Mass Effect 3 - Review and More

Dhruin

SasqWatch
ComputerGames.ro submitted their review of Mass Effect 3, which carries a comparatively low score of 75% - heavy spoilers on the last page, apparently:
Devilschoice: unfortunately, not all the aspects of the story are so polished. Besides the main missions, the secondary ones are mostly fetch quests, repetitive and boring, mostly because all you need to do is go scan a planet and return to the Citadel. And I even had the bad luck of running into some annoying bugs: one mission went MIA, while another didn’t trigger even though I had the quest item with me.
Bossman: yeah, except for a couple of more... elaborate missions, the secondary quests were pretty much ignored. And the mentioned fetch ones reminded me of the MMO grinding to get some more resources for the final showdown. I did however like that you can get missions on the fly just by listening to people talking in the Citadel, without clicking like a maniac on every NPC in hopes that someone will give you something to do.
Chris Pretly says the face import issue will be fixed in the next patch, there's a new MP event this weekend called Operation: Fortress and Eurogamer discusses the ending again.
More information.

The charity thing that refused to accept money from ReatkeMassEffect is quite interesting too. Rather unprecedented, I'd say.

Child's Play didn't refuse to take money from the Retake Mass Effect movement. They did accept up to 80,000 US dollars. However, Child's Play felt that the focus on the Retake Mass Effect and its focus on getting the ending to ME3 'fixed' so to speak took focus away from what Child's Play is all about: helping children getting a better life when they're getting medical treatment in hospitals. And it would be really weird, if EA or Bioware did put pressure on Child's Play, since the co-founders of Bioware, Ray M. and Greg z. are real medical doctors. And they, themselves, Ray and Greg have given money to Child's Play as well as encouraged fans (of Bioware) to do the same.

Right, people giving money to Child's Play somehow detracted from it's goals, just because the money came from people who did not agree with BioWare. Curious. And on Penny Arcade (amongst some lies about fans getting what they wanted and thus winding down their efforts) it was clearly stated they did not agree with RetakeMassEffect goals. So they took the charity down.
Mind you, it;s just a group of people who are not happy with a game ending, and they try to convey just that in a civil manner (trolls of course happen, it's tens of thousands of people). Certainly nothing shady or illegal. So i find this decision by the charity to be ridiculous, and by extension - dictated solely by corporate interests.
It's also worth nothing that some sites, most notably IGN and Kotaku used this as a excuse to launch an black PR attack against a movement. It's surprising how unacceptable it is to be an unsatisfied customer.

EDIT: Also note that Ray and Gred sold BioWare to EA, and it's really not their call what do about it. And corporations have no morality, only shareholders.

Objectively speaking, 75 out of 100 is pretty low. The inevitable question rises - 7.5 out of 10 compared to what?

Thank you fungus its nice to see someone with subjective opinions and not the usual BS. I'm growing tired of people defending corporations when like you said all that matters is the shareholders not the customer.

But remember corporations are people to you know according to the law.:rolleyes:

Last edited:
I read somewhere there were threats against Child's Play over them accepting money for the change ME ending cause. It really got a lot of negative publicity. I think the whole charity thing was stupid. I can't believe people would willingly donate money to charity to get recognition for a cause to change the ending in a game. Why not organize and threaten to not buy their products or something far more productive.

I read somewhere there were threats against Child's Play over them accepting money for the change ME ending cause. It really got a lot of negative publicity. I think the whole charity thing was stupid. I can't believe people would willingly donate money to charity to get recognition for a cause to change the ending in a game. Why not organize and threaten to not buy their products or something far more productive.

The sad thing about this is once people realized it wasn't money spent on a new ending they requested there money back. It's a charity people how classy is that.

The sad thing about this is once people realized it wasn't money spent on a new ending they requested there money back. It's a charity people how classy is that.

And that's why you don't try to connect a protest to a charity unrelated to the protest. It causes ethical problems and confusion for both parties.

I hadn't heard that. That's even crazier. Of course with the 80k pledged to the charity that means EA knows the fans are willing to pay for their new ending DLC.

The sad part is I do not doubt it happened. For example, the facebook page had at that point 50k likes, so in such a mass of people some idiots were bound to happen. What I would like to know, was it really massive, or just a few cases? As this really changes perspective, between reasonable concern and black PR. Unfortunately, there seems to be no real data here. My personal feeling was that people at RetakeMassEffect were donating in good faith, but personal feelings prove nothing.

The third point in "thumbs down" is the most critical.

Back
Top Bottom