gothic 2 night of the raven on a laptop

cptmaxon

Watchdog
hi I'm trying to run gothic 2 night of the raven on my laptop, but it won't run:( I mean I can install it just fine but it won't start the game, I don't even get an error message:(,anyone here encountered a simliar problem?

my laptop
2 mhz turion 64
1gb of memory
radeon xpress 200m with 128mb
80gb of harddrive...
and xp home edition

I hope you guys can help I'm stack away from my desktop for about a month and I really felt like playing some gothic:(

I'll assume that you have the latest version (v2.6) installed right? If so then you could try the VDFS fix that is offered here at WoG. It's supposed to help with Gothic II launch problems (when the virtual file system does not get initialized correctly).

What anti-virus are you using? I've had your same problem when using certain AV's.

Try going in msconfig and totally disabling the AV from starting up* and see if the game will then play.

*just disabling the running AV services you can see in task manager will not always stop all the AV processes. But you can try disabling the ones in task manager, one by one, and see how it affects the game startup before having to bother in msconfig.

I'm using kaspersky, I'll try to do what you are saying...

Also make sure you are not downloading anything at the same time, gothic 2 requires a lot of file handles to start up (this is why AV software stops it from working as well I believe). You should pretty much stop anything that locks files.

it didn't work:(

no I haven't tried gothic 2 alone, i guess I could try that first and then install NOTR

nope gothic 2 minus NOTR still doesn't run, it just does as notr does takes about 98% of my processor capacity and then just sits there, i don't even get an error message its just annoying

The first load-up can take several minutes, try starting the game and watching something on tv, take something to drink,... Come back 20 mins later and if it's still not loaded then you have a problem !

I have a problem

Hmmm ... I have certainly played G2 on 'lesser' laptops than that ... not sure where it is dying out.

the whole thing started because I'm away from my pc, but yes I uninstalled gothic 2with notr and then reinstalled gothic 2 alone, both didn't work without even some sort of error message...
man the things I do for love

Last edited:
alright, kasparskey was the reason I couldn't get gothic 2 to work, I changed it to macfee and now everything works fine , yay
it's amazing I actully missed th journal sounds:)

Good thin you have it running again. It keeps your need for 'a better' game (Gothic 3 didn't fill in imo compared to this and the first one) down.

I agree 100%, the first 2 Gothic games were much better.

Although I must admit, I'm starting to like Gothic 3 the more I play it.

Back
Top Bottom