Ars Magica - Reaches the End

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
Ars Magica was not succesfull on Kickstarter with just 31% of the goal achieved. They will not try again either.
Sadly, this is not our hour.
First and foremost we want to thank each you, our patrons, for supporting our project. We didn't make it, but you all certainly fought for us. Your help, comments, advice and discussions brought this project closer to reality, and you have our gratitude and admiration. Atlas Games, too, brought every gun to bear, and were the ideal partner for this project.
We have heard the chorus of pleas for a second try, and we would like to, we would really like to. However, we cannot commit to it- our budget for speculative projects is small, and easily exceeded by the costs of a new campaign: after all, we somehow doubt you'd want to see the same video and screenshots again! ;)
There may come a time when we are able to create an Ars Magica game with your help, but we reluctantly believe it will not be soon. Which is a tremendous pity, because we believe gaming needs new, unique role-playing experiences, with original mechanics, stories and settings. But then, we've built a company around that idea. It's possible we're biased. ;)
Once again: thank you all for everything! It's been fun, educational and bittersweet, but it was an honor for the Team to work with you.
More information.

Seems a lot of the current second (or third?) wave projects are running into difficulties: This, Antharion, Shaker, Aaimie... Hero-U, Sui Generis, Beasts & Blades, Shadowgate all look like they may not make it either. There may be indvidual reasons in each case, but I think it's safe to say that it's still a trend. "Sir you are being hunted" is doing well though, so it's certainly not universal.

Seems a lot of the current second (or third?) wave projects are running into difficulties: This, Antharion, Shaker, Aaimie… Hero-U, Sui Generis, Beasts & Blades, Shadowgate all look like they may not make it either. There may be indvidual reasons in each case, but I think it's safe to say that it's still a trend. "Sir you are being hunted" is doing well though, so it's certainly not universal.

Large project (those asking over 100k in pledge) require news support to achieved their goals. "Sir you are being hunted" showed up everywhere on the press, while most of the others haven't had a lot of publicity.

Unfortunate that they can't see their way to trying again anytime soon, but I'd suppose this also means there's a chance for another developer to approach the Ars Magica folks to see about their own adaptation and quite possibly fare better.

Absolutely no reason why so much of the P&P world has to be relegated to "1 or none" as far as video game presence goes while D&D has enjoyed a broad swath over the years.

Possibly once KS programs like Project Eternity, Wasteland 2, and Star Citizen are released, they will be financially successful and there will be renewed interest. Until then, sadly, it's game over for most of these…

Last edited:
Oversaturation, probably.

Well, kinda… I personally think that people went on a binge for the first Kickstart wave (kid in a candy store scenarion) and weren't thinking about keeping some disposable cash in reserve for second and third wave.

My first Kickstarter I've backed that's failed. Sad. :(

Sounded like an interesting game, too. Shame they're not game for another go.

As that line in the famous movie goes - "Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn!"

I have done my best to completely ignore any thread which has Kickstarter in its title!! :)

Oversaturation, probably.
Or too many developers into the delusion that pitching a vague idea is enough for everyone.
It's not. If you don't have a strong track record proving what you are capable of, you need to show off a lot to catch people's attention and interest.

Or too many developers into the delusion that pitching a vague idea is enough for everyone.
It's not. If you don't have a strong track record proving what you are capable of, you need to show off a lot to catch people's attention and interest.

Probably a combination of the two :)

Back
Top Bottom