Whats your favorite Gothic?

• Gothic 1

Votes: 22 46.8%
  • Gothic 2

Votes: 22 46.8%
  • Gothic 3

Votes: 3 6.4%

• Total voters
Gothic 1, because it has the better story + a consistent game world with the magic barrier ( which explains why there's no children nor women ) + better atmosphere.
With Gothic 2 a close second.
Gothic 3 is beautiful, but the story is not right IMO ( beginning with enough power to kill orcs but being to weak to kill boars, etc ... ).
Oh and did I mentioned the teleport stones lying on the ground ( not integrated into the story ) ?!
And old discussion, I know.

Last edited:
Ianael.... first welcome to the forums

now... if you want to play G3 properly you should use the community patches... boars are no longer a problem... any hundreds of bugs are fixed... you can get it on the JW forums...

Fear not because I enjoyed G3 until the end with no patches at all ( a few days after its release ).
Please re-read my post : What I say is that even perfectly balanced, G3, IMHO, has severe problems *story*-wise.
I was just answering the question in the thread title.

Gothic 3 is beautiful, but the story is not right IMO ( beginning with enough power to kill orcs but being to weak to kill boars, etc ... ).
Oh and did I mentioned the teleport stones lying on the ground ( not integrated into the story ) ?!
And old discussion, I know.

I know what you mean -> It feels like orcs are weak now, while in the other Gothics they were much stronger then most animals.
About the teleport stones: It would have better that you received it by doing some quest of that specific city or perhaps after a certain amount of respect (like when you got to 50%, you can get one from the (castle)gatekeeper)

Gothic 1, it was new and it was great. and also I find it better storywise too
G2 was great too, but was more of the same (a bit)
G3 nice game to play had it flaws but still a little gem (but the other where huge diamonts ;))

1. "The" Gothic
2. Gothic 2 with addon
3. Gothic 3
4. With a fanatic look? Oh yes and i'm not sorry about it ;) Since the first Gothic i was pretty much addicted to games like it and i still am.

G2.

Played it before part 1, true, but like you said they kept the good stuff - and improved the rest.

Gothic 2 had improved gameplay/controls with a much bigger world, while Gothic 1 had a far more interesting story and atmosphere (as far as I'm concerned). The Sleeper > Dragons.

I have to agree with lamb, because, in gothic 1 you don't have a clue of what is going on and only pretty late in the game you get all the clues.
In g2 you know from the beginning: I have to go and kill the dragons.

...unless you played G2 before and knew how it would end. :)

I think it really depends on which you played first.
"More of the same" does not make the game itself worse... it just *feels* less exciting. Kinda like with women, lol

G3 was the first I brought. I've got my eye on Gothic Universe though.

G1 was the most innovative, G2 the most developed (but with a less interesting storyline than G1), and G3 is probably the version I've sunk the most hours into even if it is very unpolished. For me personally G3 is better at one thing, it eliminates the need to "lawnmow" the map for experience since LP are available in such abundance, and you dont have to artificially plan when to drink that stat boosting potion as in G1/G2... But it lost the dialogue and NPCs that made the previous games stand out.

it eliminates the need to "lawnmow" the map for experience

I still do that, so I could have a really high level character. It eliminates some of the replayability when the gameworld is so big a the one of Gothic 3. Oblivion and other elder scrolls RPG's have the same problem imo. Oblivion may have a good story, but it's just to big + quests tend to let you run around.

Sometimes I envy those who have a linguistic talent, but then I wonder if those people envy those with a more mathematical talent.

I do, but that's a different story.

I have kind of difficulties with maths, seems to be a slight form of ... What's the English name ? Dyscalculia ? (According to Wikipedia.)

I absolutely loved Gothic I, am having a hard time getting through Gothic II although its still got the "open" game feeling that is great, and dont have nearly the system to run Gothic III properly (although I bought it and gave it the old college try) so I cant really say anything about that. So my vote had to go to Gothic I for now

G1 as old camp/mage
G1 as a merc
G2 as a mage
G2 NOTR as a mage
G1 as a pot head swamp camp kook
G3

now that's something new you got the Uriziel :))

Back
Top Bottom