50 Wierdest PC Gaming Moments

Dhruin

SasqWatch
It's a typical quiet weekend so I thought I'd throw in a silly Top 50 article. This one comes from UK gaming journalist Richard Cobbett and is titled Cirque du Weird - his list of 50 weird, interesting or "wrong-est" moments in PC gaming history. There is a weak RPG link with Fallout and Vampire: Bloodlines popping up and old-time gamers might get something out of other moments that range from the Ceasar III manual to Roberta Williams topless:
Political correctness. Got to love it. Unless you’re Fallout, the adult RPG forced to get rid of all its killable children at the last minute to appease the European market. The problem is, they’re not all gone. Some are only invisible, getting in your way during the game, and with one pet dog still chasing and panting at its hanging on master. How sad. Sniff. A single sad tear falls.
More information.

Pretty funny little countdown, I remember a lot of them. I'm actually gonna use a quote from this for my sig.

Typing of the Dead is a truly bizarre title, and I cant help but love it! I think it still can be gotten on the Underdogs btw if you want to try it out for yourself. Grab the sound folders from the demo version to bring it up to snuff. No pun intended.

The Bad Mojo dev interview video is quality, I was cracking up a couple times!

I loved the reminiscence to Zork: Grand Inquisitor. You were dead without the ability to invert spells... DEAD. A very funny adventure with lots of weird spells that could be put to horrific use.

Finally got to see Typing of the Undead. And there's a sequel in the works! What does that say about the games industry.O_O

Ionstormsucks should enjoy #39.

Very good read.

Loved the Puzzles from Hell #2 :)

Vangers. Indeed. I bought it only because I knew it was going to be WEIRD.
NO game has surpassed it EVER.

(To my shame I must say that I haven't played it so far. Um.)

I even remember Endorfun. I didn't buy it. Maybe I should look out for it on flea markets.

And actually, Dopefish belches under water ! (I still have that Commander Keen game ! :D - It's still downloadable I think from 3DRealms as a Shareware version.)

Last edited:
Great article. They forgot to mention that the Dopefish is also referenced in Quake.

Ah, Toonstruck. Massively under-rated. It's the best adventure game I've ever played.

Great article. They forgot to mention that the Dopefish is also referenced in Quake.
"Since then, developers have snuck it into (amongst others) Rise of the Triad, Wacky Wheels, all three Quakes (...)"

"Since then, developers have snuck it into (amongst others) Rise of the Triad, Wacky Wheels, all three Quakes (...)"

Doh! I must have missed that somehow :blush:

Just follow the link in the Dopefish paragraph, because there all appearances are listed.

It is funny with all of the attention on the idiocy of politicians regarding video games in the US (and the general violence vs. sexuality oddity) that so much of the list shows that there are strange game restriction processes in place worldwide ...

But Blood with no blood for Walmart .. .priceless ... :D

I'm surprised Oblivion's nipple controversy didn't make it on the list. It was definitely weird.

For anyone who missed it, Bethesda put nipples on women but also permanently affixed their bras. A modder then made the bras removeable. The government pounced on that, claiming children were being exposed to nudity, and the game's rating was ultimately changed to "Mature." Beth called the modder a "hacker" and denied any responsibility.

Everybody was talking about women's nipples for a while -- everybody.

Kind of like the Janet Jackson Super Bowl 'accidental' nipple thing. eh?

Rather weasally of Bethesda to call a modder a hacker just because he enabled a feature already put there by the devs.

But that was exactly what he was, in some ways.
Yes. It's a good bet that Bethesda's response to the controversy was carefully crafted. By now just about everyone has heard of hackers, even if they can't actually define the term. Most would probably describe them as a persistent nuisance.

Beth's press release omitted mention of their free Construction Set for modders and the TES modding tradition. Pretty disingenuous, if you ask me.

Last edited:
Hmmmm... both my female and male characters enjoyed running around naked in Daggerfall... naked with a horned helmet, but still more or less naked. Well, Beth... lest we forget ;).

Back
Top Bottom