HoW is completely unconnected to the main game and somewhat short. Nevertheless I found the content to be a significant improvement over vanilla IWD. The new area features a much more alive town with a few side quests and non-utilitarian NPCs, even better artwork, beautiful tracks and an all-around better story. The dialogs and characters are decidedly more fleshed out with some fairly typical Chris Avellone- style NPCs and even a welcome reference to PST's Ravel. HoW was generally a much more well-rounded experience that I found much more enjoyable.

Trials of the Luremaster
Unlike HoW TotL was garbage that was so atrocious - even by DLC standards - that I'm surprised it passed Black Isle's QA. It consists of hordes of level-scaled trashmobs that at some points respawn and at others spawn out of thin air supported by a non-attempt to even provide some reason for being there. The final battle probably takes the cherry as the constantly respawning ghost party that supports the main target creates a result that is somewhere between absurd and weirdly interesting. An all-around tedious affair that served only to test my patience, while IWD would simply not get my recommendation, TotL was something I'd actively advice to avoid.

At the end of the day, if you take the combat away from IWD, there's practically nothing left. Since the game is targeted at someone who strongly enjoys the fighting or character development aspects (can you spend 2 hours just trying out parties?) of the Infinity Engine and I don't, the game appears to be limited and flawed to the point where I would be inclined to pick ANY game that is more well rounded over it, including the very poor ones. Regarding the sequel, knowing that it's largely the same affair and being aware of the development troubles it had, wild horses couldn't drag me to play it.

Totally agree about HoW feeling different than vanilla IWD. I too found it far more like the other IE games and really wished it was much larger.

Of Orcs and Men

As far as writing goes, this game is great. Not only did I find the story to be great, I also thought both of the main characters were really well written and I loved how their interactions evolved as the game progressed. These days it seems nearly every game claims to have mature themes but Of Orcs and Men really hits this nail on the head, and not just due to the regular use of profanity. The story covers racism, slavery, political ambition, violence, and betrayal.

Now onto the actual game systems which, IMO, drag the amazing writing down a bit and are probably responsible for this game being so overlooked.

The combat system isn't going to be everyone's cup of tea. It's just like Game of Thrones, super slow motion where you can queue up 4 moves for each character. If you haven't played GoT, it's like KOTOR but without the actual pause. Difficulty of combat spikes a bit too and can be pretty hard when you don't get assassinations done before hand. The mechanic of the Orc going berserk and losing complete control over him for awhile is both interesting and frustrating. It can turn the tide of a battle in your favor due to the damage boost but can also cost you a battle thanks to the lack of defense and potential to KO the goblin. Because the system is unique, it takes a little bit to get the hang of how to use it to your advantage. Also, when you lose control of him, he seems to target the closet enemy so it's very important to keep an enemy between him and Styx for safety reasons.

The game is really linear and there's almost no exploration. There's a handful of side quests but, they need to be done right then and there. There is also pretty much no C&C, the game is going to play out a certain way no matter what option you pick. Maps are very railroady with minimal hallway detours to find an occasional goody.

Each hero has 2 full trees and another tree split in half to work together/class specialty (you don't get your class specialty till Ch. 3 and you get to choose 1 of 2 options for each character). It's by no means one of the most flexible systems in the genre but, it is far better than some others.

Game also isn't a huge, 40+ hour epic. I would expect 10-20 hours depending on difficulty with combat.

TL;DR IMO, amazing writing dragged down by other mechanics. If you love story driven RPGs and the flaws don't bother you, it's worth checking out.

Thank you for the review for Of Orcs and Men greywolf00. I agree it's a good story driven RPG, and I can't wait to play their next RPG Bound By Flame.:excited:

Same here, they do such a good job with their writing. My only complaint is the length of their games, I just don't want the story to end yet. Though, there's an argument to be made about not watering down a great story, as well as now that they've got some experience and followers, maybe we'll get a bit longer game this time.

Also, I had so much fun with Of Orcs and Men, I'll probably grab Styx Master of Shadows on sale at some point, even though stealth type games aren't my thing and I'm not sure if Spiders is involved or if it's just Cyanide.

Would love to see an Of Orcs and Men 2 to see how the war goes.

Regarding the sequel, knowing that it's largely the same affair and being aware of the development troubles it had, wild horses couldn't drag me to play it.

You got that right.... I'm really disliking IWD2 at the moment. I'm wondering why I started this one at all. Also disliking IWD2 NPC mod as well compared to IWD1 NPC mod. Also, music and art is not inspiring as IWD1. In every aspect, IWD1 > IWD2.

Yeah but it requires HoW to play it... and I thought TotL was released because HoW was too short for an expansion?

Monkey Island 1 & 2 Special Edition (on ios)

A very fun, if a bit short, ride. I probably preferred the first one despite the 2nd being a much more complete game. I have to admit that I suck at adventures and with the cursor-less ipad controls not helping I resorted to the SE in-game hints and some Googling far too often for my liking which may be why the 2nd game's more intricate design didn't grab me as much. Even degenerate tendencies outside I can't imagine me completing a few of the puzzles in the pre-Internet days without hours of bruteforcing or sheer luck.

While the a lot of the goofy humor and the general silliness often didn't do much for me on overall the games were hilarious and provided me with enough strong laugh-out-loud moments to easily rank among the funniest I've played. The occasional dark and sarcastic jokes were simply brilliant. *

I played using predominantly the new artwork with brief switches to the old style, just out of curiosity of what the various scenes and characters looked like, and have to say I loved the art style more generally how full of character the games were. This brilliant theme and 5 minutes of the game's writing and art was all I needed to be enthralled.

On a side note, I just wanted to mention that resolving swordfights through insults and witty comebacks was probably one of the greatest gaming ideas ever.

*Guess I should be looking forward to Grim Fandango even more.

The Monkey Island Special Edition does NOT contain the German language game in the older graphics - only in the newer graphics part, which I didn't want to play - although this game was clearly translated into German language in the 90s.

How this was possible is a riddle to me : To NOT include an already existing translated game ... I fear that it has something to do with rights ...

After the death of Harold Ramis, I dropped Devil Whiskey to make a quick run through of Ghostbusters the Video Game.

I've beaten it at least 4 times, it's kinda short and mostly a generic 3rd person shooter as far as gameplay goes, with the primary difference being weapons 1 and 2's main shots. The proton pack and slime blower are the main thing you will use, with the shotgun thing, and it's stasis stream secondary, being almost useless. The number 4 weapon is useful, but not as much as the standard proton stream. The slime blower is mostly for minor puzzles and closing portals.

The main draw of this is the atmosphere. This game draws one in like the original movie, as it has the original actors reprising their roles. Only Rick Moranis and Sigourney Weaver are missing. The story is decent, and ties in the two movies together. Looking around the firehouse, it also ties in the Real Ghostbusters and Extreme Ghostbusters cartoons a bit, with the containment unit looking like a realistic RGB one, and EGB gear on a work bench.

Basically, a Ghostbusters nerd like me will find plenty to enjoy with this one. Others, not so much, as the levels are somewhat repetitive, and especially the last one, tend to drag on too long. The PC version's controls are less than polished as well, at least using KB and Mouse.

If you buy it, the Steam version only uses Steam itself for DRM; all other versions are riddled with viruses and should be avoided like the plague.

After 40 hours I've finished Thief (4).

Already posted a few times about it in "currently playing" thread and elsewhere so won't be repeating (all) things here.

The game is fun. Missions, sections and areas design is good and in some cases awsome.

Lockpicking and buttonpress minigames are not bad, but also bot good - there is no real challenge with those (unless you're in a rare area where you have to escape fast so you need to lockpick something as quickly as possible). The game contains just a few safes to crack and there is no skill to do it, but you have to find a code written or hinted somewhere. Or retry combinations, one by one, as it's always 0-9 on three wheels since the game wont block a safe if too many wrong combinations are entered.

There is a RPG element and that's buying better equipment and upgrading certain skills. While better equipment is a must as without it you can't disable traps for example, skills you can upgrade are… Irrelevant. At least if you play on normal difficulty like me.

Mobs respawn. Why? Because sometimes there is a scripted event they do. And only because of that. Since you have to cross over an area many times as the city is divided into areas, those respawns quickly become very annoying - as they don't respawn only on the next chapter. Also, when you finish the game, it suggests you to replay missions where you didn't find all collectibles or fullfilled challenges - yet the bloody streetmobs are still there, to be respawned till a doomsday.

The story is very interesting and intensive in the first part of the game, but near the end, it becomes… Dunno. Not that good. No, the game doesn't end like ME3, there is a proper story closure here.
While graphically the game looks great, the music, or whatever you hear in it that reminds you on music, is pure crap. Can't believe this is a game that came from the same devteam who made DX:HR where music was so good I've replayed the game just because of that.

The game has a few bugs. According to Steam users chapter 3 main quest has a gamestopper bug (I'd say it's a design omission as they "forgot" to add a certain arrow type into an area) and I got a gamestopper bug in a side mission where a certain NPC disappeared. There is some problem with the savegames system, it respawns broken vases and bottles on reload, but NPCs sometimes disappear on reload.

The code is not optimized at all. Your graphics card will get exhausted fast and there is a stutter problem reported on various hardware except on the latest components available on the market. The game size is 20Gb and I really can't understand what had to be so huge inside it.

As I played old Thief games ages ago, honestly can't do a proper comparision, simply I forgot much. But since JDR is on Thief:Gold, my next replay will be old Thief trilogy. Instead, since this is a franchise reboot that wants to get a new fanbase, I'll forget old Thief games and say…

This game should have been on polishing (optimization) process at least a month or two more and should have had a test group of players who'd point out for certain the annoyance of respawns. There is a hate going on all over internet from before the game was even released and I can't understand why, the game is not a disaster. While it's definetly fun, it's also not a masterpiece nor nearmasterpiece.
What we have here is a bit above average product that could have been better.
DLC? Be reasonable. Don't buy it. You won't enjoy it, but will get annoyed with the same respawns again. But the whole thing was fun enough that I'll buy the full sequel definetly.

6/10

[EDIT]
According to Kotaku, Eidos Montreal kicked out nearly 30 people:
http://kotaku.com/big-layoffs-at-thief-developer-eidos-montreal-1536315021

Also, on coments there, a very important thing:
It's been heavily noted that the team that worked on Deus Ex was a completely separate team from Thief.
Didn't know this. But now I can understand the difference in the quality.

Last edited:
Wrapped up The Curse of the Monkey Island. While the puzzles and secondary characters were better than in the previous games I thought the main story and the actual islands suffered. The ending also felt very rushed, #2 had ~20% of its content in the latter stages while #3 had about 5%. On overall while the execution was very good, the series' strong point, its novelty, began to somewhat wear off in the Curse. Nevertheless Murray deserves a special mention.

Given that Escape is rarely mentioned alongside the other ones I'll move straight to Grim Fandango (if I can find it).

Last edited:
After 22 hours, I've finished South Park: The Stick of Truth.

Solved all sidequests of course and explored probably everything (okay, couldn't be arsed to go buy all equipment just to get Steam achievement and similar crap).

The game is full of disgusting stuff. You're bombarded with something gross everywhere. But it's not there to make you throw up, it's there to criticize modern society in satirical way. And it's done brilliantly. There are some who will disagree of course, but that's their problem. Like this one on metacritic:

9bcbwg.jpg

I love outrages like that one, it probably comes from a person who wants to remove sexual education from schools completely.
But that is something those who enjoy the show and those who saw an episode or a few know already.
I'm not going to share any moment from the game, just will say I can't remember the last time I laughed so much and so often. This game has more humor than all Hollywood movies together I've seen in my life.

The graphics is not some fancy eyecandy modern engines stuff, it's made as "bad" as in original cartoons. And you're playing - a cartoon. Seriously, you get that feeling. Who doubted Obsidian after Alpha Protocol no save anywhere and after DS3 grinder, this game will show them what these guys are capable of if let to do their stuff without a pressure from a publisher. Maybe it's was luck THQ went down, maybe it's because some new winds blow in Ubisoft so uPlay is not required here, maybe it could happen we never see this game released. It had to take guts to release this. And if it wasn't released, I can't imagine what a shame that would be.

It's not a pure RPG. It's a mix of RPG and adventure. And it's done in an awsome way. While sometimes you have to take one or another approach, in most cases it's you who chooses to fight or to solve "a puzzle" to remove an obstacle. No matter what approach you take, the rewards are the same.

Music in the game is nothing above average. It's not a minus of course, but ppl won't be buying soundtrack which is kinda a loss. However, sfx is brilliant as usual when it comes to Black Isle Obsidian.

There is a level cap (on level 15). Mobs respawn endlessly. Which means, you may grind your way to the cap very early and then end the game fast. Do you really want to eat the bone and not the meat?
Luckily, you can run past all those respawns and never pick a fight with them. By doing sidequests you'll reach the cap anyway. And you don't want to miss those sidequests as some of them grant you some nice goodies.
Also there are perks you unlock by making friends with people, and you can have max 10 perks active. Counterfart perk is bugged, so in case someone wants to take that one, just skip it unless it's patched.

The game has a few bugs, but is not bug-o-rama. I got stuck twice, on a certain ladder couldn't move up or down, and on nuke abortion (erm… you'll know when you reach that moment) the game didn't react to my mouseclicks. Both were solved easily by restarting the game. :)

The only really bad thing in the game is controls.
The game is all about gamepad controls and emulating buttons on a PC keyboard gets quickly very annoying. Unbelievably annoying. I'm not saying it's impossible to do things, but struggling with keys takes the fun away.
On consoles, this is practically a noobjection, fun all the way, a masterpiece game. On PC, sorry, but it's not. It's just a nearmasterpiece.

As I've said in one recent post, if this game came out last year, it would have been GOTY. The competition was practically DLC:The Game and a few wellmade kickstarted indies. Stick of Truth is more than those combined.
This year, there will be numerous titles released, but it'll still be hard to beat the Stick of Truth's storytelling.

I hope I didn't spoil anything or I'd be angry on myself if I did, the stuff from the game you simply have to experience yourself. This game is a musthave in anyone's collection and you won't be sorry for buying it.
But do not touch it if you're just a kid! PC version deserves:
9/10

[EDIT]
http://steamcommunity.com/app/213670/discussions/0/558749824588892365/
From Steam to aussies:
Meganubis said:
Hey guys, so I got sick of the censorship on my copy (Australian) so I decided to do something about it. I created a Patch that will remove all the Censorship (To my knowledge, ive tested the nazis and alien probes)

So Have at it :)

http://www.mediafire.com/download/v3zvdi3z9uwbe1m/South_Park_Stick_of_Truth_Uncensored_Patch_v2.zip

To Install just extract the files to the games dir
You want this. Trust me, you want this.

Last edited:
That fix is actually from a scene group you know the kind that are the bane of the entertainment industry. I love how irony works.:lol:

I can verify it does work on most international editions.

Last edited:
I think it's not important who really made the fix, that guy on Steam or someone else (btw in that thread they mention another fix too, which apparently also works).
This game should not be censored. Contains 18+ material and it's enough to keep it on that without mutilating the content.

This game should not be censored. Contains 18+ material and it's enough to keep it on that without mutilating the content.
I agree but it's not going to change as Germany, and Australia always censor games. Time to elect new younger officials guys, and get those laws replaced.:plotting:

Yea, I already said we pay taxes so some others can do a worthless job.
Stick a warning on a product (box? poster? digital pic?) that the content is disturbing, adult only or something, but do not cut things away.

Do we pay someone to behead sculptures if the face is ugly? Of course not! We'd be crazy to do that. But when it comes to entertainment, it's a well spent taxmoney to eviscerate the material. Right.

Anyway, I'm not alone who feels that the artwork should be left as it is. As a reminder, because of public outcry, Weinstein company decided not to cut 30 minutes out of the movie Snowpiercer and now the whole world will see the uncut version, not just Korea, France and the rest of us who sweared to ignore it in cinemas and import the full movie from french amazon.

Last edited:
Grim Fandango

It's easy to see where this one shines. The setting was unique, dark and modern and the game was basically a fictional take on contemporary themes. The protagonist (Manny Calavera) was a flawed, smart and self-deprecating (but not whining) skeleton who tries to make the best of some pretty bad circumstances. The writing was very sharp, littered with dry sarcasm and smart punchlines without being built on silliness.

Its story is build upon some inherently interesting themes and a number of well-written characters who were almost all obviously a product of much inspiration and love. The concepts it touches upon (death, redemption, guilt, judgment & corruption) easily result in a memorable and exceptionally unique and beautifully surreal experience. With that being said, likely due to its comic nature, it doesn't explore those concepts to great depth which keeps its story from being one of my favorites in the medium. Its use of years as chapters and the fact that the adventure spans across 4 years gives it a sense of epicness that in turn increases the perceived importance of the story. I'm surprised such a device isn't utilized more often, usually saving the world/yourself/someone else takes a matter of weeks and the determination is never really underlined.

I found the puzzles easier than in the MI games, although they also generally made more sense and felt absurd less often. The fact that it featured many self-contained situations helped quite a bit. The aftermath of the puzzles was often just as funny without being an obvious wink by LucasArts towards the player. A particular puzzle that required me paying attention to mere details in descriptions and environments was as great as it was demanding.

Grim Fandago's peculiar style manages to keep the game from feeling dated (with the stark exception of Glottis) despite being early-3D, I actually preferred the old models to some high-res ones I found online. The music of the game, namely the jazz tracks it had were exceptional and helped bring especially Rubacava to life, as an incredible, atmospheric hub despite the pretty awkward actual exploring of it. Even if the writing wasn't quite that good, the voice overs were remarkable all across the board. Manny rocketed into the list of my favourite video game characters quite easity, then again I possibly have a thing for skeletons (PST's Morte, and MI's Murray).

The one negative of the game has to be its tank-like controls, which I had to remap to a gamepad to make sense of, if I ever go back to it I'll definitely opt for the already pretty darn usable point-and-click mod.

As an overview, while it provided less laugh-out-loud moments and arguably more streamlined gameplay than the classic Monkey Island games, it more than made up for it through the writing, the characters and the overall story.

Having finished the adventure games I wanted to play, I'll move to something more RPGy(?) now. Meanwhile I'd like to find which other adventure games I ought to play (currently considering Day of the Tentacle, Psychonauts and The Longest Journey),any input from our resident adventure-nuts ?

I don't know much about adventure games but I did hear good things about Longest Journey. Isn't there also a Kickstarter based on this series?

Back
Top Bottom