Blackguards - Impression @ Slimgamer

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Slimgamer has a new impression article from the E3 showing of Blackguards.
Blackguards was, for me, one of the biggest surprises of E3. Going into the show I’d never even heard of the game, yet I left with it taking a prominent spot on my radar and near the top of my “Most Anticipated” list.
According to the developers, Blackguards is based off of a PnP RPG system known as Dark Eye, a system that we’ve been told is very popular in Europe. In particular, Blackguards is a darker take on Dark Eye, and this is apparent right from the beginning. The game begins with your (fully-customizable) player character protecting a baroness who is being attacked by wild, dangerous wolves. Unfortunately, you’re not quick enough and the wolves kill the baroness and then disappear, leaving you on the hook for her murder, after which you’re quickly imprisoned and sentenced to death. It’s after this short intro that the game begins, meaning Blackguards jumps right into the action from the word go.
Blackguards looks to be an incredibly interesting take on the RPG genre. Playing not as heroes, but as a group of villains looks to be a fresh perspective on the genre, and the combat system provides near limitless tactical potential. Even the equipment system looked interesting, with every piece of your character being equip-able and customizable, including combat style being set to either offensive, defensive, or balanced for each weapon class. Blackguards has a lot of potential and is worth keeping an eye on.
More information.

One of the E3 videos posted here piqued my interest, too. Anyone know when this one is scheduled for release?

One of the E3 videos posted here piqued my interest, too. Anyone know when this one is scheduled for release?

Don't think there's any announced release date yet. IGN has Q3 2013 listed but the official site just lists TBA.

Anyway, I'm really looking forward to this one!

I thought the stats looked familiar--similar to Drakensang, IIRC. Nothing wrong with that if you like a detailed character/equipment system.

Oh, I either forgot or didn't notice this yet. Another Dark Eye game? That's very welcome news.

So, in Dishonoured you are freed in prison by a prisoner who wants to use you as a kind of tool for breaking free because he sees it that he alone cannit break free on his own ?
I wrote this down in my RPC notes.

Back
Top Bottom