InXile Entertainment - Ken St. Andre Joins

You know, part of me thinks we shouldn't be that excited. I mean, if I heard that the original King Crimson was getting back together record a sequel to Court of the Crimson King, I don't know that I'd expect the result to be good.

Still, there is an odd sort of legitimacy to it all. I hope they pull it off.

I was thinking along the same lines, killias. Just because someone was an original doesn't mean they're still good. In computer time, Wasteland was written centuries ago. Do any of the devs have recent AND successful pedigrees?

You know, part of me thinks we shouldn't be that excited. I mean, if I heard that the original King Crimson was getting back together record a sequel to Court of the Crimson King, I don't know that I'd expect the result to be good.

Not quite what you meant - But King Crimson already kind of did a sequel to that wonderful album. It's called In the Wake of Poseidon! :D (Seriously, it follows very similar patterns if you analyse it closely enough...) I take your point though...

Have to admire the way the original gang is being reunited though. Hopefully Fargo can gel them all together and forge a respectable new game steeped in the old school tradition. If it's successful and the fans love it, who knows where to from there?

Haha, I even have that album, but I did not realize it was a sequel. I was always more of a Pink Floyd fan.

Well I do agree but I would rather see the original guys working on it, at least they are familiar with what went into making the original game. I dont expect it to rival the first game but Brian has said Turn based isometric, so hopefully it will be decent.

I think it is great news. One thing the old guys will bring to the table is an old-school sensibility which will be key to making the project stand apart from modernized RPG paradigms. That is the point of the project in my opinion - to do something that harkens back to the gameplay of the old days - while hopefully updating the interface and visuals to modern standards. I'm sure they will enlist plenty of help for the modern aspects, but I think its great that the core original team will all be on hand to keep the old-school spirit in the game.

I was thinking along the same lines, killias. Just because someone was an original doesn't mean they're still good. In computer time, Wasteland was written centuries ago. Do any of the devs have recent AND successful pedigrees?

They don't make em like that anymore. Even if he's totally jaded and burned out he's still got more creative talent than a a whole conference room full of the folks who call themselves game designers, these days. I never played Tunnels & Trolls but I remember reading the rule book in a hobby shop when I was a teenager and thinking it had a lot of potential. And thinking it took a lot of balls for somebody to try to do a better version of D&D, in 1975. Who has balls that big in the game industry now? They all just want "the user should click a button and see cool shit happen" gameplay. Ask them, they'll tell you so.

Back
Top Bottom