Top 10 CRPGs of all time

Imho worst case scenario in this is MMX and Spiderweb games. Why? Because when a character dies/gets unconcious he doesn't get XP. Effectively your party loses XP. But this isn't communicated to the player. At some point you just realize "darn…I guess I need to start over". Once I knew that, well…I just loaded every time when a character missed out XP.

Not everyone suffers from OCD. ;)

I like the risk of dying, because it makes me invest more - if the game is otherwise entertaining and rewarding.

Sure, I'll reload if I make some stupid mistakes - but I wouldn't reload if the fight is going reasonably according to plan. I can deal with some of my dudes getting killed and I can accept the penalty, and I'd rather do that than constantly replay stuff.

But that's me :)

As for MMX, I found it to be a decent game - but ultimately too combat heavy and without enough interesting story/exploration. Sure, the occasional chest is nice - and I especially liked the little puzzles, but it just wasn't enough to keep me going.

Torment was my favorite RPG of ALL TIME! I'm kind bummed at the fact that the "spiritual successor" is turn based instead of real time with pausing.

I am quite happy about that actually.
Though this is probably the one game, where I would have been ok with a real-time combat as the combat wasn't a big element in the first game.

I guess I don't check the forums enough. Here are mine:

1.Knights of the Old Republic- The last Bioware game I really liked. I've played through it three times and think they did a great job of capturing the Star Wars feeling. Probably doesn't hurt that I've been a huge Star Wars fan since I saw the first film when I was 6.

2. Baldur's Gate 2- While I like the story in some games better, I think Baldur's Gate 2 had the best balance of Story-Quests-Combat-Exploration that I've seen in a game.

3. Wizardry 8. The last "AAA" party based first person game with a cool story, and lots of cool ideas. I love the combat too, except that it is sooo sloooow.

4. Planescape Torment- Still one of my favourite CRPG stories. The rest of the gameplay is just ok.

5. Might and Magic VII- Another great classic CRPG.I love party based games and this is another great one.

6. Vampire:Bloodlines (patched)- I've played this through 3 times already and it has some of the best characters ever.

7. Knights of the Old Republic 2. Yes its great, but I find you can really appreciate it best after multiple playthroughs. With more polish I'd have rated it higher.

8. Might and Magic X. I loved the game despite its faults. Definately the most fun I've had in a long time.

9. The Elder Scrolls : Skyrim- I actually really like all the Elder Scrolls games, and find that no game does exploration better. I do like the RPG system in Morrowind better, but find all the other advancements make this one better.

10. Fallout 2 (patched) - It probably helps that I played this game first when it was patched and before I played Fallout 1. The story I find much more memorable than Fallout 1. I'll never forget the Enclave President, for example.

Since KotOR1 is your #1 favourite game, I want to ask, do you think you need to be Star Wars fan to enjoy KotOR? I'm really struggling with it, just not fun for me at all. No, I've never watched one Star Wars movie in my lifetime, I'm pretty ignorant about the whole Star Wars thing.

You are not the only one. Played 4 hours before I stopped. Just completely hated the combat. Though I guess that was not the issue you had. ^^

Since KotOR1 is your #1 favourite game, I want to ask, do you think you need to be Star Wars fan to enjoy KotOR? I'm really struggling with it, just not fun for me at all. No, I've never watched one Star Wars movie in my lifetime, I'm pretty ignorant about the whole Star Wars thing.

I've been a Star Wars fan nearly my entire life, and I found KotOR to be merely average. I've never understood why some people rate it so highly.

KotOR is one of my favourite RPGs but I do think that the Star Wars setting has contributed a lot to my enjoyment. (I admit having somewhat of a lightsaber fetish :)). So if Star Wars is not your thing, I can perfectly imagine that you will not experience the same joy as may of us did.

Why not correct that obvious mistake and watch star wars? :)

The quality of prequels (ep I-III) is under constant debate among sw fandom (personally I can't get enough sw, but even I have to admit that TPH is quite awfull as a film, ep 2 and 3 are a lot better though), but orginal trilogy films (ep IV-VII) are as a whole great films which anyone should watch!

And to answer your question about kotor 1. I find it quite difficult to imagine how one could enjoy a star wars story if one has no previous knowledge about star wars.

Simple. I didn't know a thing about D&D universe and I still enjoyed games like BG, IWD and NWN, so why not have a go at KotOR?

Why don't I watch the movie? Gee, I don't know. I didn't like what I saw so far about SW universe in KotOR and people around me aren't exactly SW fans. I'm not going to watch a movie I may or may not enjoy by myself. I'm sorry, but the whole Jedi thing doesn't really appeal to me and also lightsaber makes me laugh (glow stick...). Then again, I liked Harry Potter and they duel with wooden sticks....

I'm thinking of having a go at KotOR2 instead and see if I like that one better since I really liked some dialogues (watched few youtube vids).

Well, at least I'm glad I'm not the only one finding KotOR1 boring. I will try to make a bit more progress with KotOR1 though. I'm currently at Tantooine, the first planet I've landed ever since leaving Dantooine.

I also found KotoR 1 to be a bit of a borefest aswell.

People keep talking about lightsabres, but I never had one after what seemed like an eternity of playing (I quit around the point where you have to fight/sneak past a Bantha). I was just running around lots of bland corridors shooting things with child-like ease and pretty much all the conversations and plot made no sense to me.

And that card game is pure luck, right... I mean there was no way to actually be 'skillfull' at it... right...?

I too felt the same way about KOTOR. I played it when it first came out and everybody was apparently enthusiastic about the game play. But some where around hour 10 or so, many people started saying they weren't having any fun and it was almost like someone announced the emperor had no clothes. I have heard that KOTOR 2 is better, but GOG would have to offer it on an insomnia sale before I took the bait.

Simple. I didn't know a thing about D&D universe and I still enjoyed games like BG, IWD and NWN, so why not have a go at KotOR?

Why don't I watch the movie? Gee, I don't know. I didn't like what I saw so far about SW universe in KotOR and people around me aren't exactly SW fans. I'm not going to watch a movie I may or may not enjoy by myself. I'm sorry, but the whole Jedi thing doesn't really appeal to me and also lightsaber makes me laugh (glow stick…). Then again, I liked Harry Potter and they duel with wooden sticks….

I'm thinking of having a go at KotOR2 instead and see if I like that one better since I really liked some dialogues (watched few youtube vids).

Well, at least I'm glad I'm not the only one finding KotOR1 boring. I will try to make a bit more progress with KotOR1 though. I'm currently at Tantooine, the first planet I've landed ever since leaving Dantooine.

I'd say being a fan of Star Wars is pretty much mandatory when it comes to KotOR. The Star Wars setting is very unique, unlike the Fearun part of Forgotten Realms (BG2 etc) which is rather generic fantasy. Basically, if you're not already a big fan of the Jedi, skip KotOR and head straight for Mass Effect.

1. Skyrim - Vanilla
2. Skyrim - FCOM
3. Skyrim - Vilja
4. Skyrim - Hoth and Inigo
5. Skyrim - w/all DLC

:D :D :D

Imho worst case scenario in this is MMX and Spiderweb games. Why? Because when a character dies/gets unconcious he doesn't get XP. Effectively your party loses XP. But this isn't communicated to the player.

Actually, this isn't the case in Might and Magic Legacy. This knowledge IS communicated to the player. I just started playing last weekend and noticed it after the boss fight in the Lighthouse that only the characters who are conscious were the ones who gained experience. You just have to look at the graph and + symbol with the experience given to observe this.
Oh, and I didn't reload either. :)

Well, yes. It is shown, but it's not shown "in your face" ^^
I mean you won't realize it until when you actually see that the XP of different characters is extremely different.

Of course there is hardly any other way in this game to do it. It's not like you get a summary screen after each fight about what happened and who gets XP.

Still, imho such a mechanic is a unnecessary pain in the ass for players like me.
The Question is: What does it add to the game? Imho the answer is: nothing.
Ok, it might stress that no character should die. But the xp loss when being stunned is completely pointless.

And no, I don't think it's more realistic either. ^^
If you are awake 99% of the fight and then you have two enemies, the one beats you unconcious and the other one dies out of reflective damage, it doesn't make any sense that you don't get xp for it.

Last edited:

I don't know. I am, so I can't say for sure. I know though that there are people who love KOTOR like me, and people who hate it. I played it when it came out, and I've got to say Bioware has reused a lot of elements in KOTOR in Jade Empire, Dragon Age, and Mass Effect. So if you played those games first, you might not find those elements as fresh as I did at the time. For me Dragon Age and Mass Effect have elements which I find stale storywise, because they were very similar to things done in KOTOR.

Back
Top Bottom