HD remake of Planescape: Torment

GuybrushWilco

Pirate Janitor
This news is kind of old, but it appears that Overhaul Games (the people who are doing the enhanced editions of Baldurs Gate 1 and 2) wish to also retool Planescape: Torment: http://www.cinemablend.com/games/Overhaul-Games-Want-Do-PlaneScape-Torment-HD-Remake-40797.html

I'm not really sure how I feel about this…PS:T is personally my fav game ever, and considered by many to be the best RPG, or even the best game ever made. I don't like the idea of anyone adding new quests or new story that the original writers and designers didn't intend to be in it. I know that there is an a mod already that adds back in, content that was originally meant to be there, but wasn't do to time constraints. However, this isn't really 'new' content, as the original intention was for it to be in the game. It may seem silly to complain about this since it is just a game :) but I'd rather see Obsidian redo Planescape: Torment, if anyone is going to do it, or rather just leave it as it is. Then again, maybe they would do it justice, or at least fix the rather outdated old resolution :).

Oh come on.

You people have to stop telling these people NOT to do this. The engine is archaic, it desperately needs an update. If they're going to upgrade the engine for Baldur's Gate, it would be a COMPLETE waste to not use the engine upgrade to make similar remakes of Icewind Dale and Planescape Torment. This kind of reaction is completely unwarranted and ridiculous. Stop trying to ruin one of the handful of good things RPGs have going for them this year. :p

Its not so much the engine upgrades or improved grafix as the idea of lesser writers adding quests and dialogue to what is undoubtedly the best written game in the history of pc games all in the name of a quick cashin.
Kinda like George Lucas's constant inane tinkering with the original Starwars trilogy except pst is actually a masterpiece.

Yeah as I said, I have nothing against making graphical or engine improvements. In fact, I'd like to play the game at a much higher resolution, without having to use buggy mods :). I just don't think it would be a good idea to change any of the story. Then again, I could be completely wrong, and it would be made better. It's not even that they are 'leser writers' They could be very good writers for all I know, but they aren't the original authors of the story, and so I'm not sure that adding in, or changing story and quest elements would work well, unless they can keep to the original vision.

Its not so much the engine upgrades or improved grafix as the idea of lesser writers adding quests and dialogue to what is undoubtedly the best written game in the history of pc games all in the name of a quick cashin.
Kinda like George Lucas's constant inane tinkering with the original Starwars trilogy except pst is actually a masterpiece.

There's nothing to indicate that they plan to add/change any of dialogues or quests, and I doubt they would be foolish enough to do that.

Planescape needs a graphical upgrade in a bad way though. I'd love to see them do the same thing as BG EE except without trying to add any additional content. Imagine playing PS:T in 1920x1200 with the ability to zoom in/out.

I guess I have a different view on it. To me we already have the originals we can go back and play them whenever we want. So they can add as much content as they want to the enhanced version.

I honestly wouldn't have a problem if they added things like multiple endings or multiple paths to take based on your choices.

I know they have no intentions of adding such things but I guess my point is i'm more open to it than most it would seem.

The quality of Planescape comes from Avellone and Colin McComb both and McComb has written quite a few Planescape sourcebooks. If they did add anything to PS:T, there is plenty of unused source material out there by one of the original authors already and since Planescape is almost all about existentialism, it all would match thematically. The narrative is so sprawling they could easily add another 30 hours in the middle and it'd hardly affect anything negatively. That being said, I doubt they'll be adding anything to PS:T or IWD, when they release them. BG is obviously their main focus and PS:T and IWD feel like afterthoughts.

I guess I have a different view on it. To me we already have the originals we can go back and play them whenever we want. So they can add as much content as they want to the enhanced version.

I honestly wouldn't have a problem if they added things like multiple endings or multiple paths to take based on your choices.

I know they have no intentions of adding such things but I guess my point is i'm more open to it than most it would seem.
If they add content it should be some kind of separate install/uninstallable patch.

I'd much rather them just update it to HD resolutions and perhaps patch some bugs out of the game. I can kind of see it being ok if they add stuff that wasn't finished to the game that was intended to be in the game. But that doesn't mean add in things they removed even though some of the data still ended up on the disc. They should get with the designers of the original games to see what this stuff is if they're going to do it.

I still think there should be some kind of option to play the different versions and no content should be added just for the sake of it.

If they add content it should be some kind of separate install/uninstallable patch.

I'd much rather them just update it to HD resolutions and perhaps patch some bugs out of the game. I can kind of see it being ok if they add stuff that wasn't finished to the game that was intended to be in the game. But that doesn't mean add in things they removed even though some of the data still ended up on the disc. They should get with the designers of the original games to see what this stuff is if they're going to do it.

I still think there should be some kind of option to play the different versions and no content should be added just for the sake of it.

You mean you wish it do be done in the EXACT WAY that Beamdog said it will done?

Refering to Baldur's Gate EE:
The new version of the classic RPG will have some new quests and a new NPC party member (based on the original game, these will be totally optional and can be ignored if you wish).

I swear, every time somebody mentions new content or a remake/sequel to any great game people react as if somebody announced that they will travel back in time and destroy everything that was good about the game, instead of, you know, adding some content that, if low-quality, can be ignored as easily as fan fiction.

I swear, every time somebody mentions new content or a remake/sequel to any great game people react as if somebody announced that they will travel back in time and destroy everything that was good about the game, instead of, you know, adding some content that, if low-quality, can be ignored as easily as fan fiction.

Amen to that.

pibbur

Speaking for myself i am upset when i see stuff like this because i consider video games to be art in the same way movies are/can be.
Most of what gets made for either platform is simply mindless entertainment ment for mass consumption and is usually aimed at the lowest common denominator but every now and then a genuine work of art comes along.
Pst is one such work of art and as such i feel artistic integrity needs to be respected and preserved.
If they did an actual remake rather then alter the original and port it to various platforms while adding just enough fluff to get away with legally calling it a remake i would not have a problem with it but that does not seem to be the case.

While now remembered for its irony considering the source i still think George Lucas had a point when he went before congress to argue for instilling laws against the alteration of films in order to preserve their heritage and i feel the same should apply to video games:

http://www.geeksofdoom.com/2011/09/...-continues-to-change-star-wars-saga/#comments

While now remembered for its irony considering the source i still think George Lucas had a point when he went before congress to argue for instilling laws against the alteration of films in order to preserve their heritage and i feel the same should apply to video games:

http://www.geeksofdoom.com/2011/09/...-continues-to-change-star-wars-saga/#comments

It's not the same thing though. You'll still always be able to purchase and play the original games. BG EE is marketed as a separate product, and so will any other game that Beamdog enhances. They're not replacing the originals.

You mean you wish it do be done in the EXACT WAY that Beamdog said it will done?

Refering to Baldur's Gate EE:

That doesn't mean that the new content won't be put into the game regardless. What I mean is if I want to play the game without the new content being in the game I should have the option to.

Games shouldn't be updated with new content unless it's actually optional to install or play with. We don't know whether or not the new content was actually meant to be in the game or whether it wasn't and whether or not it will actually be good. Some of you have too much faith in developers these days and there is no reason to. The content will either be fluff that's just there to sell the game by saying there is some new content or it will be some actual content that might change the tone of the game and will probably suck. I don't think any of those should be put into the game just for the sake of it.

Personally, I'd like to play a HD version of PST without them screwing with the game and changing it. I think most people would agree.

My mind is blown here. Read what's been said again. Beamdog said the new content will be optional. It'll be put in the game, yes. But it'll be optional. You'll be able to not enjoy it all you want! In fact, you'll be able to buy the ancient version from GOG and love your optimized for 640x480 graphics probably for at least a few more years before GOG goes under. And then you'll be able to pirate it again. Or dig out your discs or floppies or whatever you people do. The old game isn't being taken from you luddites. It's just being updated for people who don't still own a CRT. Stop bitching about it.

My mind is blown here. Read what's been said again. Beamdog said the new content will be optional. It'll be put in the game, yes. But it'll be optional. You'll be able to not enjoy it all you want! In fact, you'll be able to buy the ancient version from GOG and love your optimized for 640x480 graphics probably for at least a few more years before GOG goes under. And then you'll be able to pirate it again. Or dig out your discs or floppies or whatever you people do. The old game isn't being taken from you luddites. It's just being updated for people who don't still own a CRT. Stop bitching about it.

No one's bitching dumbass. Just discussing my opinion on the subject. This thread is about a HD version of PST not what's been announced for the BG:EE.

Yes but why do you think they'd suddenly change what they're doing after BG 1 and 2? Why would you imagine they'd force something else on you for PS:T that they aren't doing for the BGs? Where are you getting this paranoia that these people are going to taint your precious memories from? Your "opinion" shows a thought process that I simply am failing to understand.

Yes but why do you think they'd suddenly change what they're doing after BG 1 and 2? Why would you imagine they'd force something else on you for PS:T that they aren't doing for the BGs? Where are you getting this paranoia that these people are going to taint your precious memories from? Your "opinion" shows a thought process that I simply am failing to understand.

Read the thread. Particularly my first post and what I'm quoting. Someone basically said they were fine with adding new content and new endings to enhanced versions of these games. I just basically said I'd rather they not as it could potentially ruin the games. Follow the thread and maybe you won't be so lost in the conversation.

If you want to understand my thoughts on them. They are I'd like to have the option of playing the updated versions of the games in HD with no new content added. Updating these games with new content and changing things is akin to what George Lucas does every 5 years with changing the original Star Wars trilogy and we all know how that turned out. If you think different developers will be able to carry the same tone of the 10+ year old games they are updating along with writing as well as MCA wrote PS:T then I think you're in for a rude awakening when you see that new "content" they add.

And I don't really care if they still do it as long as I have the option of not installing it on my PC when I play it as I'd like to enjoy the originals in HD. I could always have the option of installing/uninstalling the extra content depending on whether it was good or not.

Back
Top Bottom