Hey Smokers: I Hate You

xSamhainx

Paws of Doom
Original Sin Donor
Dear Smokers: I Hate You

Well, maybe 'hate' is too strong a word. I dont hate you, I'm just pissed. Dont get me wrong here, I think hatred of many different people, places, and things are entirely justified. But smokers… well, it's more of a strong disdain. A healthy dislike for their particular fetish, their obsession. Ive known some smokers that were actually pretty cool when they werent posing with their cigarette.

I was starting to think that it was a rarity, but the tobacco industry is indeed still in business. People still do this? Grown men and women, with everything we know about how smoking ravages the human body - people still willingly do this to themselves? It really is quite a strange habit when you think about it. I personally can count on one claw (and that's only 4 digits) how many people I know that smoke. One of them, unfortunately, is our new next-door neighbor.

I found this out when i came home to a house reeking of tobacco smoke today, because I had left my living room window open while we were out. Nice day, why not? It stank my entire house up. So basically, this person enjoys a smoke on their front porch (which it looks like they do it a lot) and the entire right side of my house has to stay air tight, or we get to enjoy it as well. I have the audacity to leave my windows open on a nice day, and my own home reeks. Welcome to the neighborhood, slob.

Ah yes, the sweet smell of smokers. The omnipresent smell of burnt trash. Their cars, their homes, their clothes, their breath. How can people tolerate themselves, and pretty much everything they own being literally smoke-damaged? You expect that shit from high school kids trying to be cool, but grown adults? Is it still considered cool?

I think the only people more fucking annoying than smokers are the idiots that drive around with music so loud in their vehicles, it actually shakes your innards from a block away. It goes without saying that those inconsiderate dolts are very lucky that I have no power whatsoever, because they'd be publicly caned if i had my way.

But back to the walking chimneys.

I've dated a couple smokers before, and they've always been the same: annoying.
Women who smoke are unattractive, even if they are good looking. It's an instant turn-off. Going somewhere in a hurry? Wait a minute, gotta stop at the store and get some smokes. Stuck somewhere, out of cigarettes? Let's beg complete strangers for an "extra" cigarette, that's so appealing. Youre dealing with someone who is reasonably intelligent, attractive, and polite one minute, and the next an immature child who needs their treat "or else".

Everywhere the smoker goes, at all times they must have the contingency plan for a smoke. Come back from the bathroom and she's gone, huddled outside and around the corner like a junkie sucking down her fix. Cant sit thru the movie, sorry have to go smoke. Be back in a few. Forget it, dont come back. You smell like trash.

Go get help, before you die from your disgusting fetish.

Last edited:
Grown men and women, with everything we know about (…) people still willingly do this to themselves?
Yes, it's frightening to know that so many people do this to themselves. They are aware and conscious that doing so can lead them to their death and despite of that they willingly go to the recruitment centers and sign in the army…

Sammy, for once I totally agree with everything you wrote!! :)

Sammy, for once I totally agree with everything you wrote!! :)

I know it's like the twilight zone right now.:p I never agree with him either.

The solution is to keep raising the taxes it forced some of my family to finally quit. For once taxes finally worked in my favor.:lol:

Raising the cost does nothing but drive up the demand, and make the devout more faithful.

It stopped my father when a carton cost almost $70. He used to smoke almost 2 cartons a week now he has been clean for 3 years.(That's 24 packs for those who don't know) I tried for years to get him to stop.

But yeah it wont work on everyone just like guns isn't?(Couldn't help myself after your last topic) No solution will please the masses nor is there an easy solution.

It's addictive….

That's all there is to it. People are hypocritical when they're against joints, but don't say anything against nicotine. That's all it is. Many are literally junkies - with a select few actually not addicted.

Nothing to do with being cool for many of the adults. They literally cannot stop. However since people think smoking is alright they don't send their children or family members to rehab for it. It's socially accepted.

A French comedian makes fun of it…

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11FKSur48sc (it's subtitled, but quite well imo)

A French comedian makes fun of it…
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11FKSur48sc (it's subtitled, but quite well imo)

Pretty funny especially considering how popular smoking is in France.

My father just quit for a second time. He's smoked for most of his life, and I really didn't think he would/could ever quit. He's using one of those electronic vapor cigarettes now instead.

I despise smoking. I wish it would just get banned entirely.

Rarely have I read a more ignorant post. You're talking about human beings that are addicted to something that's not healthy or pleasant - as if they want to be addicted and as if they enjoy smelling bad. Then you're using your negative opinion of their habit and twisting it into something about their personality - and you utterly fail to grasp the concept of addiction and how it affects behavior. Your knowledge of the human condition is a joke.

Oh, I agree that smoking is disgusting and unpleasant - but to attribute it to personality and generalise in this unfounded way is unsetting to the stomach.

I'm a passionate smoker. I never turn off my cigarette, when one is wasted I'm instantly grabbing another one.
And I smoke everywhere, including my room where I sleep. For decades.

Still, I'm not smoking in the presence of nonsmokers or kids. Not because of haters like Samy is, but because I believe everyone has a choice to smoke or not to smoke.

And I don't care for preaching. Smoking kills? Right. I'm still alive. When I die, it could happen because of smoking too much after years of enjoyment. But at least I won't be killed by a mad gunner while at schoool. Or by GMO. Or BSE. Or radiation experiments. None of that is "available" here where I live. And somehow, I like the fact you hate me for it. :)

Rarely have I read a more ignorant post. You're talking about human beings that are addicted to something that's not healthy or pleasant - as if they want to be addicted and as if they enjoy smelling bad.

I appreciate this sentiment but I'm not sure it applies to smokers frankly. We aren't talking about crack here. I smoked some 20 years ago and sure it was hard to quit, but you don't exactly detox with cold sweats for days. It is a personality defect if smokers want to quit and cannot. It is a failure of willpower. Given the quit smoking aides out there today there is just no excuse. The typical relapse is with drinking don't forget.

@joxer, I hate you too then. ;) Just trying to make u happy.

At least you're not coming from quack-morality Oprah show trying to dictate everyone outside of your country how they should live ignoring your domestic healthhazard and life threatening problems no other country has. I guess my smoking is the reason of all mass murders, corruption and decadent society over there so I should be hated and if possible, killed. I'm a bigger problem than Bin Laden was and all smokers should be erradicated, ASAP.

Imagine if someone from Japan told me two years ago that I shouldn't work in a nuclear power plant just because he dated someone who works in one. Dated, means it's past, mentioning it in negatively started politics&religion thread also means that it didn't work/end well. And we all know what recently happened in Japan.

But if the smoking habbit is my only sin that made someone to hate me, well, I'm happy.

I appreciate this sentiment but I'm not sure it applies to smokers frankly. We aren't talking about crack here… Given the quit smoking aides out there today there is just no excuse. The typical relapse is with drinking don't forget.
Didn't use crack, but did used pot. So what? Quitting and aides… I simply don't want to quit. Drink? Yes I do get pissed from time to time and I don't want or plan to stop. I'm not hurting anyone with it and I don't become aggressive or completely crazy under alcochol, but in fact I become utterly forgiving, romantic and in love with everyone. Luckily I didn't live in a certain country where the government poisoned alcochol and was killing it's own ppl during prohibition.

In one of previous threads I've said I just wish to have enough money to move on heavy drugs like McAffee did. I was serious. And it wouldn't surprise me if I got some more hatred on me for that.

Last edited:
I am not a smoker and I also despise smoking and over the years my tolerance level has decreased to zero so I can relate to the OP. According to some statistics I once saw, Spain is one of the countries in Europe with the highest percentage of smokers.

I really hated it that my clothes always ended up stinking of smoke after leaving a bar or that other people's smoke would reach me while eating in a restaurant. Fortunately, a few years ago, the Spanish government has prohibited smoking inside bars and restaurants, a dream come true. So now, smokers have to go outside to smoke a cigarette, and believe me …I do not feel sorry for them when it is cold or raining :).

Ah lemme add the last thing and then I'm out of this rediculosity.

Our government tried to enforce a ban-smoking law over here. What happened? Ppl deliberately ignored it and when everyone breaks the law, you can't arrest half of the country or whatnot. The law, as impossible to be applied here, was cancelled.

It was of course noted worldwide:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/theobserver/2009/nov/29/world-lens-zagreb-ballet-smoking
The photo there is not fabricated, it's genuine and that ballerina became a sort of a national hero back then. :)

We do however have smoking and nonsmoking bars over here. You don't want to stink? Don't go to bars where smokers are. Just as we (smokers) don't go to nonsmoking bars.

Last edited:
Joxer: I said "if smokers want to quit and cannot". In your case it sounds like you have no intention of quitting so my comments don't apply to you.

I appreciate this sentiment but I'm not sure it applies to smokers frankly. We aren't talking about crack here. I smoked some 20 years ago and sure it was hard to quit, but you don't exactly detox with cold sweats for days. It is a personality defect if smokers want to quit and cannot. It is a failure of willpower. Given the quit smoking aides out there today there is just no excuse. The typical relapse is with drinking don't forget.

Personality defect? I hope you're kidding.

Then we all have personality defects - because we all do things that aren't healthy even though we know we shouldn't. We all affect others negatively - even though we know we shouldn't. We do that on a daily basis - because that's what it is to be human, and no one behaves ideally all day long. That's bullshit.

Some people smoke willfully - and some don't, and I'm not disputing that. Lots of people don't think there's anything wrong with smoking and they have arguments that fit their own lifestyle and position.

To generalise like SamX did is the height of ignorance.

Because you managed to quit it doesn't mean that people who don't are defective. That's the height of arrogance.

So, I suggest you climb down your horses before someone points out your own defects.

We're all human here.

Rarely have I read a more ignorant post. You're talking about human beings that are addicted to something that's not healthy or pleasant - as if they want to be addicted and as if they enjoy smelling bad. Then you're using your negative opinion of their habit and twisting it into something about their personality - and you utterly fail to grasp the concept of addiction and how it affects behavior. Your knowledge of the human condition is a joke.

Oh, I agree that smoking is disgusting and unpleasant - but to attribute it to personality and generalise in this unfounded way is unsetting to the stomach.

Have you ever smoked habitually, Dart? I'm betting you havent. You and Jemy are gonna break out your textbooks and look up "smoker", and think you have all the answers for us.

My knowledge of this subject not only comes from my observation of people, but my own experience as a smoker at about 19-20. Yes, i have been one of the walking chimneys myself. I smoked for about a year and a half or so, maybe 2 years, and in that time I thought I was pretty damn cool. I was primarily addicted to the act of smoking, not a chemical addiction. I'm not saying that nicotene was irrelevant, but overall I enjoyed the taste and smell of smoke. I liked to draw the taste in before I even lit the thing, then lighting it up is all the sweeter. I liked the fact that I could instantly relate with someone else I didnt know, the other smokers lurking around the designated smoking spot. Us rebels. I liked the way i appeared while smoking, i was just like Johnny Bender from the Breakfast Club!

If people dont like it, tough shit. It's a free country. In fact I'm glad you dont like it. Deal with it.

And when I quit, it wasnt some shaky longing for a physical feeling plaguing me, i missed the act itself. I felt uncomfortable in social situations, and even alone, because I didnt have my little break from the world I gave myself every hour. My de-stresser, my ruminator. That little personal "time out" that I could sit there and stare at the floor, and think about things. While looking and feeling damn cool.

Yeah it made everything I own stink, but that comes w/ the territory. You take the good with the bad. Smelling like trash is a small price to pay when you look so cool. Having my own little private Idaho, my own little space in time, clarity and observation of moment to moment, drag to drag was well worth it. The chance of connecting with a previously unknown female, literally lighting her fire, totally worth it. And the health concerns are just like anything else - "it cant happen to me". They could make cigarettes called 'Carcinomas', a black pack with a skull and crossbones, and smokers would be lined up around the block to get them.

My wife says the same thing, and she smoked for 15 years. It's primarily the act of smoking that hooks you. 20 years ago it seemed like it was far more prevalent, at least it looks like it's waning in popularity and hopefully on the way out.

And i know that I pretty much answered all my "questions" from my original post here, they werent really questions at all but ranting observations. I came home, my house smelled like crap, and I realized that this is a new fact of life living here. We've worked hard, saved up, and actually got a little lucky and now have kind of a dream home in a nice neighborhood. Now I have to watch my windows, and that enraged me beyond belief. Maybe I need to just simply go have a talk with my neighbor.

Actually, i'm gonna go play some Trek. I cant believe I've been sucked into banging out huge posts again. I need to rant to vent, then let others do all the arguing. This is a waste of valuable time off work.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom