Blizzard: You will need an authenticator to use the RMAH

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
It seems Blizzard has updated the terms of use, as an authenticator is now required to add money to your Battle.net balance to buy items in the AH, or to send your winnings to your Battle.net balance. Essentially what this boils down to is that you need an authenticator to do anything significant on the RMAH.

The only two options are to buy a physical token, or to download the free app on your smartphone. In case you're reserved about giving Blizzard your money, keep in mind that the company claims that they make no profit on the tokens themselves. Either way, if you're looking to dive into the RMAH and do not have a smartphone, now is the time to order an authenticator.

There you have it. Just thought I would share this since many here are playing the game. I know I'm not.:)

I've heard there have been several cases where people who have authenticators have been hacked. Blizzard denies this, but I guess once the RMAH comes out we shall see.

The authenticators are extremely secure, it's a similar system that banks use. However, nothing is every 100% secure, and there are reports that if your computer gets infected by the right virus/malware, they may be able to intercept your authenticator codes. It's technically not hacking, and it has a tiny window of opportunity, but it's still a potential way around the authenticator.

And yeah Blizzard takes a loss on the sale of the physical tokens, but they make the money back by not having to hire so many people to restore hacked accounts.

More Money To ActiBlizzard !

The authenticator is either physical or on your tablet/smartphone normally…So that would be pretty hard to intercept even if your computer is hacked.

Not that it would be impossible hack your phone or tablet. But if someone is targeting you so much as to hack your phone AND then also manages to hack your computer to get your bnet info. I'd be worried about far more than just my RMAH stuff heh, i'd run and check my bank account too if they're good enough to manage all that :p.

Either way, if you're looking to dive into the RMAH and do not have a smartphone, now is the time to order an authenticator.
Or a smartphone. ;)

Supposedly what they do is just infect your computer so that when you send out your authenticator code it goes to them instead. Then they have a tiny window of less then 30 seconds to log into your account using the same code. It's probably not remotely worth all the time and effort it takes for them to do it though. And it requires you to be stupid enough to download the virus onto your computer in the first place.

The authenticator is either physical or on your tablet/smartphone normally…So that would be pretty hard to intercept even if your computer is hacked.

Not that it would be impossible hack your phone or tablet. But if someone is targeting you so much as to hack your phone AND then also manages to hack your computer to get your bnet info. I'd be worried about far more than just my RMAH stuff heh, i'd run and check my bank account too if they're good enough to manage all that :p.

I already have an authenticator. It's well worth it when actively playing WoW and D3 given how often people get hacked. For one to be required to use RMAH makes perfect sense, as it makes the whole thing quite a bit more secure.

So you have to spend money in order to access the RMAH and spend money? :)

It's free if you have a smartphone, though :)

But the game is all but dead to me already. It's just boring now....

It's free if you have a smartphone, though :)
And the physical thingy cost only 9 euros, including freight.
But the game is all but dead to me already. It's just boring now….

You could always start WOW again

pibbur who runs and hides as Denmark is uncomfortably close to where he lives

Never heard of authenticators before. Interesting.

It's pretty much a no-brainer if you want to enjoy Blizzard games. The level of hacking seems to be completely ridiculous - and it will only get worse with the RMAH in Diablo 3.

Never heard of authenticators before. Interesting.

They are there, here, in Saturn's retail (Saturn in an electronics chain) as small retail packages, lingering in the retail shelves not too far away from WOW and all other games by Blizzard.

I'm not convinced that the RMAH will increase hacking. In Wow at least, it's the black market for gold that artificially increases the price, and makes hacking much more profitable.

Either way, I agree that getting an authenticator is a no brainer.

It's pretty much a no-brainer if you want to enjoy Blizzard games. The level of hacking seems to be completely ridiculous - and it will only get worse with the RMAH in Diablo 3.

Shouldn't the authenticator be included with the game?

I don't think there were going to make you own one but they have security concerns because of recent hacking. That's my guess they never said you needed one before release.

The little dongle will cost you $9.00 that's shipping included together. I agree they should of included one with the boxed copy for people who bought it.

They charge $10 to ship to Canada. Fuckers. Put it in a padded envelope it'd cost a fucking dollar.

Oh, it requires a physical token that generates passcodes? That's WAY overkill for just a game. It's looking like my purchase of this game will be put off indefinitely. Way to go Blizzard. :p

Back
Top Bottom