RPGWatch - Donations

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
As you might know RPGWatch is a site made by volunteers who invest their time and money into bringing you as much RPG information as possible and provide a place to discuss RPGs (and whatever else you like to discuss).
Our ads income are minimal and the operating costs for RPGWatch are not getting any less so we decided to open up a donations page where we ask you our visitors for a voluntary contribution. The link to this page can be found at the top of every page (a bit below the ads banner). On that page we give some more background information and the option to donate if you like. Alternatively you can also click this link to reach that page.
More information.

No "please" or "thank you" in that news post? :)

The thank you message is sent to you after the donation ;)

And the "please" is implied by Myrthos' submissive attitude. ;)

Donation sent. :)

Long live RPG Watch!

Cheers!

If I had a job and wasn't still looking, I would defintely support this site
anyways keep up the good work

That should be ok. Some of us have a solid stable income, others don't for several reasons. As member of the former category, I'd happily donate/pay on a regular basis.

Actually this is a principle in communism (which never worked): "Provide what you can, receive what you need". Hah!

Last edited:
As a student I have almost no money at all, but I sent a really small donation.

Thanks all for making the donations.
If you want to be specifically listed as donor in the forums and the donation page, you have to specify it when making the donation. If you forgot send me a PM.

I am woundering about something... how come the server costs are that high? I am just woundering because I am paying 12 euro / year for hosting my website, that includes 3000 MB , daily data backups/spam filter emails, unlimited traffick, mysql setup.... etc etc etc. should I need 25 GB the cost would raise to 50 euro year.... is RPGWatch really that much bigger than 25GB ?

Unlimited traffic is only unlimited until you hit your provider's secret internal limit. ;) Plus reliability and speed are also important.

RPGWatch is no small site anymore. It would even be possible to apply benchmarks which would make us look big. For example "Sites dealing with western RPGs on the PC platform in English language". ;) We are easily twice as big as RPGDot was at its peak. I've talked some numbers with a couple of fellow editors at an event. Let's just say I was quite surprised how good our UUs/PIs are looking compared to well-known professional sites in Germany.
Web hosting is relatively cheap nowadays. RPGDot as a non-commercial site of this size would have been hardly possible, due to the immense costs. Several times of what RPGWatch costs.

RPGWatch has long been my single favourite RPG news site, predating even their relentless promotion of my own indie project. Donation away!

I am woundering about something… how come the server costs are that high?
We are on a dedicated server. Our costs are not that high for a dedicated server. Having a dedicated server allows us to do more than what is normally possible. I had to change the configuration settings for PHP and mySQL to get everything running as needed, to name an example.
We pay 62.50 Euros a month for the server. As the competition increases, dedicated servers are a bit cheaper now, but I have to wait until the current contract expires in the second half of the year before moving everything to a new server.

We have over 3 million page views a month, but our server is not maxed out. We use more than 100GB a month, but are rarely above 200GB (our limit is 2TB).
When on a hosted server it is possible that somebody else maxes the server out making the experience for our visitor annoying, which is another reason why we are on a dedicated server.

Last edited:
If you are on a dedicated server that's quite cheap. I guess the Watch is a loot bigger than I thought :) which is great news!

However the cloud might be something to look into... as you pay for how much you use but never have to worry about slowdowns in the user experiance or similiar.

I would like to thank you all very much for your donations.
Within just a few days nearly all of the costs of 2010 have been met, incredible.
My husband and I were happily surprised by your generosity.
It's heartwarming, it's encouraging.

Money is important of course but RPGWatch would have been nothing without so much time spent by you, readers, forum contributors, team members and people backstage. I do hope that in the years to come RPGWatch will remain the place you frequent to have your coffee break, a tea or two, a drink or maybe even a meal, while reading or writing about RPG games and other important things in life.

Thank you.

She usually is better with words than I am and in this case its not different. I completely agree with her.

I would like to thank you all very much for your donations.
Within just a few days nearly all of the costs of 2010 have been met, incredible.
My husband and I were happily surprised by your generosity.
It's heartwarming, it's encouraging.

Money is important of course but RPGWatch would have been nothing without so much time spent by you, readers, forum contributors, team members and people backstage. I do hope that in the years to come RPGWatch will remain the place you frequent to have your coffee break, a tea or two, a drink or maybe even a meal, while reading or writing about RPG games and other important things in life.

Thank you.

I like your avatar :D

It's nice to meet you and after I put some more money in my credit card I'll help out as well. I went a little nuts with those Steam Christmas sales. They were too good to pass up, but unfortunately my credit is maxed out now. I think that was their plan all along ;)

Anyways, this is one great site you and your husband have setup. Thanks for stopping in and saying hi.

She usually is better with words than I am and in this case its not different. I completely agree with her.

That is normally the case. At least it is with me and Sarah. She is the level headed one and I'm the one pounding my fists on my chests and making ape noises ;)

Donation done -

Nice to meet you on the boards Mrs. Myrthos!

Back
Top Bottom