"Page fault in none page area" on startup

Fnord

SasqWatch
I just had a rather severe crash, and my regular computer is not working properly. When it starts up, I notice green lines across the screen, which look like the graphics card is giving up (again), and when I try to start my computer in normal mode, I get a bluescreen saying "page_fault_in_none_page_area". I can boot up in failsafe mode without a problem though, and the green lines are not present there (though I can't seem to boot up in falesafe mode with a network connection, for some strange reason).

Does anyone know if this is my computers way of saying that it is ready to give up, or if there is a fix for this? I'm sadly leaning towards the former

I can boot up in failsafe mode without a problem though, and the green lines are not present there

If I remember correctly, in the "failsave" mode there are other, more generic display drivers used than in "normal" mode. Or at least this was so years ago.
Which could mean that your display driver(s) are damaged very much.

Sadly I can't find any options for doing a hardware test in my BIOS settings.

The green lines across the screen are shown as soon as the computer starts (and also while I'm in the BIOS menue). I'm getting more and more certain that my graphics card has suffered physical damage, it looks almost exactly like when my last graphics card blew a capacitor (which was why I downgraded to the one I have now. As I'm stuck with a first gen PCI-E 1.0a port on my motherboard, which are known for having compatibility issues with more modern PCI-E cards, actually finding a replacement might prove tricky).

Yeah, if you get the same artifacts without any windows drivers running (e.g. in the BIOS settings), that would definitely indicate a hardware problem.

You could try Ebay for older hard to find hardware.

I do still wonder why I don't get any graphics issues when booting up windows in failsafe mode.

I'm trying to find a graphics card on our local counterpart to ebay, hopefully it won't be too expensive.

I know, I'm just not quite sure when I can actually afford a new computer. Probably July at the earliest, and that is if my course literature don't get too expensive.

But I did find a bit of life support for my computer. A slightly better, and hopefully fully functional graphics card, which I just snagged from ebay for 4€ (no postage, as the person who was selling it lives within commuting distance).

It worked! Like a zombie, my computer raised from the dead, a second time!

(Zombie is a fitting name in more ways than one actually, not only has it come back from the dead, it is also darn slow)

Nice ! :)

When did you do OS re-install last time Fnord? I know it's a pain but it really should be done from time to time.
Hopefully your comp will work until you can upgrade but, if you experience similar problem again any time soon, it might be a problem with your graphic card socket rather than graphic card.

Back
Top Bottom