Dungeons - Impressions @ RPS

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Alec Meer has penned some impressions of Dungeons at Rock, Paper, Shotgun. Although he notes some negatives, he seems impressed the game is more than a Dungeon Keeper clone:
So I guess I’ve written that this is a Dungeon Keeper clone in a whole bunch of places over the last few months.
Whoops.

Quite clearly, Dungeons is so heavily inspired by my beloved monster management sim as to essentially be wearing an “I Heart DK” cap and matching t-shirt at all times, but instead of slavishly recreating it what it’s done is take the concept and apply whole new mechanics to it. That, in itself, is remarkable. Why don’t more game tributes/remakes/sequels do that? All the fan lure, less of the cynicism, more self-pride in the act of creation. Dungeons does this while still remaining a Dungeon Keeper game – as opposed to (oh dear) XCOM reducing concepts to abstracts and thus pissing off a whole mess of people, regardless of how good it might turn out to be. Dungeons is still building and strategy in a beast-filled fantasy underworld, but it’s the other side of the mirror.
More information.

Sim Dungeon meets Tower Defense - sounds good to me.
As much as I like the DK formula, I'm glad that this game is taking a different route. Only a few more days!

Back
Top Bottom