ThinkProgress - Felicia Day Targeted in Hate Campaign

Yeah, it could definitely be argued this is "gaming news", but it isn't "game news", and it most definitely isn't RPG news. In any case, been reading this site since day one, and I NEVER thought I'd see the day when RPGWatch would link to a story on a nutjob leftist politics website like ThinkProgress. I'm amazed, frankly.

Would you be OK with them linking to nutjob right-wing politics websites like Fox "news"?

Regardless of one's personal political views, this is a pretty straightforward issue that any adult *should" be able to put aside their differences for. It doesn't matter where someone comes down on the various issues of "video game politics". No one should have to be subjected to threats of violence or having their personal information made public. If you don't agree with that basic concept, then keep in mind that no one is forcing you to visit this site.

Last edited:
Would you be OK with them linking to nutjob right-wing politics websites like Fox "news"?
I think linking to Fox News on RPGWatch would also amaze me. But Fox News is also a mainstream news website, it's not the right-wing equivalent of thinkprogress.com at all. The right-wing equivalent would be something like, linking to Rush Limbaugh's website.

If you are seriously equating Fox News to ThinkProgress.com, then you've already shown your bias and are simply trolling.

Yep, a quick scan of think progress website and the stories they run shows a clear left wing agenda. I am pretty far left wing myself, but I don't like politics in my rpg news site. Otherwise, its only fair to give equal time to a right wing perspective, and then a whole can of political worms opens up.

Yep, a quick scan of think progress webidte shows a clear left wing agenda.
It's a blog site belonging to a left-wing advocacy / lobbying organization (involved in US politics). So, yes. As I said, it's basically the equivalent of linking to Rush Limbaugh's website, or maybe the Family Research Council.

It is not a news site.

It's a blog site belonging to a left-wing advocacy / lobbying organization (involved in US politics). So, yes. As I said, it's basically the equivalent of linking to Rush Limbaugh's website, or maybe the Family Research Council.

It is not a news site.

I fully agree.

I NEVER thought I'd see the day when RPGWatch would link to a story on a nutjob leftist politics website like ThinkProgress.
I don't know much about the website, but surely it's the issue that's under discussion, not the source. I don't think challenging abusive threats of death and rape is "nutjob leftist politics," more just common civility really. I guess you could argue that RPGWatch isn't the place to have this discussion; however, its easy enough for people to skip this one thread.

It's certainly a huge misconception that "male gamers" are, generally, misogynists - as is the illusion that the industry is misogynist. It's a tiny subsection of both, combined with ignorance on "the other side" that contribute to this stupid point of view.

There are no more male misogynists than there are female misandrists. There's also a ton of ignorance on both sides, and a powerful emotional need to lash out when we feel misunderstood or overlooked.

Human beings are human beings, and the fact that some of them are gamers is incidental.

I've said this a million times before: There's a reason the gaming industry is male oriented and that reason has little or nothing to do with misogyny. That doesn't mean that's how it should be - or that it can't be changed.

It's just important for both men and women to appreciate what they're actually saying when they're using the word.

It would be much, much better to focus on how we can make the industry a more even place where both genders can contribute as they choose.

One step on the way is to forget this moronic illusion of misogyny - and stop making it a war of gender. It's destructive and since it's not truth, it won't help at all.

With all that said, though, there will always be racists, bigots and misogynist people. This is why a news piece like this is relevant and important. It's just sad that it's used to promote an idea of the general disposition of the average male gamer or industry member.

I hate having to spell misogyny so many times, by the way. It's a nightmare word :)

Yeah, it could definitely be argued this is "gaming news", but it isn't "game news", and it most definitely isn't RPG news. In any case, been reading this site since day one, and I NEVER thought I'd see the day when RPGWatch would link to a story on a nutjob leftist politics website like ThinkProgress. I'm amazed, frankly.
If Aubrielle isn't reined in I can guarantee you will see more of it. They clearly have an agenda of the "social justice" type they want to push.

If the evidence was flimsy before, what GamerGate brought to light surely provided enough evidence for that particular claim.
(And by the way, I happen to think Sarkeesian's video blogs are rather well researched and overall convincing, but hey, one can surely argue about that - civilly)

The presented "evidence" for the apparent collusion of (female, of course female) developers with journalists (paide by sex, of course, of course) however was and is flimsy as hell. There are certainly real problems - but #gamersgate in particular has never targeted those.

The whole "it's really about Ethics in Game Journalism" stick is laughable and flimsy retrofitting, if you just bother to look into it a little bit.

Really sad how many people actually identify with the crap movement.

I'll just agree with this and say no more.

I hate having to spell misogyny so many times, by the way. It's a nightmare word :)

I agree. I think I would misspell it by default. We should refer to it as the "M" worcl. or MG. Or something like that.

In general - I don't know if this is typical for our context, it seems to me that often attacks like these on women add more outright sexual elements, like negative comments on their looks and explicite wishing someone would rape them.

pibbur who thinks this is important news from the gaming society, definitely belonging here. And who avoided writing the M word.

If Aubrielle isn't reined in I can guarantee you will see more of it. They clearly have an agenda of the "social justice" type they want to push.

I think Aubrielle's posts in general are very well written and well founded. No reason at all to rein her in. She's a very welcome addition to posters here.

pibbur who won't rein in any other of the watch-staff either.

I agree. I think I would misspell it by default. We should refer to it as the "M" worcl. or MG. Or something like that.

In general - I don't know if this is typical for our context, it seems to me that often attacks like these on women add more outright sexual elements, like negative comments on their looks and explicite wishing someone would rape them.

pibbur who thinks this is important news from the gaming society, definitely belonging here. And who avoided writing the M word.

It's how the weak and hateful lash out. It has to do with powerful emotions being bottled up without an outlet.

It's no different from racism or any kind of destructively ignorant escape from personal responsibility and desire to place blame for how the world has let you down.

The Watch doesn't rein in without good cause. You'd have to visit inferior sites for that.

I wish in my country the biggest problem was women in gaming being harassed.

I look upon problems people in USA have as funny curiosities. If only they spend so much time and energy trying to solve world problems, half the world would be better by now.

Or maybe this is the new online generation doing their little internet wars. My country is not much better, few years ago there was a big facebook movement among younger population to protest vs our corrupt government, but once the call to Real life protests came (peaceful ones), only 10% of people showed up.

Better that both sides spend their time physically helping those in need if they have extra time to waste on the web.

The Watch doesn't rein in without good cause. You'd have to visit inferior sites for that.
I really doubt the rest of the staff want this to become a political site. They've been leery of posting anything remotely related to gamergate before.

Spending time on one problem doesn't preclude paying attention to other problems. Besides, harassment of women is part of a huge global issue regarding the rights of women.

pibbur

I wish in my country the biggest problem was women in gaming being harassed.

I look upon problems people in USA have as funny curiosities. If only they spend so much time and energy trying to solve world problems, half the world would be better by now.

Or maybe this is the new online generation doing their little internet wars. My country is not much better, few years ago there was a big facebook movement among younger population to protest vs our corrupt government, but once the call to Real life protests came (peaceful ones), only 10% of people showed up.

Better that both sides spend their time physically helping those in need if they have extra time to waste on the web.

You're certainly making a big contribution just by making that statement, aren't you.

Education and knowledge is pretty important if you're going to act in a way that will actually improve the world around you.

That's why talking about things first can be relevant and important. It can even be necessary to get people to act in the first place, so they know why they're doing it.

Back
Top Bottom