Dungeons & Dragons - 5th Edition Starter Review

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
While I usually skip tabletop games in general I thought the following might be of interest for a few readers. It seems RPGamer has a review of the new 5th Edition.
Like any WOTC product in the past ten years this one is lovely to look at with good art pieces, good layout, and rigid organization, this product also takes the time to break down and explain how information in adventures is organized.

As a teaser for 5th Edition, this piqued my interest far better than a year of beta notes and blog posts did, but it needs a touch more to serve as an introduction to D&D for complete neophytes. More physical items, like an incomplete map of the region, handouts, or rules cheat sheets might have done more to engage players and new game masters might have benefited from a dozen more pages on how to run and play the game. There must be better way to introduce people to D&D, but this box is serviceable with an experienced player to guide new gamers.
More information.

I still only play AD&D. If Gary Gygax was not part of the rules making process it is not Dungeons and Dragons. Will play any rule set on the computer and like some of the 3.5 rules and Pathfinder versions.

But if I am getting together with my buddies then it is old school all the way. Playing tonight actually with my 14th lvl paladin and 15th lvl cleric. The demon hordes of Orcus don't stand a chance :).

Was it on accident that the given score is 3.5? ;)

It's important to note that this is a review of the D&D Starter Set (i.e. just enough of the ruleset and monsters to run a starter adventure, plus some dice :) ). Not a review of the 5th edition itself as it hasn't been released yet.

It's important to note that this is a review of the D&D Starter Set (i.e. just enough of the ruleset and monsters to run a starter adventure, plus some dice :) ). Not a review of the 5th edition itself as it hasn't been released yet.
Thanks for the correction I'll update the title.:thumbsup:

The good news is table-top gamers might enjoy the new edition. I remember the last version upset many purists due to being gamified, or to put it simply made for MMO's.

It seems fairly silly to give a starter product with pre-generated characters 2/5 in character generation. Of course it doesn't have any, it's meant to be an introduction and full rules are going to be released next month.

Thanks for the correction I'll update the title.:thumbsup:

The good news is table-top gamers might enjoy the new edition. I remember the last version upset many purists due to being gamified, or to put it simply made for MMO's.
I remember throwing up in my mind while reading the 4th ed. player's handbook… twice. Felt to me like they turned the game into World of Warcraft offline. I'm not interested in playing tabletop RPGs anymore (nobody around me that I would like to play with, and tried online groups once and didn't like the experience), but I'm always curious.

It seems fairly silly to give a starter product with pre-generated characters 2/5 in character generation. Of course it doesn't have any, it's meant to be an introduction and full rules are going to be released next month.
It has the 5 pregenerated characters but you can see the PDF of the rules to create characters in the WotC site (from a very limited list of classes, basically the standard 4). Quill18 posted a video of character generation that can give you an idea of how it goes this time around…

This is the unboxing of the starter set…

He also has a recorded live playthrough of the starter adventure here …

Last edited:
I got the starter set last week, seems pretty good. I'm going to run the adventure (or some of it at least) for some friends at Ropecon this weekend.

I've been mainly playing Pathfinder for the last few years.

Back
Top Bottom