Scars of War - Reinforcements Arrive

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Another Scars of War update...this is almost getting to be a habit. Gareth writes that a second artist has joined the team. Here's a partial snip and head over for some new renders:
(Make sure to read the title while doing the ‘Command and Conquer’ voice in your head.)
Thought it worth mentioning that the Scars of War team is now up to two (2) artists! Woot. This ‘not doing everything myself’ concept is getting more and more appealing, the older and less stupid I get, I’m telling you. You laugh, but one of the downsides to having a positive, ‘I can do anything I put my mind to’ attitudes is a belief that you can just ‘step in’ to any roles you’re missing in a game dev team.
I’ve come to realize that, regardless of whether I could actually learn any/all of the various disciplines’ skills, the time required to do so and do it well is just…unfeasible (Yes, ok, that’s probably pretty obvious to most of you, shutit). Doing art, I’m not coding. Coding, I’m not writing/designing adventures. Writing, I’m not interacting with the community (posting on forums/blogging).
Apparently they are looking for more contributors, by the way.
More information.

Anything that moves this project along is great news.

Good news I have been watching this game for a while and cant wait till there finished.

And over here Brigadon shows what I think is the first render of a monster model we have seen for Scars of War.

Heh, well, it's actually a magically mutated, domesticated beastie called a Loom Spider, rare, expensive and highly prized for its ability to produce incredibly tough silk for garments. Somewhat like we keep/breed cows and honey bees IRL. And little threat to anything except dogs and possibly very young children, should one escape its handlers.

But yes, a monster. ;)

Brian wanted to do an organic after spending 2 weeks on that carriage, so the spider seemed like a good place to start. I'd say he did pretty well. :)

Heh, well, it's actually a magically mutated, domesticated beastie called a Loom Spider, rare, expensive and highly prized for its ability to produce incredibly tough silk for garments. Somewhat like we keep/breed cows and honey bees IRL. And little threat to anything except dogs and possibly very young children, should one escape its handlers.
You jest. I know plenty of grown folk that will instantly die from heart attack at the mere sight of such a thing. :)

Yes, I loath spiders, myself.

That's kind of why they're in the game (I'm avoiding most fantasy cliche creatures, I decided to make an exception here). That, and I thought it would be amusing to reverse the trope of fighting giant spiders in dungeons. These are extremely valuable produce animals. And would in fact die without human support.

They're weaving spiders, not hunters, but there isn't any flying thing big enough to get stuck in their webs and feed on. Not only that, they suck at weaving (like those spiders on drugs videos, seen those?), their silk isn't amazingly sticky and a lot of the time they produce silk in clumps, unattached to anything, leaving it lying around in piles. In the same way that modern cows get fed chemicals to keep them in a psuedo-pregnant state so they can be milked, the spiders just keep spinning unnecessary silk. It's great for the handlers who feed the stuff into the looms, but the spiders would starve to death in the wild. They're dependent on their handlers to feed them.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom