Titan Quest

Relayer

Keeper of the Watch
Was this any good? I got it for $3.99 at Impulse - was never really interested in "Diablo clones" but for $4, could not pass it up.

I do remember enjoying Diablo at the time and mind-numbing, combat-tastic dungeon crawling is always fun to do once in a while (like watching a "B" movie).

I haven't played it.
The general opinion is that Titan Quest is either the best or second best Diablo Clone out there.

Magerette is the TQ guru here--she'll be able to give you any details you might want. As Gorath said, it was reportedly one of the best Diablo clones going.

If you have even a slight taste for the hacknslash genre, you should get your $4 worth out of the game. :)

It's a well-done clickfest with a great skills system, and the usual mind-numbing combat grind is a bit enlivened by being set in the ancient world of Greece, Eqypt and China. I highly recommend picking up the expansion, Immortal Throne, when you can as it adds a lot to the game.

It's a loss to the industry, imo, that Iron Lore studios bought the farm and there will probably never be a TQ II.

If you have even a slight taste for the hacknslash genre, you should get your $4 worth out of the game. :)

It's a well-done clickfest with a great skills system, and the usual mind-numbing combat grind is a bit enlivened by being set in the ancient world of Greece, Eqypt and China. I highly recommend picking up the expansion, Immortal Throne, when you can as it adds a lot to the game.

It's a loss to the industry, imo, that Iron Lore studios bought the farm and there will probably never be a TQ II.

Yeah, figured for $4 it couldn't hurt :) (wish I'd paid $4 for Fallout 3!).
The Setting is what intrigues me, will look into the expansion pack, thanks.

Unless THQ still owns the IP, there very well could be another TQ - some of the Iron Lore staff are back as Crate Entertainment.

And working on a new game supposedly. From their site: "We are also developing intellectual property that we have acquired from Iron Lore Entertainment. We look forward to revealing more in the coming months"

Unless THQ still owns the IP, there very well could be another TQ - some of the Iron Lore staff are back as Crate Entertainment.

And working on a new game supposedly. From their site: "We are also developing intellectual property that we have acquired from Iron Lore Entertainment. We look forward to revealing more in the coming months"
Found this at gamebanshee:
The Journal of New England Technology brings word that former Iron Lore lead designer Arthur Bruno and art director Eric Campanella have formed a new studio called Crate Entertainment. Not only that, but they've also acquired the rights to two of Iron Lore's previously unannounced projects, including an Xbox 360 action RPG entitled Black Legion.

Not sure about now but I think THQ did have the rights at one time. Good news that there's hope for the Iron Lore guys--doesn't appear former CEO Brian Sullivan(Age of Empires) is involved, but here's hoping they are successful.

Hope you enjoy the game--I lost months of my life to it and probably will again someday. Gamebanshee has a good info section, and this is a good forum. :)

It's really just another Diablo clone. I just don't see why so many people like the sub-genre. I played Diablo 1 and liked it, because it was almost a new concept (or approach to the concept), but then I tried many clones of it (including Diablo 2) and couldn't last more than 2 hours in any of them. It's always the same thing. Click to move, see enemy, click on enemy (multiple clicks or just hold), see colors of items dropped, get excited if it's purple, repeat.
At $4 I might get it... nah, not even free, I just don't like the whole concept.

Absolutely one of the best action-RPG's. But that is exactly what it is, nothing more.

At $4 I might get it... nah, not even free, I just don't like the whole concept.

I'm not really too keen on the concept (last of its type I played WAS Diablo...maybe IWD but I would say that's a similar concept on another level) but I take it for what it is, just some quick, easy, mindless fun. Nothing that taxes the brain. :)

Started playing last night. The graphics are really impressive, that's for sure and the game has polish. NWN 2 would have been so much better on this engine. The skill system looks very interesting too.

Mike did a great review of TQ plus Immortal Throne for the Watch back in the day.

A lot of people seem to have a problem with arpgs. No biggie. If you can handle the basics of hack n slash and enjoy stat crunching and developing a character build, you should enjoy TQ. There is a huge grind factor, but I actually find that sort of emphasis on ultra-combat relaxing rather than boring. (Yes, I'm a strange type;) )Compared to tactical strat combat, it's nothing, just a bit repetitive. You aren't playing it for the grind but for what the grind yields in terms of loot and experience, and in TQ that's been executed exceptionally well. It excels in the good parts of action rpgs, plus it has lots of polish and learned well from its predecessors just which boxes to check off to keep you playing on into the night. On every level, it's a 4 or 5 star game, and unless you just hate that style of combat to the point where its mere existence is a turn-off, there's a lot here to appreciate.

Some people here who normally don't play these types of games even enjoyed it, but to each his own. :)

You might want to head over to titanquest.net to pick up the fanpatch as well, it fixes a number of issues that Iron Lore couldn't exactly get around to, thought I'm unsure as to whether there's a patch for the standard game without IT. In any case, the community over there is still pretty active, so if you have any questions about your build or anything else you're sure to find someone who can help you out.

I didn't find it particularly good, even though I liked games like Diablo and Sacred, but at that price it wouldn't hurt to to try it out. :)

Jeez ... forgot that review ... ah, 2007, something about reviewing over 200 games that year ... glad I'm not doing that anymore ...

Update: Not sure if I'm enjoying the game. It's repetetive, too easy, there is way too much loot dropping and it's repetetive. And too easy. I've only died once so far.

I love the graphics and Ancient Greece/Mythology theme for sure but with the game being so easy and the combat being relatively slow paced, it nearly puts me to sleep. Really, there is no strategy involved at ALL.

Here's the thing though: I'm addicted to levelling and boosting my Storm & Defense lines! I keep playing just for the payoff of levelling. Not even for getting better loot since I have no trouble with enemies (bosses are just a nuisance so far).

So it's a very mild enjoyment I'm deriving from the game thus far. It's definitely not a bad game, it does what it does well. I just think it could have done it better with:

- A much faster pace
- Tougher creatures
- Use of enviornment (climbing trees as a ranger? setting bushes/tents on fire? moving objects to create obstacles?

Currently level 10. We'll see if I make it further.

First time through is almost a tutorial--best loot and tougher fights are on the next two difficulties. There are a few frustratingly hard boss battles on normal, but other than that, it's a walk in the park. You're very right in picking out the best of the game--the character builds and skill systems. That's really where the only complexity lies. Still, I too got to the point where killing one more satyr was almost beyond me. :)

The difficulty ramps up significantly in Act 4 (Immortal Throne). Fast moving evasive archers, groups of area effect mages using magic you don't resist, armored foes who shield bash and stun you... while strategy still doesn't factor in so much, the overall difficulty is certainly higher. With my Defense/Storm character I had to rely on a certain spell (Squall I think) to disable the ranged attackers or become an arrow riddled corpse.

Later difficulties also add in new bosses not available in Normal, like the Hydra and a large Automatoi boss. If you're really looking for more of a challenge, there are difficulty mods out there that multiply the number of foes you face at once, and I think there's one that buffs up their resists and HP. You could always try the Lilith TC, I hear it's punishingly hard ;)

Ah damn Titan Quest. Just spent around 30 hours this weekend playing and probably gained weight. Its like crack and far better than Sacred IMO. I like my dead stuff to say dead, which is why I hate Sacred.

Anyway... The only thing I can't stand is the respawn if you quit. If you play 90% to the next teleporter but fail to make it, you have to slog through the whole sequence again next time you play. In that sense, I like Dungeon Siege better!

Anyway, TQ is nicely done and I love the animations. Slick game.

It's my favorite hack & slasher, been playing it for a long time plus a little longer than that. The genre is not for everyone, just like strategy games could never get even a little slice of my attention since the original Red Alert.

Anyone complaining it's too easy, just grind on until you get to the underworld, Hades. The demise of nearly all my toons.

Regarding monsters respawning, that is one of the points of the game - to farm for better gear. Can't do that if mobs stay dead, but i do know the frustration of spilling the same blood all over again only because of forgetting to activate a respawn fountain or a teleporter.

Back
Top Bottom