Diablo III

However if you quit in the middle of a giant random map, then the map will be reset and so will your position. But you will still be on that map, not back in town.

Now THAT is interesting. Are you in the middle where you were before or does it seem random where it drops you?

Last edited:
You start by one of the portal checkpoints. One time I started a game back up at one of these locations and was unexpectedly surrounded by enemies. I was completely unprepared and eventually died. That in itself is not a big deal, but if I had been playing with a "hardcore" character and had died, it would have been incredibly frustrating.

Was hoping to get some gaming done before school, but look and behold a weekly maintenance :(

Love the game but this is kinda frustrating for me since i can't play that much on regular hours.

Infrastructure issues aside, this game is flippin' awesome so far (only in Act II at the moment)! The care and creativity put into the environments and tactical variety of the scenarios alone is far and away the best I've seen in any of the aRPG's I've played to date. If you don't like D3, either:

a) aRPG's just aren't your thing

OR

b) you're jaded and have an ax to grind for some reason

RE HACKING: It's just started. With the temptation of REAL money in the auction house, I suspect it will become endemic. Blizzard better get it's shit together.

Yes, I also expected this. A REAL money aucion house is like a … bigger than just "huge" invite for gold farmers & spammers.

Some idiot already made the suggestion of a real money auction house for DDO. I replied to him that this was an invide for gold spammers.

DDO is relatively free of them right now.
I'm not sure, but I believe it's because their in-game economy just is evolved so that gold frming doesn't make much sense there. Used items can be sold to pawn shops there, actually, in-game, from which players can buy these items for in-game currency. I'm tending to believe that the in-game pawn shops are their greatest blow against gold faming.

Plus, you can get almost everything ia the so-called "Turbine Points" in the in-game "DDO-Shop". These "TP's" are the only thing in-game that can be bought via real money, apart from subscriptions.

Atually I suspect that the RMAH will dramatically reduce gold farming. The reason why gold is worth so much money in games like WoW, is because of the black market. It's illegal to sell, which dramatically inflates the price. It's like alcohol during the prohibition.

It's likely that DDO is free of gold farmers because it's not a popular enough game for the farmers to waste their time on. If your a gold farmer your going to farm on WoW.

Yes, I also expected this. A REAL money aucion house is like a … bigger than just "huge" invite for gold farmers & spammers.

Some idiot already made the suggestion of a real money auction house for DDO. I replied to him that this was an invide for gold spammers.

DDO is relatively free of them right now.
I'm not sure, but I believe it's because their in-game economy just is evolved so that gold frming doesn't make much sense there. Used items can be sold to pawn shops there, actually, in-game, from which players can buy these items for in-game currency. I'm tending to believe that the in-game pawn shops are their greatest blow against gold faming.

Plus, you can get almost everything ia the so-called "Turbine Points" in the in-game "DDO-Shop". These "TP's" are the only thing in-game that can be bought via real money, apart from subscriptions.

No, gold farmers will just farm equipment now and put it on the RMAH. They won't farm gold. Also any good items that are on the gold auction house will be bought and sold back on the RMAH. The whole economy will be real money. Not to mention the 15% fees Blizzard and Paypal get on your money when you sell something and when you try to move the money from the game to your bank account.

Well previously gold farmers farmed for equipment and sold it for gold, and then sold the gold for money. So that wouldn't be any different. But again, the only reason equipment, gold, or anything else, was ever worth the time for people to farm, was because of inflated black market prices. And even then the rate of return was poor that it was only worth it to people living in poor countries.

As for buying items on the gold Ah and selling them on the RMAH, that may not be worth the effort if RMAH prices are low. Spending hours farming 100,000 gold to buy a legendary, which you can then sell on the RMAH for $1.00, would be a pretty bad use of time, even for someone living in a poor country.

But anyway it won't be long before the RMAH comes out and we can see first hand what prices are like.

No, gold farmers will just farm equipment now and put it on the RMAH. They won't farm gold. Also any good items that are on the gold auction house will be bought and sold back on the RMAH. The whole economy will be real money. Not to mention the 15% fees Blizzard and Paypal get on your money when you sell something and when you try to move the money from the game to your bank account.

As for buying items on the gold Ah and selling them on the RMAH, that may not be worth the effort if RMAH prices are low. Spending hours farming 100,000 gold to buy a legendary, which you can then sell on the RMAH for $1.00, would be a pretty bad use of time, even for someone living in a poor country.

Even small things add up to the pile. And for a corrupt prison officer, this might be worth using "his" prisoners as "modern slaves" …

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/may/25/china-prisoners-internet-gaming-scam

The RMAH is clever. It's going to cause some problems, but it'll solve others.

The main thing it does IMHO is that people wanting to use real money to give themselves an item/gold boost can now do that legitimately. Which in turn means people can supply that legitimately. That doesn't rule out the illicit version running as well, but it removes the chunk of market that were turning to it out of lack of alternatives.

If that reduces the demand on black market services, then there should be a corresponding reduction in illicit means of obtaining items/gold for sale. I don't mean the farming, but the worse side of hacking accounts to obtain the goods. It won't eliminate it, but together with the greater audit trail of item data provided by the online component, it should reduce it.

If the hacking of accounts reduces, then that ends up being a better experience for the players.

The RMAH is clever.

Yes, but it also is a sign of greed : It isn't sufficient anymore for ActiBlizzard to receive/gain profits from the selling of the game alone.

Now they also want their share of this auction house.

This looks too much like Kotick to me.
Regarding what ideas he has had in the past.

This reminds me of telecommunication firms silently profiting from telephone call bill frauds by charging the money for the "fraudsters" from the customr's bank account. They wouldn't be interested in stopping this kind of scam, because they actually profit from it. (Thankfully that has almost died out nowadays it seems to me).

If one scandal at one point in the future turns out that ActiBlizzard is kind of profiting from "gold farmers" this way, the outcry might be loud.

But on the other side one doesn't know how much it *really* would affect them (ActiBlizzard).
Because people most likely just wouldn't care. Like they already endured the "always on" DRM policy.

Yes, but it also is a sign of greed : It isn't sufficient anymore for ActiBlizzard to receive/gain profits from the selling of the game alone.

Now they also want their share of this auction house.
If it's a choice between a publisher/developer of games I enjoy getting the share or some child labour abusing crime lord, I think I know who I'd prefer.

But as I pointed out, I don't think the transfer of trading profit is the main effect as far as the players are concerned.

The biggest danger I see is that they control drop rates to influence trading. Controlling drop rates to influence game experience is fine, but there is the possibility to be evil and use it to force people to use trade to progress in the game. That's quite a leap to imagine happening, unless you are the sort of person to blame car manufacturers for people driving badly, so it's not concerning me. If it was, I would have waited before playing the game to see how it panned out.

kalniel said:
The biggest danger I see is that they control drop rates to influence trading. Controlling drop rates to influence game experience is fine, but there is the possibility to be evil and use it to force people to use trade to progress in the game. That's quite a leap to imagine happening, unless you are the sort of person to blame car manufacturers for people driving badly, so it's not concerning me. If it was, I would have waited before playing the game to see how it panned out.

Accusations are already flying around forums that the gear dropped in Inferno is too poor/low level to be able to progress. Impossible to prove either way I think (could simply be that Blizzard have misjudged the balance, or that players haven't become sufficiently skilled in the game), but Blizzard have opened themselves up to those accusations simply by having a RMAH.

Accusations are already flying around forums that the gear dropped in Inferno is too poor/low level to be able to progress. Impossible to prove either way I think (could simply be that Blizzard have misjudged the balance, or that players haven't become sufficiently skilled in the game), but Blizzard have opened themselves up to those accusations simply by having a RMAH.

That has to be my biggest gripe with games like Diablo. Useless loot, even at high levels. Not to mention vendors don't help either. %0.000001 drop rates suck as well.

Waste of time. >.<

My loot has been pretty good, then again I'm a ranged character so I'm not up front getting whacked on constantly. I do more avoiding damage than anything.

I dont seem to be having the loot issues, or maybe I'm just good at the game. Or not in the next difficulty yet :biggrin:

I'm only in Act3 of Nightmare and the loot is already horrible, nevermind Inferno. Not only that, but I've been struggling monetarily to keep up with blacksmithing... and it's all for naught. Nine time out of ten, what you craft is complete rubbish and only serves to eat up the limited money/crafting ingredients you have.

Yes, I agree Drithius. Loot in normal mode worked out well (including blacksmithing), but on nightmare and beyond it's just plain rubbish. I hardly ever get decent loot anymore, and most main bosses seem to only drop rare (yellow) items on normal difficulty - beyond normal it's just blue stuff all over the place.

I don't even bother with blacksmithing anymore, unless I'm gearing up an alt for normal mode/start of nightmare.

I played a monk until level 10 then started a hardcore wizard. I am only in Act I of normal.

So far I'm having a great time. The music, visuals and atmosphere is as good as before, though I am partial to 2D textures. I am enjoying the crafting part of the game, but it sounds like that goes to Hell (no pun intended) later in the game. Haven't played any co-op yet. Very pleased with it. However, the limited skills you can bind to the mouse at any given time is annoying, as is needing to change them on the fly.

Also, the rare bosses end up looking like they have no textures due to the glowing yellow.

Oh well, I look forward to getting a lot of boozin'-Diablo time in this holiday weekend. The only thing I'm missing from my original Diablo days is the Pete's Wicked Pale Ale.

They have opened themselves up to that, but I think it's simply too early to say - if it only took a fortnight for most people to be able to finish inferno then we'd all complain Blizzard didn't provide enough challenge and ask them to add in another difficulty level that needed the x months of progression/farming that inferno currently seems to.

Back
Top Bottom