Skyrim Lost Lydia

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Corwin

On The Razorblade of Life
Staff Member
Am I screwed? Lydia and I were doing a dungeon quest. She was badly injured and I was out of healing potions. I dashed out of the dungeon to buy more, but when I returned Lydia wasn't there. I finished the quest and searched the entire dungeon, but no Lydia. There was no body either. So, I returned to Whiterun and checked both my house and Dragonreach. Still nothing. Any ideas about what may have happened and how I can get her back without restoring an early SG?

Companions sometimes get stuck behind locked doors and so on in dungeons, but if you've already searched the whole dungeon you were in, that's probably not the case. Maybe there's a console command to spawn her?

Followers usually spawn next to you when you enter a new area, so either she died and her body's missing, or she's bugged out. I've seen people saw they've seen her clip through things and get lost that way. Some have had her reappear sometime later. I think there's a console command to move an NPC to your location. I'd try that.

Ah, but what is that console command? I tried typing help (which sometimes works), but this time it didn't. I haven't seen that command in the wiki, but I'll check again.

All I can find now is the code to move you to an actor (moveto actorID) and the code to spawn a new one (placeatme actorID). I'm sure I saw a reference to just moving the existing character to you. Maybe it's another code that got removed at some point.

It looks like if you can get her RefID then you can use RefID.moveto player to summon her. I've not tried it, but it might be worth playing around with.

Last edited:
Use the console command player.moveto a2c94 to teleport to her location
Use the console command a2c94.moveto player to move her to your location.

If she's dead, loot her corpse, then open the console, click on her body, and then type resurrect. Once that's done you should probably type disable and enable on her too before asking her to join you. I'm not sure if this will mess up your marriage status with her or not though, so save 1st.

I had to go to the castle and get her back. There she sat, drinking her ale like nothing was wrong, and me, bleeding from the bashing I took after she deserted me. ;)

If she get stuck, like if you jump off an edge and run to the exit, she won't spawn when you change instance. She got stuck when I rushed out of Dragonsreach for instance.

Did you try sleep for a few hours?

They sometimes take as long as 3 days to come home in my experiences. I think this is tied to the time they will normally 'wait' someplace for you.

There is some good info on this on the Wiki as well.

One thing I haven't figured out is how they travel. Sometimes they seem to be able to fast travel and just show up at your/their home location, while I have also seen them run all the way. May be connected to events, as once after my marriage ceremony we stepped outside to a dragon attack. Afterwards, Lydia (who had come to the ceremony but was not active as a companion) simply took off running down the road and later she showed up back at my house in Whiterun...

Thanks to another site member who pointed this site...

You were lucky to lose her. Seems that I'm not the only one ranting about her AI and narrow passages (and doors):

cad-20111116-83046.png

Hilarious but stop picking on Lydia :) All the followers I use seems to suffer from "blocking the doorway" syndrome and there is a mod which removes her "I am sworn to carry your burdens" line.

One thing I haven't figured out is how they travel.
Yup. Sometimes they seems to walk huge distances, sometimes run and sometimes warp… When I dismiss follower I try to do it near the place where I have found them just in case I might need them back in a hurry.

Last edited:
Just in case no one realizes, if you run at someone it knocks them back. Useful for Lydia and guards who talk smack.

I had to go to the castle and get her back. There she sat, drinking her ale like nothing was wrong, and me, bleeding from the bashing I took after she deserted me. ;)

That's when I disarm my weapon and punch the NPC in the face. Just saying. :p

Thanks to another site member who pointed this site…

You were lucky to lose her. Seems that I'm not the only one ranting about her AI and narrow passages (and doors)

Use the "tcl" command. It's perfect to resolve this kind of frustration as well as getting unstuck from the scenery. It's an ES series "must" going, back to Morrowind.

In most cases, if you can walk just a bit further into a room your companion will follow you and unblock the doorway.

If she blocks me, I just use unrelenting force on her. She'll move and it pisses her off too.

Back
Top Bottom