Unwritten - Funding Unsuccessful

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Unwritten: Echoes of Twilight has failed to get funded for the second time. Here is the last update with more information on what Druid Gameworks plans to do next.

Final Update: Beyond Kickstarter

Hello Again Kickstarters,

Another campaign has come and nearly gone now. We’ve put our best foot forward for our current state of development and while we’re very proud of what we’ve accomplished together, it doesn’t look like the crowd funding climate is in our favor right now. Our deepest thanks go out to those who have pledged, re-pledged, and tried desperately to get us to our goal; you guys are amazing, thank you SO much for all of your support!

Now that this Kickstarter is wrapping, let’s talk about what happens next?

Without proper funding, it’s just not possible for us to begin full development on Echoes of Twilight, let alone complete it. Currently, production has stalled as our Havok keys expired at the end of our free trial; we need a minimum of $15,000 just to license our engine and resume our work. We will continue to create assets for Echoes of Twilight, until we are able to raise enough of a project budget to get the engine unlocked again. However, we are unwilling to compromise our vision due to lack of funding. We would rather wait, raise the money needed, and make the game we envisioned, than hack it to pieces to get some mutilated form of the game made for less. It means waiting a little longer for Echoes of Twilight, but having a game that’s worth the wait.

We will continue to post updates regarding progress on assets for Echoes as well as funding news in our Developer Blog
More information.

I backed this project and I'm disappointed it didn't fund. I really like their concept but maybe their timing is just bad... so many kickstarters going on and the holidays are here not to mention xbox one and PS4 just got released... too much competition for entertainment dollars right now.

I never got past the WoW-like panda thing. I'm shallow that way.

Aaand another reason for indies not to make use of expensive engines.

panda thing.
I've said twice already, but will say it the third time. I'm not interested into playing a bear head attached to a humanoid body. That's one of reasons why I didn't want to support this game. Can't remember others though...

15k to fund the engine? Use Unity free edition, come back when you've got something more concrete to show, that has at least a spark of originality.

15k to fund the engine? Use Unity free edition, come back when you've got something more concrete to show, that has at least a spark of originality.
Unity would not be the best engine for the game they were hoping to make, and we don't need every kickstarter using it. Anyway the game still has a small hope of getting made. Here are the details for those that are to lazy to read the whole update.
AKA, Plan B. Rather than sitting idle Druid Gameworks will now begin developing a short prelude title in the Unwritten series for Android, iOS, and Windows PC, tentatively called Project Dreamtime. Mobile development is free with Havok’s Project Anarchy tool set, and exporters for Windows PC will run us about $5,000 which is a sum we can feasibly raise quickly. This small project will be about the size of Bethesda’s Dragonborn DLC, and should retail for about $3.99-4.99.

Our hope is that Dreamtime will help us get our names out there, give players an idea of the game play they can expect, and also help raise funding for Echoes of Twilight while increasing our chances for a successful Kickstarter at some later date. It's our chance to give players the game play they desperately want to experience.

Project Dreamtime is a semi-linear RPG set in the world of Arthanswold, on the mountain isle of Duan Rhod. You will assume the role of a young Ursine warrior as he or she undertakes the Dreaming, a coming of age rite in which young Ursines enter the spirit world of their ancestors to discover their destinies. There's no telling what wonders or horrors you may encounter in the spirit world, take your courage with you.

Dreamtime will contain some of the same game play elements you will be able to expect in Echoes of Twilight such as combat, questing, crafting, ritual/inherent magicks, companions, etc.Players will also get a good taste of our style, and the lore/histories of the Unwritten universe. It will just be on a much smaller scale with much lower production costs.

We will be posting more about Dreamtime in the coming weeks! We're really excited to be starting development on this project and we hope you guys are looking forward to a chance to play as an Ursine and dig into our universe to see what it's all about in ways we could never describe.

Unity would not be the best engine for the game they were hoping to make, and we don't need every kickstarter using it. Anyway the game still has a small hope of getting made. Here are the details for those that are to lazy to read the whole update.

I had a look at their Kickstarter and see the usual partially implemented Elder Scrolls type stuff that is popping up all over the place. If they are doing anything interesting, they are not explaining it very well; maybe you get to be a bear instead of a dwarf or something? But there's still a lot of guys with long pointy ears.

As to Unity, if you're going to fail, you might as well do it without spending 15k on a licence. And exactly what is it they want to do using Havok that couldn't be done in Unity?

I've yet to see any of these Elder Scrolls remake on a budget games even come out of the starting gate and they are poisoning the Kickstarter RPG space for other more realistic projects.

well, the game was cancelled (or virtually cancelled) http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1599677835/unwritten-that-which-happened
Author is issuing refunds.

That's actually a different game: Unwritten:That which happened, which (unlike the subject of this thread) *was* funded on Kickstarter, but the devs have now run out of cash and put in on the backburner, which likely means it will never see the light of day. A pity, because it had some good ideas - but like many projects was over ambitious for the funds obtained. As usual the devs were totally unrealistic about how long it was going to take to develop.

I backed "That which happened" and haven't asked for a refund - who knows you can be surprised sometimes, although it seems a long shot, right now.

That's actually a different game: Unwritten:That which happened, which (unlike the subject of this thread) *was* funded on Kickstarter, but the devs have now run out of cash and put in on the backburner, which likely means it will never see the light of day. A pity, because it had some good ideas - but like many projects was over ambitious for the funds obtained. As usual the devs were totally unrealistic about how long it was going to take to develop.

I backed "That which happened" and haven't asked for a refund - who knows you can be surprised sometimes, although it seems a long shot, right now.

Oh, I did a search for 'unwritten' and thought it was specific enough LOL, guess not.
I also backed it and haven't asked for a refund.

Back
Top Bottom