BioWare - Latest Game: Command & Conquer Generals 2

can we combine the two threads? I'm getting confused as usual.

BeWare has done it again!

I begin to think that EA enjoys destroying RPG companies.

Whether or not they use the name or not isn't really the issue to me. I will still see Bioware and this group (formerly Victory Games) as separate.

What Bioware has done (with DA2 and may be doing with Mass Effect 3) is more of a concern to me. I was really hoping to see Van Caneghem working on some sort of (non-social) RPG though. Ironically I've been replaying World of Xeen lately and really miss the core M&M RPG gameplays.

If you think "nothing is happening to Bioware itself " … you haven't been following the last several years …

The Edmonton studio is still there - it's not like it's been shrunk, or closed or whatever - and whatever Bioware is doing now (yes even Dragon Age II wich as far as I'm concerned was still a pretty good if obviously rushed game) is pretty much consistent with the way the company has been evolving for the last decade, long before EA bought them out.

Hell you just need to look at at the good Doctors talking to see that they feel right at home within EA. :p

I'm not saying there hasn't been change in Bioware... but blaming it all on the big evil EA is silly and a lot of these changes were underway long before EA came into the picture. You know if EA hadn't bought Bioware, Dragon Age might not have ever been released at all because Bioware had been struggling for years to find a publisher, The Old Republic would likely have been cancelled considering how LucasArts washed their hands off the project, and we'd probably still be waiting for PC versions of Mass Effect 1&2 (which were originally not planned until after the trilogy had been completed). Hell if anything the company might have ended being bought my Microsoft and stuck to Xbox gaming only for all we know :p

Even with Origin and Westwood things were far from being as dire as people make it out to be. Origin released tons of quality games within EA for years before UO came out and created a mess in EA's policy and a long line of poor decisions. Westwood didn't have that good of a track record post EA, but they still released quality game and likewise, it's the whole online thing with Earth&Beyond that killed them. Of course EA have their share of blame in that... but not just them.

Just saying that things aren't as black&white as people make it out to me and just blaming it all on EA feels like an easy way of well... denying the fault the studios themselves might have had and the mistakes they might have made.

Now of course whoring out the Bioware name is a whole different thing altogether, and is just silly.

-Sergorn

It. Is. Not. Sports. It. Is. Not. Shooter. It. Must. Be. A. Role. Playing. Game. With. Statistics. Do. Not. The. Little. Tank. Things. Have. Statistics? Why. Yes. They. Do. So. We. Must. Group. It. With. The. Other. Role. Playing. Games. Yes. We. Must.

To be fair though, sports games have a lot more stats and numbers, than the latest Bioware dating sims.

@Segorn: Ssh, you're suggesting that the world is a complex place where there are no easy answers and that even seemingly obvious cause-and-effect chains are filled with nuance and uncertainty.

We prefer our knowledge in easy-to-digest soundbites that don't require thought. EA sux!

We prefer our knowledge in easy-to-digest soundbites that don't require thought. EA sux!

I love and endorse this quote it's been proven true way to many times.:lol: The reality is every business has problems. Whats good for them is not always good for us.

Last edited:

So now you accuse people here of being simpletons using the very tactic you denounce. Nice.

I don't like the outcome of what happened to pretty much every RPG developer I loved after they had gone through the EA machine. That isn't to say that I don't understand the nuances of the history - because chances are I have been gaming since before you were born and have lived the early history of gaming.

I also don't think EA sucks. I did like EA a lot more in its infancy (yes, I still remember you Seven Cities of Gold) compared to now, but there is a place for EA in gaming. I just wish they didn't bother with RPGs because while they may occassionaly be attracted to the big sales numbers of some RPGs, they really aren't the kind of company best suited for RPG development for a whole lot of reasons.

I live in Edmonton, and for years I worshipped Bioware. With that said, after DA2 came out, I was done with them. After this most recent announcement, I've all but forgotten them. The evil empire that is EA has infected and decimated yet another crpg company.

Buh bye now!

-Carn

...I still remember you Seven Cities of Gold)...

I think I'm finally done bashing BioWaste. They're truly a waste of my time now.

I just got a kick out of seeing someone mention The Seven Cities of Gold. I forgot all about that game. Surprising, since I played the living hell out of it. Nice one. :thumbsup:

Jon Van Caneghem and BioWare team up to make.. Command & Conquer? Really? I know that JVC has made some terrific strategy games, but still.. this union could've been so much more promising with a different franchise or genre.

Bioware making a non RPG game proves that they are evil and EA is the devil.

Bioware making a non RPG game proves that they are evil and EA is the devil.

Go away with your positive sarcasm. Its not even a Bioware game. Just the brand label slapped on.:p

I look forward to a future Bioware pure first person shooter game and finally dropping the rpg pretense. I would actually be interested to play this game.

Or how about a Bioware adventure game? That is another one I would be interested in. Not so much their rpgs anymore.

Considering how hey changed Dragon Age 1 into Dragon Age 2 and ME1 to ME 2, I'd rather expect an action-adventure from them intead of a "normal" adventure.

Wow! This is just about the worst whoring of a bought out brand name that I've ever heard. Well, except maybe for Atari....

Tells you something about the intelligence of gamers if they fall for this again...

Tells you something about the intelligence of gamers if they fall for this again…

QFT

If gamers simply stopped buy this crap bioware is force feeding us with while smiling like a used car salesman claiming it is the best CRPG ever then they would stop making such. Simple supply vs demand.

The day can not come soon enough when people stop buying a bioware game simply because it has the bioware label on it no matter the quality.

Good luck with that. We are few while EA/Bioware is catering to the masses.

As for me I haven't bought a C&C game since C&C 1. Speaking of that, all this talk of C&C made me finally install the win98 version of C&C (someone made it compatible). Happy to say that it works just fine with Windows7 64. It's been a very long time since I played this game, but it's still pretty fun and the videos bring back a ton of memories. One of the few games with FMV that were worth a damn.

This game is obviously not geared towards rpg players, so no biggie. Bioware has made other non rpg's in the past....as I read it, it is a totally new studio/team so it doesn't effect their other stuff.

Back
Top Bottom