Bethesda making Mature Wii game. First pics.

You might want to think twice about pulling review scores ... looking at Etrian Odyssey II in terms of scores would put it as 'better' than The Witcher, Gothic, Jade Empire, Arcanum, King's Bounty and many others that would likely populate a 'best of PC RPG in the last 2000's' list ....

Yes but I think we're all aware that there's generally a different standard for the way console and PC games are reviewed. You can basically shit in a box and label it "RPG", and many of these console reviewers will still give it 8 out of 10. That's not to say all console RPGs are shit, because there's quite a few I like myself. But don't try to tell me that the Nintendo DS has more quality RPGs than "all other platforms combined" since 2006, unless you're referring to consoles only.

And also largely the types of games - adventure, classic RPG's, etc - that no longer find a home on the PC.

Not to nitpick but.....

"Classic RPGs"? Like what? .....Not to mention there's probably a good reason they're not finding a home on the PC.

Suikoden teirkreis, Dark tower?(too retro for me), Etrian Oddessy 1&2, Mazes of Fate, Chrono Trigger, FF4 are all good games, i would put Suikoden Teirkreis
Mazes of Fate, Chrono Trigger as classics.

Suikoden teirkreis, Dark tower?(too retro for me), Etrian Oddessy 1&2, Mazes of Fate, Chrono Trigger, FF4 are all good games, i would put Suikoden Teirkreis
Mazes of Fate, Chrono Trigger as classics.

Highlighted the directly PC style games ... and definitely Dark Spire as well.

Yes but I think we're all aware that there's generally a different standard for the way console and PC games are reviewed. You can basically shit in a box and label it "RPG", and many of these console reviewers will still give it 8 out of 10.

I completely agree in the case of consoles ... but I haven't found that to be the case with the DS. Take again the case of Etrian Odyssey, and Dark Spire, and so many others.

I need to start using my DS more. Oddly enough, I use my PSP all the time - I managed to take all my PS1 CDs and convert them to ISOs, then convert those to PSP-compatible image files and put them on one of my SD Cards. Last year when I was interning in DC I beat Parasite Eve, Suikoden, and Chrono Cross while commuting on the metro.

Last year when I was interning in DC I beat Parasite Eve, Suikoden, and Chrono Cross while commuting on the metro.

Bought Parasite Eve 1&2 off Ebay last year, I haven't had time to play them yet, although I finished them years ago when they were originally released. I remember liking PE2 a lot more because it had a 'survival horror' feel to it.

I could never make it very far into Chrono Cross for some reason, despite being a fan of it's prequel. I didn't like the combat, and the characters felt uninspired to me, especially when compared to Chrono Trigger.

Probably a port of Redguard or that Pirate game.

Bought Parasite Eve 1&2 off Ebay last year, I haven't had time to play them yet, although I finished them years ago when they were originally released. I remember liking PE2 a lot more because it had a 'survival horror' feel to it.
I liked PE1 better, personally. PE2 was cool as well but I didn't get very far in it.

I could never make it very far into Chrono Cross for some reason, despite being a fan of it's prequel. I didn't like the combat, and the characters felt uninspired to me, especially when compared to Chrono Trigger.
I remember Chrono Cross's combat being pretty damn easy, and a lot of its characters definitely suffered from "Suikoden Syndrome", but the characters that actually mattered were pretty good, and I actually found its story and plot much better than Trigger.

As an aside ... I'm starting Jagged Alliance on the DS tonight ... and I sure as heck wouldn';t complain about PS:T ;)

I remember Chrono Cross's combat being pretty damn easy, and a lot of its characters definitely suffered from "Suikoden Syndrome", but the characters that actually mattered were pretty good, and I actually found its story and plot much better than Trigger.

That's what annoyed me about CC, there were so many joinable NPCs (wasn't there like 50?!) , how did you know which ones mattered? Maybe I'll give it another try someday, but I can't imagine ever liking it as much as Chrono Trigger. They just made the plot overly complicated imo.

As an aside ... I'm starting Jagged Alliance on the DS tonight ... and I sure as heck wouldn';t complain about PS:T ;)

Ho! That's out?! Is it an entirely new game, or remark of 2(which I just started playing...) Can you let me know how it compares?

That's what annoyed me about CC, there were so many joinable NPCs (wasn't there like 50?!) , how did you know which ones mattered? Maybe I'll give it another try someday, but I can't imagine ever liking it as much as Chrono Trigger. They just made the plot overly complicated imo.

Yeah. Well, the main characters of note (other then Serge) are uh...Kid, Harle...and a few others. I basically only used the same 4 or 5 guys the whole game. And yeah, the plot got complicated, but once I managed to figure out what was going on I had a pretty damn good time of it.

Ho! That's out?! Is it an entirely new game, or remark of 2(which I just started playing...) Can you let me know how it compares?

It is a port of the original. Looks and plays great so far.

You lost me with that one. Are you trying to say they're porting PS:T to the DS?!

What I am saying is that having ports of classics that many gamers never experienced before due to console choice, age, or whatever reason isn't a bad thing. ChronoTrigger DS was one of the best games on any platform in 2008 ... even if it is basically an updated port of an old game.

I *wish* they would bring PS:T to the DS ... stuff like Broken Sword and Jagged Alliance is great, but hey ...

Do you guys think Bethesda will reveal their game at E3?

Nope their wii game. That game is for ps360.

Back
Top Bottom