Boxed vs Download 2015 Edition

• Digital Games

Votes: 47 57.3%
  • Boxed Games

Votes: 13 15.9%
  • Depends I Buy Both

Votes: 22 26.8%

• Total voters
I'm not going to start an argument over this, let's just say that I don't agree with the seemingly basic view that it's necessarily is about prioritizing one thing over another.

pibbur who admittedly in 1 minute will prioritize gaming over spending time on the watch

Every action in life is necessarily giving priority to one thing over countless others. That's not my invention.

But I'm not saying what's right or wrong. I'm saying what I prefer to care about and invest in. There's no negative or positive label associated with that, unless it's in your own mind.

Long ago, I decided to invest in people and art over material things.

Art and material things are not mutually exclusive. I see several artistic objects in Pibbur's den.

Steam and other digital venues have always been second choice. Because they stopped filling the box with all kinds of goodies like maps, I don't miss it that much but like others, I do miss the time browsing the shops for bargains and treasures. Digital browsing isn't even fun, well, except for sales.

Eight kids later, I believe I am sufficiently invested in people thank you.

Digital, but with reservations.

A controlling platform like Steam, that amends my software as it sees fit, and could revoke my access at their discretion, is very unappealing to me. GOG is the model I favour, and hopefully their Galaxy platform will introduce the convenience of Steam for those that want that.

I also miss physical copies that actually came with nice manuals and maps, but I don't have much use for a pile of plastic cases containing DVDs that are often obsolete on day 1.

It's interesting that people feel judged because I state my personal preference :)

It's OK to not be me, you know.

BTW,

Did anyone buy the boxed version of Dragon Age Inquisition? What does it come with? I haven't got the game yet but it looked very tempting on the shelf.

I got it. :) You didn't miss much if you didn't end up picking it up. It's everything you get on Steam, only with a box to display. When we preordered, they told us that you couldn't get the box + the deluxe edition...only the standard edition came boxed.

Lame. >.>

It's interesting that people feel judged because I state my personal preference

It's interesting it bugs you when people answer the poll question and also answer your opening the door statement (I prefer to invest in people...)
You did make the statement,didn't you? I thought this was a forum?

It's interesting it bugs you when people answer the poll question and also answer your opening the door statement (I prefer to invest in people…)
You did make the statement,didn't you? I thought this was a forum?

Why would it bug me? I said it was interesting. But I didn't mean to make people respond in a defensive manner - as I don't think other people are wrong for not being me. I guess I set myself apart in that way.

People were talking about enjoying purely material things - like objects in Collector's Editions or the actual physical boxes - and I simply said I didn't invest much in such things and that I prefer to invest in people and art.

That's just an opinion, nothing more. I thought this was a forum?

Eight kids later, I believe I am sufficiently invested in people thank you.

You are a brave, brave soul. :salute: I more than have my hands full with just two kids.

TBH though, the only thing I really miss about boxes are the manuals, maps and other goodies. I know I still have a zorkmid lying around somewhere; I really need to find it!

The advantages of digital distribution are just far too overwhelming these days. Autopatching, ease of installation, convenience/not having to rely on a brick and mortar store with limited inventory, etc etc.

Not to mention prices. Chances are any game you are interested in will go on sale within a few months to a year, often times by 50% or more. This just didn't happen that much back when box copies were the only option.

Last edited:
I might have taken boxed if shipping was more reliable here or there was a store I could get games at release without much hassle for the same price as the digital version.

But for now I only buy boxed copies if there is really something for me in it. Like a CE with a cloth map or something similar.

Still the best CE I bought so far is Drakensang: River of Time:

drakensang-map.jpg

Isn’t it the same thing these days? You can hardly buy a boxed game without it just being a steam key in a box. Personally I prefer digital, but I’m fortunately enough to live in a place with fast internet. I do however think that it’s a shame that people in slow internet zones don’t get a choice, and have to spend literally days downloading and installing a game, that they bought in a store.

I prefer collector's edition boxes for games which I think it will worth it. For example in 2014 and 2015 I bought (nearly all of them from Kickstarters) collector's edition of M&M10, Wasteland 2, Divinity Original Sin, Lords of Xulima, Bloodborne and Pillars of Eternity. For all other games I bought digital editions.

Digital all the way and I don't/won't own a console so no threat of boxes/plastic containers there. I was so happy when digital started to dominate and I no longer had to put discs in drives or deal with draconian DRM nonsense.

At one point, when I was single, I had game boxes plastered all over my apartment walls. I collected RPGs too - many just to read the manuals (and wrote my own sci fi RPG that friends played and liked at one point). Piles of manuals and boxes. When I got married I put all the discs in soft cover binders and kept only the manuals....and now I've tossed most of those since the games are so old. I think I tossed all those RPG boxes which is sad since most have long since ceased to exist. I can't remember the last time I actually had a disc in my DVD drive for a game - probably a few PCs ago.

I didn't care for Steam at first and used to buy anywhere but Steam, but I finally came to my senses and now Steam is my preferred source - everything in one place with less hassle and their service (the game downloading/management, certainly not their customer support, toxic idiot filled forums, or return policies) are the best.

I usually buy digital but when there's a major title I'm really keen for (and I can get a boxed version at release) I'll go for it. I like the boxed version to be more than just a DVD and flimsy game manual. If that's all that's on offer, I'll stick to the digital version. Waiting for my PoE boxed edition...but that will stil be some time sadly. 4 hours to unlock (I think :p

I got it. :) You didn't miss much if you didn't end up picking it up. It's everything you get on Steam, only with a box to display. When we preordered, they told us that you couldn't get the box + the deluxe edition…only the standard edition came boxed.

Lame. >.>

Nope, I have not picked up the game yet -It's still 60 bucks.

But you do mean Origin or Uplay or something else right?

So just what did you get from that platform? Digital manual and digital map?

Digital DRM-free as preferred choice for me.

I might have taken boxed if shipping was more reliable here or there was a store I could get games at release without much hassle for the same price as the digital version.

But for now I only buy boxed copies if there is really something for me in it. Like a CE with a cloth map or something similar.

Still the best CE I bought so far is Drakensang: River of Time:

drakensang-map.jpg

Nice.

Just curious, what is the size of that map? It's hard to get a sense of scale just from that picture.

Back
Top Bottom