Mass Effect - Interview @ RPG Codex

"Available" in this case meaning "not giving you money".

You're nuts if you think Codex gets money from any of the big developers. And Bioware actually has Dragon Age going for it, which the Codex is sort of kinda of looking forward to (barring more revelations). I actually remember reading some preview which claimed Dragon Age would use a "modified" version of the Mass Effect dialogue system. Dave Gaider posted in the forums and refuted that, but can you see now why some Codexers are keeping in eye on Mass Effect?

Generally, to me ME is the big seller that hopefully will help to pay for the
development of more traditional RPGs like Dragon Age.

I certainly understand why the Codex are worried about the dialoque system in
ME (as it, taken at face value, looks equal to the dialoque wheel used in Oblivion).

I think it was either David Gaider (or Patrick from Bioware) that answered me, when I asked him if, in ME, you couldn't ask some questions if you hadn't go
points enough on Intelligence or Wisdom or Speechcraft or abilities similar to these.
And from what I seem to recall, the answer was an 'astounding yes.' This means, that you won't be able to get all information if you don't have high INT or WIS
(or whatever is equivalent to these in ME).

I also feel compelled to say that just because something looks equal or similar doesn't mean that it (necessarily) works the same way in other games.
In Oblivion, there is sort of a mine-game, you need to play. In ME, it seems,
at least to me, that you will get to choose what you're going to say from a list of about 4-8 or even more options.

The only difference between this dialoque system and the written skill tree dialoque is that you use the headline of what you're going to say, and then
the game's character(s) acts your preferred choice out before your very eyes.

I sincerely hope that this will do away with the D&D dialoque system where you just had three basic options, 1)good, 2) bad and 3) evil. I hope that ME's dialoque system will provide gamers access to more complex choices than just the options, used in D&D.

I also think that the whole uproar boils down to the fact that we only have seen the 'gung ho' commander Shephard in action in the gameplay vids. This appeals to
a certain type of gamer; the kind of kids, i.e. young boys from 16-20, that I teach.

Well, I thought it was immediately obvious that the interview was a fake. While I have no problem with humorous fake interviews, I do see that VD is treading a very thin line by doing so without making it clear that it's not a genuine interview!! Bit like the old, famous, War of the Worlds radio play!! I hope Bioware sees it as just a bit of fun (and free publicity), but I don't think I would ever take the risk with a company that has the potential to create top quality games for a long time.

Generally, to me ME is the big seller that hopefully will help to pay for the
development of more traditional RPGs like Dragon Age.

The better they sold ME the less they will care about different games (I mean game play wise).

I also feel compelled to say that just because something looks equal or similar doesn't mean that it (necessarily) works the same way in other games.
In Oblivion, there is sort of a mine-game, you need to play. In ME, it seems,
at least to me, that you will get to choose what you're going to say from a list of about 4-8 or even more options.

From what we had seen there will be about 3 options usually one of them to end conversation. I don't have impression that it will be mini game like Oblivion and I never heard that.

The only difference between this dialoque system and the written skill tree dialoque is that you use the headline of what you're going to say, and then
the game's character(s) acts your preferred choice out before your very eyes.

I want to know what my character is going to say/do when I choose option.

I sincerely hope that this will do away with the D&D dialoque system where you just had three basic options, 1)good, 2) bad and 3) evil. I hope that ME's dialoque system will provide gamers access to more complex choices than just the options, used in D&D.

Haw does it allow more complex choices then traditional dialog tree? Even in theory I don't see it.

I also think that the whole uproar boils down to the fact that we only have seen the 'gung ho' commander Shephard in action in the gameplay vids. This appeals to
a certain type of gamer; the kind of kids, i.e. young boys from 16-20, that I teach.

Actually there was some footage whit dialogs, looked shallow.

i actually go out of my way to try out (and often enjoy) games that RPG Codex doesn't like. simply because i would hate to think that my opinions align with people who have so much time and energy to spend on not liking a bunch of computer games (of all things!).

I like to think of the codex crew as being like those kids in high school who hanged out in the library and played role-playing games(not cRPGs) and talked in high pitched over dramatised voices in order to attract attention to themselves meanwhile my friends and I would hang out at one of the benches outside and trade pirated c64 floppies like Ultima 5.

Best just to ignore them and get on with the real business - playing games.

aries100 or anyone out of courisity what's the problem with good, neutral and evil choices?
Iirc it's been awhile didn't PT do this and with higher Int and Wis you were able to gleem addtional info or options, like if someone was lying?

"i actually go out of my way to try out (and often enjoy) games that RPG Codex doesn't like. simply because i would hate to think that my opinions align with people who have so much time and energy to spend on not liking a bunch of computer games (of all things!)."

Yes seeking out games that the codex objects purely to spite them is a MUCH more intelligent use of time and effort

There is nothing wrong with the good, bad or neutral of the D&D games. However, in the PnP D&D games, the DM can throw in a little more depth and some harder choices which kind of greys thie choices more out. It is not so blatantly obvious (imo) what is the good, the bad, and the neutral responsein PnP games as it seems to be in Crpgs. (At least not in in the crpgs games I've played).

In the long run, at least to me, this is getting a little tiresome. I know, just from looking at the start in the sentence I'm choosing what will be the evil, good or neutral response. Lately, I'll just pick the option I want, and then scroll or click my way through the text. Maybe this is a function of the journal, since everything of value that I need to know is getting stored in my journal.

There seems to be no real consequence for me or my party if I choose the evil response over the good response. The game just seems to progress either way.
I hear they have changed this in NWN2, but I'm not that into NWN2, so I haven't yet experienced this.

And, yes, Planescape:Torment, did this stuff, afaik, if you had a hig INT or WIS, which meant that you would gain insigt as to whether people were lying to you
or not. Some conversation lines were also closed, if you didn't a high enough
INT or WIS.

However, as I see it, this has nothing do with choosing neutral, good or bad responses, but has everything to do with gaining a consequence for putting
ability points into WIS or INT, which means that what you choose to has an
actual bearing on how the game unfolds or plays out during the game.

Iirc, if you choose the evil response in say BG1, you don't get a different ending than if you choose the good response. The same goes for IWD 1+IWD2 +
KOTOR1 (I think) + NWN1. As I said above, no real consequence, there seems to be...

I like to think of the codex crew as being like those kids in high school who hanged out in the library and played role-playing games(not cRPGs) and talked in high pitched over dramatised voices in order to attract attention to themselves meanwhile my friends and I would hang out at one of the benches outside and trade pirated c64 floppies like Ultima 5.

Unfortunately, what you like to imagine of us has no bearing on who we really are.

Best just to ignore them and get on with the real business - playing games.

Playing games, and not talking about us in a message board. No sir.

Unfortunately, what you like to imagine of us has no bearing on who we really are.

Unfortunately, I wasn't talking to you :lol: I guess I was right about the attention-seeking bit.

I thought the "interview" was fantastic. I'm mostly a lurker at the codex but I don't mind jumping in and acting silly on occasion. I love Oblivion and the codex despises it, but I enjoy bashing Pete Hines and Todd Howard every chance I get and the codex is the perfect place for that. To me, the codex is just a great place to vent. It's chock full of long-time crpgers who have seen everything under the sun and so the old codger aspect is alive and well over there. Irreverence is worshipped at the codex :D

aries100
"In the long run, at least to me, this is getting a little tiresome."
Ok thats clear.
For me if there are going to be choices I want them clear, as nothing irritates me more than to be RPing an pick what seems to be a good or neutral response and getting hit with an Evil alinment hit I hate being tricked or mislead, since I was the one intending to speak a line as good or snarky but not in an Evil way sucks to me, though others may feel differently.

"this has nothing do with choosing neutral, good or bad responses,"
Your right of course but I really meant it as a way to provide addtional flexablity in dialogues which seems a possible solution to both problems, having something defined but also addtional options for those looking for more risky/diverse choices, was just a thought. :)

"Iirc, if you choose the evil response in say BG1"
Heh, it's been so long for me I barley even remember the fight but I think your right, basicly you are forced to kill him or defend yourself how ever it's presented, iirc.
Now KotOR did have a differnt evil ending iirc but I never played it.

crpgnut
"a great place to vent."
Venting is good, ummm pizza! :)

Unfortunately, I wasn't talking to you :lol: I guess I was right about the attention-seeking bit.

Not me specifically but you were talking - or rather generalizing - about the Codex. Being part of the staff does have its perks, one of them being that talking about the site is talking about me since I'm affiliated with it and in a way represent it.

While we enjoy some 'friendly' (????) rivalry with the Codex, and while they used to 'insult' the Dot repeatedly, as this is a new site, could I suggest we avoid bashing each other; it's counter-productive!! We both take very different appraoches to game coverage etc, which is a GOOD thing. While I don't particularly care for their approach, they have a right to express it. Sometimes, I even agree with their PoV!! :)

ahh, another "mini-flame war" with another more acerbic group of fellow CRPG players in as many days.

I must contend many of your responses have been well thought out here, and much more than what I've typically read on your own news comments when I used to read there every once in a great while.

I had thought the interview was legit when I first read it. Shows how smart I am. The Bio devs occasionally post on the Codex and they have done one or two interviews so it wasn't out of the realm of possibility to me. The only that left me scratching my head was why it didn't get silly between the two parties with the party of the first knowing they were the Codex and the party of the second part knowing they were talking to someone from the Codex. I was expecting some witty retorts and not the typical fluff you see given to to the more mainstream sites which this interview looked like (see my comments on the IGN "interview" and the upcoming Oblivion expansion).

So it was a farce. It somewhat makes sense now. Can someone like Dhruin or Corwin edit the newpost here to indicate that? Gullible people like myself need help in that regard.

I wonder how long this "interview" will be sited as legit information for what ME will have or Bio promised.

(a good follow up fake newsbit could be the announcement that ME is being ported over the PC and will include 2 new areas rejected by MS so that XBox fans can get a new experience on the game and a preview of features that will be used in the Upcoming (2012) Dragon Age. Also included more options to make it not suck like it does on XBox but suck on a PC because its still a Console game. - man, I should join Codex just to throw in my own cynicism once in awhile).

Body bags, lots of body bags...

:D

Anyways, I find the entire parody review to be extremely humorous with the added benefit of having tweaked one of our more special forumites... :D

Oblivion: You forgot about teh ahwesum shibbering aisles expanshun, more auto-levelled blandness to be had for all... and the eventual arrival of the PS3 kiddies to the ESF, which should also provide months of entertainment value.

Dragon Age: While, I've never been particularly impressed by Bioware as an RPG maker, I do have hopes for Dragon Age, and if nothing else they do support their games very well...

Nice to see that VD has made so much progress on his vaporware game that he has time to spend making an ass of himself again.

Back
Top Bottom