Fallout 3 - Interview @ PCGZine

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Can't say I've ever heard of this webzine but Briosafreak's Fallout 3 blog is pointing out a Fallout 3 interview with Pete Hines in PCGZine's downloadable .pdf webzine (direct download link - 34Mb). Here's a snip:
PCG: Players can expect different outcomes if they thread a neutral path in Fallout 3. Will you be tripping conservative players up with disproportionately good/evil outcomes if they try to mind their own business?
Hines: Yes, whether your karma is good, evil, or neutral, you’ll experience different things. At one point in the game, if you’re evil, the good guys try to kill you, or if you’re good the evil guys try to kill you. If you’re neutral, everybody leaves you alone. So there are drawbacks and advantages for neutral just as there are for good and evil players, and we’ve spend a lot of time working on the gameplay options and outcomes for that “grey” area in between as sometimes the most interesting choices can be found there.
More information.

I haven't really thought about it, to be honest. Bethesda gets so much exposure - from the mainstream mags and big sites right through to NMA and DaC - that I'd sort of rather work on other stuff. And given the way Bethesda structures their PR (they'll use the E3 demo, or close to it, for another 6 months +), it's hard to see much room to get different answers.

Maybe I'm wrong. Do you think there's much scope to tread new ground (that Bethsoft would answer)?

Do you think there's much scope to tread new ground (that Bethsoft would answer)?

In the new year yeah, sure. They seem to be releasing some new pics and even some footage soon, then they will be sort of quiet, but after a couple of months they will start a new media blitz, and no doubt will be able to talk about things that have been under wraps.

This place could make an interesting interview from a CRPG fan standpoint, they have lots of exposure on the console side, wouldn't hurt them to expand to other audiences in these final months.

If you can get a member of the design team into circumstances where he has to speak off-the-cuff -- a chatroom, a phone call -- he might accidentally say something interesting. Nothing to be gained by inviting Pete to recite this month's talking points.

abbaon said:
Nothing to be gained by inviting Pete to recite this month's talking points.
Lol, nicely put and yes please Dhruin no pete! :(

If you can get a member of the design team into circumstances where he has to speak off-the-cuff -- a chatroom, a phone call -- he might accidentally say something interesting. Nothing to be gained by inviting Pete to recite this month's talking points.

Bethesda's PR doesn't really work that way, as Dhruin mentioned. Whenever you talk to them you'll have to speak to one of the heads. Preferably Pete Hines or Todd Howard, on the outside Emil Pagliarulo or Gavin Carter. Emil is the only designer among the lot, and they all recite the same PR-mantrum because Pete and his PR division direct exactly what they can talk about.

Bethesda is one of the most pointless companies to interview, to be honest.

Bethesda's PR doesn't really work that way, as Dhruin mentioned.
Didn't say it did. I said there's nothing to be gained from a Bethsoft interview unless you can score a real-time chat with someone on the design team. We can't argue when we're in agreement.

Didn't say it did. I said there's nothing to be gained from a Bethsoft interview unless you can score a real-time chat with someone on the design team. We can't argue when we're in agreement.

Oh, right, sorry. I was just sayin', you can't get someone in the design team in a non-PR situation like that, it's impossible with BethSoft.

Maybe Dhruin can just make the call in the future, he's got a good sense of neutrality and I really like the way the site focuses on smaller independents. bethseda sort of makes my skin crawl after oblivion but admittedly I would read it if he did such a interview.

Back
Top Bottom