General News - Why are RPGs so hard to classify?

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Another entry in Felipe Pepe's excellent blog at Gamasutra:

Why RPGs are so hard to classify and evolve?

Computer RPGs are weird.

Even thought I play & love them since childhood, even though I'm editing a book on CRPGs, even though I've been posting on the RPG Codex for NINE YEARS (Oh god, send help), I can't easily answer one of the hardest questions ever - be it for devs, critics or fans: "define RPG".

So I've decided to sit down and rant a bit on why it's so hard to define this genre, and also why it's a genre that sometimes end restricting its games. Some of it will be obvious, but I hope to offer some decent insights. I even recruited Batman for this.

Buckle up, this will be LOOOOOOONG.
More information.

Ahahahahahahaha. That was a funny read (and somewhat sad too) and remind me of a discussion we had in the 2015 awards thread here.

A the nostalgia from the Daggerfall character creator screen. When I think that fitted on a 600x480 screen. You don't see that amount of details in games today.

And for once, I say read the comment section.

That was an interesting read. I wonder if the way forward is to simply abandon the term rpg altogether and use more gameplay particular descriptions to describe a game. ie. Diablo is a hack n'slash action game with stats.

It stops being an RPG for me at the Batman Arkham example. I'm in the side (dice-rollers) that thinks the most defining aspect of an RPG is that it's the character's abilities (and not mine) what determines the success or failure of an action. If my character is bad at shooting, but I'm an expert FPS player, my character should fail at shooting.

To me playing an RPG first and foremost means that I can let my character do whatever I want. Explore, fight, talk, trade, play, dress. In other genres where you play a role as well (sports, strategy, simulation, shooter etc.) the possible actions are a lot more limited.

To make it a good RPG I need immersion, which is achieved by the aforementioned freedom as well, but also by good story/plot, customization, skilling etc.

And yes, I like it best if my character's skills determine success instead of my own abilities.

Back
Top Bottom