Fallout 3 - Official Forums Open

Yep, saw that, but I'd rather you did that than we miss something, and I'm sure Dhruin agrees. Thanks anyway.

Looks like a visually clean forum set-up, anyway(unlike the javascript chaos that is Bioware) and they have some interesting threads going already.

They also give a nice link to wikipedia in the forum rules that tells you everything you ever wanted to know about the origin of the term 'troll". :)

first few comments are showing a few fights between Oblivion fanbois and old Fallout fans.

There is one thread of a list that players don't want the game to have and it gets pretty self-righteous about what "true" fans and "true" gamers want. Some of the things like not having the poor Levelling system in Oblivion are obscured in the long list of things that would never happen such as Turn Based Combat and only have 3rd Person views. I'm afraid some of the things that need to be fixed from Oblivion are not going to happen with this unconstructive talk.

I had pretty good hopes for this game feeling such that any of the worst problems such as that would get fixed pretty quickly by modders. Beth is used to building games just autogenerate in order to create the illusion of depth. Its the same reason I don't play roguelikes. Wizardry and Ultima cured me of randomess such was found on the TI's Tunnels of Doom and the Intellivion D&D.

However, my friend Scratx pointed out that three things will get modded and fast with Fallout 3 if it came with a toolset

1) Turnbased combat
2) Nudity
3) Kill everything including children

I commented that he was not only right but it would be done evangelically. I might also add that a lot of Vulgar dialogue would be added as well. Any feature I'd want would likely have any or all of that garbage strung along with it.

I'm not not fearing the game OOB as much as the modding of it to make it unplayable. Hot Coffee will have nothing on this poor game. It ill be nearly impossible to sift through the chaff for wheat especially if improtant mods get combined together.

You forgot making everything in 3rd person only, and the opportunities for sex and drugs. It wouldn't be a genuine FO without those as well!! :)

Official site is under fallout.bethsoft.com but no content besides this E3 2005 poster.

I guess it's about time. Let's just hope that the devs will actually read the posts there from time to time, and that the forums won't turn into a total flame war...

Anyway, one comment on that forum made me laugh pretty hard:

"Yes, an intelligent mans game play flows from good games . But beware of Oblivion. Bad level scaling, linear combat, and bad interfaces. Bad, are they. Easily they flow, quick to be added to make a sale. If once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny. Consume you, it will... as it did the Elder Scrolls."

I guess it's about time. Let's just hope that the devs will actually read the posts there from time to time, and that the forums won't turn into a total flame war...

Anyway, one comment on that forum made me laugh pretty hard:

"Yes, an intelligent mans game play flows from good games . But beware of Oblivion. Bad level scaling, linear combat, and bad interfaces. Bad, are they. Easily they flow, quick to be added to make a sale. If once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny. Consume you, it will... as it did the Elder Scrolls."

a tear came into my eyes... it so beautiful and true

However, my friend Scratx pointed out that three things will get modded and fast with Fallout 3 if it came with a toolset

1) Turnbased combat
2) Nudity
3) Kill everything including children

I commented that he was not only right but it would be done evangelically. I might also add that a lot of Vulgar dialogue would be added as well. Any feature I'd want would likely have any or all of that garbage strung along with it.

I'm not not fearing the game OOB as much as the modding of it to make it unplayable.
Well I would be thrilled if number 1 were modded well.

Your comment about mods being bundled with "garbage" certainly doesn't apply to the modding Oblivion had, which made the game significantly more enjoyable.

And the last bit: I don't know if you knew this, but you're not actually obligated to use mods, any mods. So fear not! if you're convinced the expected mods are going to ruin everything, how about not using them?

Turnbased combat is something likely rooted too deep within the engine mechanics to be simply modded, at least in a decent way. It would not be possible to mod decent turn-based gameplay into MW or Oblivion with the tools provided (although amazing things have been done with script extenders etc.). Workarounds and something resembling round based combat may be possible eventually by modding, but for truly satisfying turn based combat, either Bethesda does it, or it's not gonna happen

I don't think that the moderators will let it get too hectic.

I think this forum will be a good thing, if everyone keeps bombarding them with the fact that we want it as close to the original 2 games as possible then perhaps we will get some more features to creep into FO3 that we might have not otherwise got.

Make sure you vote on the poll that says we don't want level scaling (at least not the same level scaling as Oblivion).

You forgot making everything in 3rd person only, and the opportunities for sex and drugs. It wouldn't be a genuine FO without those as well!!

I don't want sex and drugs in the game. It just makes the thing sick. I'm surprised you'd want that Corwin.

I was hoping Beth had the presence of mind to add filters at least the way that Black Isle did because of the hassle Steve Jackson gave them.

Nudity and drugs were well modded into morrowind allready. Nude mod even came with two versions: adult one (with) and teenage one (and without pubic hair). The quality of the mod was very high.

which proves my point of the problems of modders

Well I would be thrilled if number 1 were modded well.

Your comment about mods being bundled with "garbage" certainly doesn't apply to the modding Oblivion had, which made the game significantly more enjoyable.

And the last bit: I don't know if you knew this, but you're not actually obligated to use mods, any mods. So fear not! if you're convinced the expected mods are going to ruin everything, how about not using them?

can't disagree with you on number 1. I was just making a point.

the Oblivion bundled mods are good. Its just I'm not expecting any Fallout bundled mods to be any good. the CO8 mod for ToEE for example comes bundled with stupidity I don't want.

And my point about modding..I don't expect FO3 to be playable without modding. Oblivion wasn't..and to a degree neither is NWN (the HCR was developed to fix a number of shortcomings the game had).

Turnbased combat is something likely rooted too deep within the engine mechanics to be simply modded, at least in a decent way. It would not be possible to mod decent turn-based gameplay into MW or Oblivion with the tools provided (although amazing things have been done with script extenders etc.). Workarounds and something resembling round based combat may be possible eventually by modding, but for truly satisfying turn based combat, either Bethesda does it, or it's not gonna happen

yes, I can't see it being easily modified without really getting into the guts of the thing. the closest I could see possible is some pause and play.

Oblivion will give us one thing, but I'm concerned that modders are going to turn the thing into GTA.

---

The moderators there are going to have their hands full and really its not the kind of community they are used to dealing with, at least lately.

Last edited:
I don't want sex and drugs in the game. It just makes the thing sick. I'm surprised you'd want that Corwin.

These things could be found in the original Fallouts, so why not? And I did not have the feeling that FO1 and 2 were sick (well, actually they were, but in a very entertaining sense).

Back
Top Bottom