What MMORPG should I play?

D

Deleted User

Okay, since there are approximately 823 billion MMORPGs on the market, I'm having trouble deciding which one I should try first.

I want a game that is heavy on the RPG part. Interesting quests, interesting storylines, lots of character customization, the nerdier the better. Lots of cool loot that is varied and does different things. Preferably good graphics, and preferably not grind heavy, but something that feels close to a single-player, deep RPG but offers the ability to group up to take on tougher tasks would be perfect. Oh, and exploration is definitely needed. I'd love a game where you could get lost exploring (preferably open-world), you can find a hidden cave, or some out of the way nook to dive into and find tough enemies with great treasure abound. A world full of magical adventure would be great (lol). Sword and sorcery, medieval feel would be preferred.

Does this game exist? lol. I'm not quite sure it does.

But anyway, the few games I have considered are Guild Wars 2 (but I'm a little weary of paying $60 for the game if I'm not going to like it), Dungeons and Dragons: Online, The Perfect World, Neverwinter (looks cool but I'm not sure when it's coming out), Elder Scrolls Online (which I will definitely play but it's obviously not out yet), and that's about it. Any thoughts on these games + recommendations of other games that I might like are welcome. Thanks!!

Last edited:
I am not much into MMOs but I would recommend Path of Exile.One of the best skill trees I seen in any RPG and with it complex char development.It's free(micro-transactions are only cosmetic), it's good both solo or in group(personally I prefer groups of 3-4 non-random people),good graphic.If you are looking for heir to Diablo 2 this is place to look for.

If you ever want to go PvP I can recommend League of legends(also free with only cosmetic micro-transactions).From gameplay standpoint game very good,community not so much.

Oh yeah, forgot to add Path of Exile to the MMOs I was considering. Looks pretty cool and I'm definitely into the Diablo-style gameplay and vibe.

Not crazy about PvP really, but I am interested in the WvW type gameplay in Elder Scrolls Online and possibly Guild Wars 2. But I think I'm more interested in PvE.

If you would like to try DDO, we've got an RPGWatch guild on the Khyber server. Let us know your toon(s)' name and someone will get a guid invite headed your way. Even if you don't run with any of us, you'll find the guild ship buffs and "Take what you can use" guild chest to be very helpful. Of course, we would be more than happy to run with you if you wanted to. Check out the Team Corwin thread in Off-topic for day-to-day details or the DDO sticky thread here in MMO for toon rosters from each of us in the guild. If you're interested in free-to-play, I think Sherwin has made it all the way to epic levels without spending any money--he will probably give you the scoop if you ask over in the Team Corwin thread.

I don't know if you tried RuneScape but might want to give a try, I mean there are no restrictions as you need to be a fighter,healer,tank mage, you can role play and not engange in combat at all just like ultima online. There is lore and quests and not typical of go kill x number to complete a part but you need to use your brains sometime and interact and use objects, so far I haven't found an mmorpg that has similar style of interactivity. I mean you do whatever your imagination want would it be attempt to bake some bread but first you will need to go to mill and make the flour or borrow some eggs from farms or even pickpocket some seeds from farmers to plant them and grow something edible. There are plenty of miscellaneous skills not related to combat.

For better experience to play with someone and avoid at all cost to buy items in player shop and obtain all the items with your own hands.

Ultima online is awsome to if you like more the part of being able to fight for riches and I heard there are even some good free servers.

Last edited:
Thanks for the responses people.

Dteowner, I would love to play DDO without spending any money, but I didn't think it was really possible after researching it a bit. It seems at the very least, some of those adventure packs really are "must-haves", but I guess I'm wrong? Anyway, I think I'm going to seriously consider DDO. I will send my toon's name over if and when I make a character.

Igor, thanks for the response, Runescape sounds awesome, I love the baking bread bit and it seems like it is really involved and cool. I will look further into that and see what I find.

You can get to very high levels without spending a penny. I reached to about level 18+. I purchased the Menace of the Underdark on sale for $12 or $14 dollars which was a steal in my opinion for what you get. You can also grind favor to get free DDO points to spend on adventure packs. Thats what I did at first...bought Gianthold and a few other small ones. If you decide to try DDO let me know and I'll give you more details. The RPGWatch guild is very knowledgeable and the ship is a great benefit.

Does Lotro have epic loot and a world full of mystery and adventure? I do like the Lotr lore, so that would definitely help.

Does Lotro have epic loot and a world full of mystery and adventure? I do like the Lotr lore, so that would definitely help.

LoTRO is storyline heavy, solo friendly with grouping quests once in a while and "group content" at higher level. The game is full open-world as well. It got loots, with rare drops (if that is what you call epic loot?). Zones are quite large too (horse riding is fun). It's F2P with a cash shop though (similar to DDO, same company), but you can get a long way (all content up to Lone-land is free) without paying any money unless you are impatient. Doing deeds give you free Turbine points to buy zones (easier to gain than in DDO from my experience). There are guides online to "maximize" it. You can also buy the expac trilogy on steam if you like the game. I suggest waiting for sales, it always get 50% off.

It's one of my favorite MMO, I love the Shire.

By epic loot I just mean does it have a very good loot system? Lots of enchanted swords, legendary shields, many different items of interest, magical items, etc etc? I guess all MMOs have this stuff but some games do it better than others.

Lotro sounds pretty fun though. I'll look into it. Open-world is definitely a plus.

Lotro is the best MMo that I've ever played, it destroys WoW. That said, like WoW and most mmos, unfortunately it eventually gave in and did 2 naughty things.

A- went free to play
B- Nerfed the living hell out of everything

Now those may or may not be negatives to you. Personally, I consider free to play a mixed bag. On one paw, you get to try out the game and play quite a bit for free and that can be a good thing. On the other, it's like making out w/ a really hot Elven chick that doesnt let you get past 2nd base. You are held back, and that limit affects the game as a whole: it's difficulty, it's community, its leveling speed and mechanics, etc etc.

Whether the nerfing is the direct result of F2P is up for debate, I personally dont know what came first. I just know that whole sections of the game that used to be quite challenging, simply arent anymore. That said, the game is still excellent, and yes it's still challenging, and yes you can still die horribly fairly easily if you dont watch your ass. It's just not as hardcore as it used to be.

But it's definitely the best of the MMOs for story, crafting, the game itself is stunningly beautiful and makes WoW and it's peers look like a fucking joke. My wife is a Hobbit/Lord of the Rings/all-around Tolkien fangirl an fanatic, and she has played the game since release and marvels at how masterfully it adheres to the fiction and actually manages to work the player right into it. So if you love Tolkien, you owe it to yourself to experience Lotro.

Now all that said - This review of Guild Wars 2 by Angry Joe sold us on GW2, and it's installed and character made. I just havent gotten around to playing it yet. Supposedly, it's doing some revolutionary things within the genre regarding questing and grinding, and there's no monthly fee.

LOTRO sounds great, I am leaning towards that game now. Really liking the open-world aspect and the lotr lore.

Guild Wars 2 looks pretty cool, but I'm not sold on it, and I'm certainly not sold on spending $40-60 for a game I may not even spend that much time with (I'm used to buying used games for $10 :)

So yeah, definitely considering lotro. I am a big lotr fan, so I'm sure I will like it. Thanks for the suggestions.

Lotro is a wonderful wonderful game for the first playthrough. Lots to explore. However, it does tend to grind on and on midway through Moria and beyond (Moria is the first expansion). Worth playing, if only for Shadows of Angmar content.

I'm currently trying the Ghost N Goblins online with the help from my Korean friend. The game is actually pretty nice take to the classic. The game is a side scrolling game with 4 classes. I picked the Knight class cause I'm sticking to the classic.

So, LOTRO seems exactly what I'm looking for. Waiting on a new gaming laptop to get here from Fedex, but as soon as it does LOTRO is getting downloaded :).

Any tips/advice for a new LOTRO player? Anything I need to know? I'm trying to play free since it's free and if I really love the game I will consider spending some money on things. Let me know what I need. Thanks.

I only know 2 MMOs so far - the story-heavy SWTOR and the PvE-heavy DDO; which has almost 0 percent PvP (apart from literal "Tavern brawls").

I like both for their own parts, but for DDO you must be able to endure graphics which are not the newest.

So, LOTRO seems exactly what I'm looking for. Waiting on a new gaming laptop to get here from Fedex, but as soon as it does LOTRO is getting downloaded :).

Any tips/advice for a new LOTRO player? Anything I need to know? I'm trying to play free since it's free and if I really love the game I will consider spending some money on things. Let me know what I need. Thanks.

Here is a website
to maximize gathering turbine points and spending them to get more points (check the menu on the right for more tips). Most deeds complete by exploring and doing the normal content (some require a bit of grinding to kill monsters that are in remote areas). You should have enough free content to get to level 35. If you like the game at the point, I suggest you watch for Steam sales of the Rohan expac. It give you on top of Rohan, the Evendim, Moria, and Lothlórien quest packs.

Another tips: keep animal skins crafting mat in the starting zones and sales them in the AH. You will make good money, just keep the 2 gold limit in mind while doing so.

Since I could not find a nice MMO yet I currently stick with a Neverwinter Nights based module LOTR Gondorvsmordor. The game is a bit older but it certainly has a great open world with all Middle-Earth areas (about 50+ maps and bosses) and lots of enchanted swords, legendary shields, many different items of interest, magical items. The server is basically a completely redone NWN area where you can go to level 40 with many different classes plus the different gear from bosses gives you endless build options for your toons.

LOTRO questions

A little off topic re: LOTRO

I played when it came out, took a huge break, then played briefly after it went F2P. I wouldn't mind going back, but if it's too hard to find groups for the early dungeons I probably won't. I remember going to some dungeon by Tom Bombadil's house, I believe it was the Barrow Downs, but our group couldn't keep members in it and eventually I gave up.

So, my question to those that have been playing it: How hard is it to find groups of the appropriate level and roles (e.g. tank, healer, dps) for the earlier dungeon instances?

Also, LOTRO has raid instances too, doesn't it?

Back
Top Bottom