M&M: Heroes VI - Shades of Darkness Review @ Softpedia

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Softpedia has a review of M&M: Heroes VI - Shades of Darkness. Word of warning it's not positive. I can't blame though after the release the game became unplayable again.

The game was billed as a standalone expansion and was supposed to be easily downloadable via the much lauded Uplay service from Ubisoft.

As soon as the new content was launched, players who bought it started complaining that they could not access it at all or that it was only playable in its most basic form, with no sound and no cutscenes.

The team behind Might & Magic: Heroes VI – Shades of Darkness announced that all problems would be dealt with quickly but, at the moment, there still are significant issues with the game despite the fact that one patch was launched.

It’s hard to recommend a video game that fails to perform its most basic functions, from a company that is willing to take players' without giving them a quick and simple way of running the purchased product.

If we ignore the launch problems, which might be solved at some point in the future, Might & Magic: Heroes VI – Shades of Darkness fails to deliver any sort of important innovation for the series and delivers a rather bland, over-developed campaign and tactical battles that are spectacular at times but rarely capture the magic of the series.

Heroes of Might & Magic fans should pick up and replay the second and third games in the series and their expansions to get their dose of turn-based tactics and strategy.
More information.

I'm glad they get punished for their laziness.

when you nail a near perfect gameplay from the start.. you should focus on improving as little as possible where you feel it could be better. They managed to break alot of things on the way.

For me, the chronicles were the highest moment of the series.

Maybe one day Ubisoft will learn not to force people to go online to play a single player game. Personally, I think this story is absolutely hilarious. Mind you, I'd like to play the game some day, but not while the full benefits are only available to those that do the online part.

-Carn

I do say HoMM6 is great, but would I buy this standalone add-on that practically doesn't bring anything different? Sorry, but no.
If only Ubisoft decided to make a silly spin-off like Blood Dragon, I'd buy that one instantly.

If only Ubisoft decided to make a silly spin-off like Blood Dragon, I'd buy that one instantly.

I would've if it came sooner. Now a strange feeling of disgust is creeping in.

I didnt have a single problem with it. Maybe because i had Uplay installed already?

And imo story was the high point in the game. :/ Though i agree the gameplay was nothing special.

From what I'm reading most of the people who have problems had M&M v6 on steam; and when they purchased this add-on the new integration with uplay broke the online dynasty stuff with M&M v6. I don't own this game so these commetns are second hand. Personally I'm avoiding ubi-soft stuff - the integration with uplay is just plain annoying. I did get far cry 3 blood for free and I can't just run it (like steam programs where steam is running int he back ground or even origin programs). I ahve to first open uplay (manually) and then select it from uplay (this sounds minor but is very annoying). The other thing I'm hearing is that uplay servers are unreliable for some and when become unavailable the dynasty stuff goes away - this remains me of when I played dragon age and every freaking time EA servers would crash my DLC would become unavailable (which is plain silly for a single player game). Anyways I've given up on bioware/origin and uplay - I've not had so much trouble with steam - where things woudl stop working while playing a game so they seem to be doing something better here - either in system design or reliability.

You're actually describing uPlay issues, it's not Steam's fault. Join the club. :)

uPlay is definetly annoying DRM, but IMO not as annoying as Origin.

I haven't had as many issues with my games in the last 10 years put together as I have had with HMM6.
At least the expansion is true to its origins? :)
Anyhow, I won't be bothered to pay this overprized campaign or the other two at all, thanks.

Back
Top Bottom