Shroud of the Avatar - Post-Funding Update #37: More About Homes

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
An update was made for Shroud of the Avatar showing various houses that were designed for the game, including de houses that are available on one of the pledge levels and a house that you can buy for half its price. Although I don't see myself pay the $50 to own this house (or any other house) in the game, you might.... or not.

With this next house, we experimented with something that allowed for a larger variety of color, yet still appropriate for the time period and overall art style. This Viking Village home is a two-story dwelling, with a single large room downstairs and a wrap-around loft on the second floor:

Viking_Village_Home3.jpg

More information.

These guys are way too obsessed about the player housing aspect of the game.

Garriot the house developer....wow

So you single player Ultima fans that backed this feeling good about it? Each update makes it look worse and worse to me.

Garriot the house developer….wow

So you single player Ultima fans that backed this feeling good about it? Each update makes it look worse and worse to me.

I backed it at a very low price point because I was fairly certain it would turn out like this. No real disappointment here.

So you single player Ultima fans that backed this feeling good about it?
Nope. Never was to begin with, though. Basically what Sacred_Path said. These hilarious updates just confirm suspicions.

Maybe the joke's on us though, super important stuff is happening behind the scenes, and meanwhile their marketing guy is only allowed to talk about fluff like houses, female player models, and clothing. Somehow I doubt it, but we'll see.

Thes. guys are way too obsessed about the player housing aspect of the game.

Either that or The Almighty Dollar. As I recall, they were chargjng an arm and a leg for player housing in this game, which I believe was a cash cow for Garriott back in the UO days.

Yes, the house pictured in this update is being sold for $50 during the month of September, half-off from its normal $100 price!

I have seen nothing so far that would make me regret pulling my pledge on this one.

Now you can see that very few artists (who are working on Kickstarter projects) are on the level of those talented artists drawing Bloated Salaries(tm) on AAA projects working/slaving for publishers.

Little Kickstarter budgets mean mediocre artists doing bad art most of the time, that's why people are wondering why most KS 3D games look like crap. Not many top-notch 3D artist have been forced to work for KS-scraps when publishers offer them big money on big projects.

Now you can see that very few artists (who are working on Kickstarter projects) are on the level of those talented artists drawing Bloated Salaries(tm) on AAA projects working/slaving for publishers.

Little Kickstarter budgets mean mediocre artists doing bad art most of the time, that's why people are wondering why most KS 3D games look like crap. Not many top-notch 3D artist have been forced to work for KS-scraps when publishers offer them big money on big projects.

So? The look /art is the least of my problems with this title. It's also not been a problem of mine with any of the KS projects I have backed. But sure, yeah - there is a disparity in visual quality between even a > 1 M KS and a >20 M AAA title. You'd kinda hope there would be, no?

This certainly looks like the next Ultima...
te House Collecting Game!
Sorry for that awkward line-break! ;-)

Shouldn't pile the wood so close to the house. It's like a termite hotel!

That would be funny if virtual termites could destroy your virtual property that you payed decicively non-virtual amounts of money for. Of course I am sure in that case they would make sure you could buy a virtual insurance and a virtual bug-spray, or call the magical exterminator, for just a few extra $$$…

Last edited:

Termite protection is an extra $10/month charge. Also anyone hear that the real reason Garriot left Origin after selling it to EA was because they thought he was too greedy and that his ideas would make them look unfriendly towards consumers? That and something about being too focused on social and multiplayer gaming.

Looking purely on the design and art value aspects, the houses look good. Paying for them is a cash grab, but some people like these things.

I am hoping to see more single player rpg gameplay footage.

There was a video put out awhile back about dungeons and such, look for the rooster gameplay video. Yes, this may be an update that maybe won't interest some of you, but to say housing is all that there is so far is factually wrong.

What you do see in the Rooster video should make you at least see some good things, or not as the news post pointed out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wckfc-0WyPs

Back
Top Bottom