Writing for RPGWatch

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
As you might have noticed we are not doing that many articles, but would like to have more. So maybe you could help us out on this.
Everybody has an opinion on games. If you feel that with yours you can write a preview, review, retrospective, introspective, interview or whatever that is related to RPGs or any other game we might happen to cover in our news. We will publish it with your name on it (unless you don't want that).
We can also help in providing review copies of games, but you would need to have a track record on our forums that will convince us that getting you one is worth it.

We will check your submission and can decide not to publish if we feel it is not good enough or not fitting. We will offer suggestions for corrections and work with you on completing the article as well. We can establish contacts (to some extend) in the game industries if that is required.

What we will not do is pay you for it. If we get you a review copy you get to keep it, but besides that the fame an glory of having an article on RPGWatch is your only payment :)

Feel free to ask any question you might have. If you are interested in doing an article send me a PM or mail and we can discuss it.

I nominate DArtagnan. He would be perfect for the job.

Not me as I'm as cynical as they come.;) I'm also not a people person as I prove that on most topics. I look forward to seeing who gets the position.

It is not a position. It is an invitation to write for RPGWatch. Everyone can submit their articles. There is no requirement to do this on a regular basis or to do even more that one article.

We do have a position open for a reliable news poster :)

Hi Myrthos,

is Mr. Dhruin out of business ? I hope not...

I nominate DArtagnan. He would be perfect for the job.

+1
While I don't always agree with him for my relatively short time here(I was stalking and watching you other kids play around year/year and half before making account)his opinion is one of I respect most,he tends to be very critical and have strong arguments for everything he says.

Well, I'd like to do an article on "Sim's Medieval", because I still do believe that this is an RPG, but I'm sure that it will need lots of proof-reading.
I never did any article in ages.

I'd especially like to have someone who owns that game (and its Expansion) as well, so that I can be safe in translating all of its in-game words and specific terms into the English language. Also for proof reading as well.

Can't help you Alrik, not only my vocabulary ain't fit for "proofing" or something, but I don't have Sims Medieval DLC, just the core game. Still, I'm looking forward to read your review. As I know there will be no insults and bloodboil inside.

I have sometimes thought about writing something in the past, giving something back to the site. If I can actually find the time, I might submit something.

Well, I'd like to do an article on "Sim's Medieval", because I still do believe that this is an RPG, but I'm sure that it will need lots of proof-reading.
I never did any article in ages.

I'd especially like to have someone who owns that game (and its Expansion) as well, so that I can be safe in translating all of its in-game words and specific terms into the English language. Also for proof reading as well.

If no one more appropriate steps up, I have both game and DLC and could try but haven't played for ages and not sure I should be someone's proofreader and may not have time but would try. Also your english is better than most locals I know.

Time has been hard for me to come by lately, but I am totally interested in this idea. I have a writing background (and a degree in English Lit), so I think I could handle the structure and grammar to satisfaction. Would we be able to choose the games we are interested in for advance review? I would absolutely help out with a game like Wasteland 2 or Original Sin.

What happens quite often is that small or indie developer A offers us a preview version, or later a review copy, … and we can't accept it because we don't have writers available. Sometimes PR agancies offer us (p)review copies for games they represent. Same result.
Sending out copies is no longer a cost factor because most devs use Steam nowadays. The limiting factor is the lack of writers.
It's not about writing much. We don't expect one article every week or other such nonsense. But if we had 3 more writers who deliver one article per quarter each, our site would look much more active.
Chosing the games is possible in so far as you can propose topics and that you can scream "me, me" when the man with the contact asks who wants to have a certain review copy. With a few exceptions only smaller games are "offered" by devs. The classic publishers wait for us to ask them for a review copy. Only the A list of gaming sites gets everything automatically.

Consider me interested. I think I can certainly find the time to write a review per quarter. I have written plenty of RPG reviews that I have posted on Gog and places like Gamespot. Obviously I have some certain criteria I tend to look for in games, but I think reviewer bias is pretty unavoidable.

How can I proceed? Will you come to me with games that you want to have reviewed?

Cool, once and awhile i feel like typing out a retrospective or review on some old game i dust off or simply play for the first time. I just have never had a purpose to do so.

you are a generous employer
I have an interview I conducted and sent a couple of months ago. Is that in the queue?
No it is not. Maybe you should send it to me.

Consider me interested. I think I can certainly find the time to write a review per quarter. I have written plenty of RPG reviews that I have posted on Gog and places like Gamespot. Obviously I have some certain criteria I tend to look for in games, but I think reviewer bias is pretty unavoidable.

How can I proceed? Will you come to me with games that you want to have reviewed?
A review is a personal opinion of the writer, so some bias is always there.

If anyone wants to do an article state your interest. Here on the forums, via PM, the contact links or mail. If you want a review copy let us know. If we have a request I'll let you know too.

The current request we have is to do a (p)review of a Consortium build.

Oh, COME ON. Not sure I'd want an RPG recommendation from you now!:p

You are allowed to not to read my articles, in the case that I ever do some. :D

You mean WHEN you do some.

Back
Top Bottom