Mass Effect 2 - Crazy Stats And What They're For

Personally, I have zero doubt in my mind that their choice is based on having the fastest possible development time, and as a result the most profit for the least effort.
I agree. I honestly cannot believe they will have a fully-working-across-three-platforms-or-maybe-four game made in less than two years (assuming they started in March 2009 which is when, I've heard, the PC version of DA:O was complete) especially when in January 2010 they were quoted as saying they were working on the engine for DA2, with the present tense being important.

Dragon Age was started back when they still had a strong vision of gameplay, and not this mass appeal cinematic approach they've been doing since ME1.
KotOR? Jade Empire? Either way, DA2 is not what it should be. BioWare have taken what made DA:O successful and just gone "Eh, let's remove it", leaving us with Dragon Age 2: Rise of the Absolutely Fabulous Looking Pinkspawn ;)

KotOR? Jade Empire? Either way, DA2 is not what it should be. BioWare have taken what made DA:O successful and just gone "Eh, let's remove it", leaving us with Dragon Age 2: Rise of the Absolutely Fabulous Looking Pinkspawn ;)

I consider KotOR the last game worthy of Bioware, even if it was simplified somewhat.

I say last game, because Dragon Age has been in development for so long, that I don't really think what we saw represented the "new" Bioware.

KotOR was a fantastic hybrid of traditional gaming with a "modern" cinematic approach. Jade Empire was way too simplistic and actiony for my tastes. Mass Effect was a good sci-fi movie with minimal RPG elements. ME2 was even less of a game, but more of a movie. Well, unless linear rail-shooters is gamey enough for you, which it isn't for me.

Movies are great, but I prefer to have them called that.

Haha somebody played it through 28 times? That's insane. Or what could have happened is that some numbers from their own QA guys slipped into the statistics.

The only reason I consider 28 a high number is due to ME2s recent release. Otherwise, it wouldn't be all that high. There are probably several posters around that have twice those stats in games like Baldur's Gate and Gothic.

I'd really like to see the record for Super Mario Bros on Game Boy. Probably in the thousands by now, hehe.

Younger kids especially (or those younger in heart :) ) will play the same game over and over and ... I was semi-seriously concerned about my son and some of his friends with how much they used to play the Pokemon DS games. They all turned out OK as teens, though.

Last edited:
I don't know what games you folks were playing, but the ability to start a game with your old character, complete with previously learned skills/spells, was EXTREMELY rare. It's done in expansions only, if memory serves. ME2 is no expansion, it's a stand-alone game.

If you actually were able to import your complete character, it would be just about impossible for new players to play. They aren't going to understand what skills do what and, when they get done with their uninformed building, they are going to take several hours to figure out what they are doing. You can't balance a game for both kinds of players.

I don't know what games you folks were playing, but the ability to start a game with your old character, complete with previously learned skills/spells, was EXTREMELY rare. It's done in expansions only, if memory serves. ME2 is no expansion, it's a stand-alone game.

If you actually were able to import your complete character, it would be just about impossible for new players to play. They aren't going to understand what skills do what and, when they get done with their uninformed building, they are going to take several hours to figure out what they are doing. You can't balance a game for both kinds of players.

You're too young, perhaps :)

Pool of Radiance
Curse of the Azure Bonds
Secrect of the Silver Blades
Pools of Darkness

Champions of Krynn
Death Knights of Krynn
Dark Queen of Krynn

Baldur's Gate
Baldur's Gate 2

Plenty of others as well.

Still, plenty of CRPGs choose to "start over" - but the vast majority of them aren't PLANNED as trilogies. That's the primary difference here. Bioware had the PERFECT opportunity to plan for this to happen, because they knew from the start that they'd have 3 games with the EXACT same character.

That's what I called a missed opportunity.

In any case, it was never a problem before - having players start with a high level character. Anyone claiming that the Mass Effect system would be a challenge for new players to figure out, even with a high level character, must think VERY VERY little of new players.

It would take all of 5 minutes to absolutely exhaust all options during combat ;)

In any case, what you do is make a small tutorial introducing powers - and having new players either select a pre-made character with solid choices, or let them assign points during the tutorial as they learn the powers.

Bioware opted for the easy way out, because they didn't want to spend a week thinking about good ways to handle this. They'd rather claim it's impossible and not come up with creative solutions. That's because they have no creative vision whatsoever. Anyone willing to see with their eyes open, need only look at the first game - and see what they did with the inventory system - and how they changed that.

In fact, they obviously couldn't handle improvements to the system - so they pretty much abandoned every RPG mechanic, and turned it into a streamlined rail shooter movie. Talk about safe choices, yawn.

Look at Dragon Age 2 for further evidence of complete creative absence. They're throwing everything they spent 5-6 years creating for the first game, out of the window for a quick buck.

Am I the only one who feels a little uncomfortable with game companies gathering all these stats on me and how I play? I mean, yeah, I know it's not supposed to be tied directly into my identity or anything like that, but… it gets a little weird knowing that your every move in the game is somehow being recorded, parsed, broken into stats, and sent to some stranger.

No, you are not, and I'm shocked that other people here have become so used to being tracked that they don't even bat an eye. Personally, this is exactly why I don't want to have to be online to play and there should laws about this kind of invasion of privacy.

Just by buying the games, you're already hypnotized by the corporate forces - so I wouldn't sweat it ;)

Back
Top Bottom