Getting a new computer

zahratustra

SasqWatch
It's time for ditching my old comp and getting a new one. I am a gamer but not an extreme one and so I am toying with an idea of buying Dell XPS 630 with following components:

CPU: Intel® Core™2 E8500 (6MB,3.16 GHz, 1333FSB)
OS: Genuine Windows Vista® Ultimate Bonus (meaning I get XP preinstalled and can upgrade free to Vista later)
Memory: 4GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 800MHz - 4 DIMMs
Hard Drive: 500GB - 7200RPM, SATA 3.0Gb/s, 16MB Cache
DVD Drive: Dual Drives: 48x Combo + 16x DVD+/-RW w/ dbl layer write capable
Monitor: 22 inch SP2208WFP Wide Flat Panel with Webcam and Mic
Graphic Card: nVidia GeForce 8800 GT 512MB or Dual 256MB Radeon ATI HD 2600 XT

I am buying this system in US and, overall, it will cost me $1884.

I would appreciate your advice on few issues:

1- what would be your overall opinion of this build?
2- Do you think that I can get comparable (and pre-build) system cheaper from somewhere else?
3- Should I bite the bullet and immediatelly go for Vista Ultimate SP1 (extra $150)?
4- Which graphic card (from 2 above) should I go for or maybe there is a better choice in the same price range?

Your imput will be greatly appreciated!

Last edited:
1)Why the two video cards -> Go for the new Nvidia 9800GTX (not the to expensive GX2) Also might think about more then 1 HD if you want RAID (2 * 500GB in RAID0?).

2)I think it's quite expensive -> One can let assemble a pc for a cheaper price I'd think.

3)If it costs an extra $150, don't do it unless you really want to test vista (the geeks like it -> I'm one)

4)Already answered in 1), but I advice to stay clear from ATI right now. I think it's better for someone who's still AMD fan and wants the cheaper stuff.

Bartacus those are cards that Dell offers. I am not hell bent on getting one or the other :D

Sounds insanely expensive.

Maybe you should wait a few weeks longer. The new graphics cards are coming, and it seems ATI is, surprisingly, giving it to nVidia very hard.

Well since I am in a asking questions mode: I am in upstate NY now can somebody recommend a company (somewhere near by) which will assemble and deliver a system for me for less than Dell's?

I would know where to look in UK but I have no idea about US!

In latest video card pricing + performance scenario, the newest ATI Radeon HD 4870 and 4850 win against nVidia new GT200&260 cards hands down.

Linky

Link 2
Sure, the most powerful card is GT260/GTX280 but its price makes me laugh. Go rob a bank, nVidia.

Last edited:
the specs are nice but a bit overpriced I may say...

I see that all the important things have already been said... nvidia instead of ati and also another 500gb hard so you can put them in Raid...

If I were you I wouldn't jump for that vista upgrade for 150 $

also... I want to ask you... do you play WoW? I am sure you are a GM on the server I play :lol:

What happened to your old computer? Did you sell it? I usually recycle the parts from old computer (like quality power supply, hard drivers, etc) to new if I dont sell it. Saves lots of money. You can transfer windows xp too (even if its oem) as long as you have the install disk.

The most I have ever payed was ~1000€ for new computer (E6600,2G,8800GTS640 1,5 years ago). Usually though the upgrade costs around 700€. I had a vista upgrade too for my xp but didnt use it. So many of my games that I havent even got to play yet simply dont work in it. I need to make a multiboot xp/vista/windows7 in future.

For monitor I would go straight to 24" LCD or 32"+ LCD HDTV. The one reason why consoles are popular is big screens for gaming - big screen enhances the experience quite a bit.

Last edited:
In latest video card pricing + performance scenario, the newest ATI Radeon HD 4870 and 4850 win against nVidia new GT200&260 cards hands down.

Linky

Link 2
Sure, the most powerful card is GT260/GTX280 but its price makes me laugh. Go rob a bank, nVidia.

Remus, perhaps those cards can already be bought, but I don't see it here in Belgium. -> I can't compare without seeing the specs and the price. To me it sounds like a lot of ati faboyisme, cause which publisher would bring out a card to compete with your adversaries 2 generations ago card. ATI HD 3xxx was to compete with the nvidia 9xxx and they got squashed.
Perhaps these cards put ati back on the map, but it remains to be seen. When nvidia lowers his prices again (like they did with the 8800 GTS 512MB), it could easily turn again.

For quite awhile now ATI keep lagging behind nVidia in the graphic card market. They lacked compelling products even when 3800 series marketed at more attractive (lower) price, simply because the performance results was unimpressive. But apparently the 4800 series are different. E.g the performance of Radeon HD 4870 could easily competes with the more expensive GT260. Of course nVidia could change the current scenario if they lowered the price of GT260. Or the rarity of GDDR5 causes the price of HD 4870 to increased. According to the Tech Report:

The RV770 GPU looks to be an unequivocal success on almost every front. In its most affordable form, the Radeon HD 4850 delivers higher performance overall than the GeForce 9800 GTX and redefines GPU value at the ever-popular $199 price point. Meanwhile, the RV770's most potent form is even more impressive, in my view. Onboard the Radeon HD 4870, this GPU sets a new standard for architectural efficiency—in terms of performance per die area—due to two things: a broad-reaching rearchitecting and optimization the of R600 graphics core and the astounding amount of bandwidth GDDR5 memory can transfer over a 256-bit interface. Both of these things seem to work every bit as well as advertised. In practical terms, what all of this means is that the Radeon HD 4870, a $299 product, competes closely with the GeForce GTX 260, a $399 card based on a chip twice the size.

On Guru3D, the reviewer commented:
Pure bliss, pure victory, AMD's empire strikes back ! Let me call it, though both cards will win and lose from each other here and there, the Radeon HD 4870 is in fact competing with the GeForce GTX 260 in performance....So there you have it, if I where in the store right now clearly I'd save myself a hundred bucks and pick the Radeon HD 4870.

While nVidia could strikes back with cheaper GT260, AMD could also released an improved version, or better driver but in the end the competition will benefit the customer! So if you want to buy a video card NOW - get the HD 4870.

Last edited:
HD4870 is a bit hot and noisy Ive heard. But you might be able to install more silent cooling into it. Personally Im just too lazy to do that nowadays and just wait for a version that comes with built-in silent cooling. My current 8800GTS is so silent that Im not very eager to change it to anything thats atleast equal in noise tests. The new nvidia cards dont seem any better though iirc.

I'm using 8800GTS as well, the G92 core though. It's quiet and cool in my well ventilated Cooler Master ammo 533 case.

8800GTS here too (320MB version; the 512 wasn't out when I got it). Great card -- my system is CPU-bottlenecked for most things now, and it runs very cool and quiet. In fact, it's the first video card I've had in years where I haven't changed the stock fan and heatsink. In fact, it's quieter than the Zalman cooler I had on its predecessor!

Great imput all round guys! Much appreciated!

gaboru93 - I do play Guild Wars but not WoW. As for the second HD: of course I am getting it but not from Dell. I can get 500 gb HD much cheaper somewhere else :)

zakhal - I gave my comp to friends I shared house with. They will still find some use for it. Unfortunatelly only parts I could recycle were internal and external HDs. Upgrade just wasn't possible because my machine was over 4 years old and of obsolete architecture (with AGP and old style RAM).

As far as graphic cards are concerned: how about if I go for nVidia GeForce 8800 GT 512MB for now and than upgrade once it will become clearer how new generation of mid-range of Nvidia and Radeon cards compare? Nvidia 9800GTX is out of my price range ( would cost me extra $450). The other option would be to pay extra $100 for Nvidia's 8800 GTS and stick to it for a while.......

The 8800GT is an excellent card and very good value for money -- it's as fast or faster than the GTS but costs less. The only issue I can think of is that it's rather noisy; it doesn't have the nice, quiet two-slot cooler of the GTS.

I doubt you'll feel any huge pressure to upgrade any time soon. Consoles set the bar for graphics performance, and any of these cards are well above that bar. They ought to be good for at least another two product cycles.

Regarding the talk about the Radeon HD 4870, I've waited to buy a new system for at least a year now and finally it seems there's a card with very good performance in the price class I have aimed for. :)

I also think it's good for the graphics card market as a whole that neither nVidia nor ATI is seen as the clearly better alternative for too long, I'd love to see AMD do something similar, although the CPUs are getting both better and cheaper anyway.

EDIT: Reading some more reviews, still preferring and especially recommending the 8800 GT over the 4850 seems nothing short of foolish, what an amazing card for $200.

Last edited:
I like 4850 card Toaster and I like 4870 even more. Trouble is that Dell doesn't offer any of them as a part of the package. So, if I can't squeeze it out of them, I will HAVE to get 8800GT and upgrade it to something more appropriate asap.

power supply is the biggest concern you should look out for when buying a pre made computer. usually they give you just a big enough power supply to run what it comes with. a new graphics card, and to a lesser extent slapping in more hard drives can produce unwanted effects. in the worse case scenerio, ie when i tried to update my parents vaio, the power supply can even be so particular that replacements don't even fit as they have 'unique' case designs.

You make important point CD, I will have to check on the power supply for my machine. And, possibly, get a more powerfull one from the start....

SLI or CF is just a marketing gimick...got more $$? get a better card. I saw a while age an ok HP deal at Costco for $1300 - 24" Lcd, Q6700, Vista Ultima, 8800gt. The best priced card now is ati4850 or nv9800

Back
Top Bottom