Valkyria Chronicles - Looking Back @ EuroGamer

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Last edited:
WTF? Did EuroGamer play anything ever that isn't on console?
If it was a finest game, it would have been on PC in the same or next year, not after a decade. Or something.

I'm preloading it right now on Steam, expecting a bit better than mediocre game. Maybe it does surprise me, but I won't hold my breath. Perhaps is a finest console game, but on PC… I just wish I won't be saying "meh" too much.

Will definetly bump some impressions in a few days after I play it.

Good to see PC elitism is good and well on this site. :) Although, I would think that the game is better played with a gamepad and on a big television screen (which my PC is connected to ;)).

Errr… Not having Planescape Torment on consoles is called PC elitism?
I thought it's called RL.

Dunno how it's played, I won't connect my PC on TV, hopefully FPS is not locked on some silly low number.
I'm waiting for xmas sales to get me a g-sync monitor with the module.

I don't know if VC is one of the best games of its generation, and I certainly don't want to rank games in different genres. But in terms of how through and through the gaming experience is, nothing come close. VC has excelled in everything: story, music, different gameplay (it is rich both as a RPG and as a strategy game), puzzles, humor…. So of course your mileage will vary in terms of your preference in each of these elements of the gaming experience, but to these days no other game has reached the level of completeness of VC.

Then again, I did have more fun with D:OS, Eador, or in the past with Planescape: Torment (just to mention some). And yet, VC has carved an indelible place in my list of all time favorites.

What is this game called Eador, sounds interesting? but I never heard about it, is it based on a book series ?

Valkyria Chronicles is an excellent game, regardless of platform. I don't even know why anybody would say you need a controller to play, it's a turn based game so mouse+KB should be just fine for everything.

What is this game called Eador, sounds interesting? but I never heard about it, is it based on a book series ?

Eador is a Russian turn-based strategy game, and it's a lot like Heroes of Might and Magic. :)

I wasn't personally super impressed with it, but it's got a significant cult following. Maybe I'm just being unfair and I need to give it time, or something. ^.^

http://www.gog.com/game/eador_genesis

And Valkyria Chronicles is absolutely a solid game. This isn't some cheapie indie that only excels in one department. VC is truly an achievement, and I'm not the only one saying it. Have a little faith, Joxer…you may be pleasantly surprised. :)

Last edited:
Valkyria Chronicles is an excellent game, regardless of platform. I don't even know why anybody would say you need a controller to play, it's a turn based game so mouse+KB should be just fine for everything.

You certainly won't need a controller, but I would prefer it as I know the game on PS3. :)

WTF? Did EuroGamer play anything ever that isn't on console?
If it was a finest game, it would have been on PC in the same or next year, not after a decade. Or something.

I'm preloading it right now on Steam, expecting a bit better than mediocre game. Maybe it does surprise me, but I won't hold my breath. Perhaps is a finest console game, but on PC… I just wish I won't be saying "meh" too much.

Will definetly bump some impressions in a few days after I play it.

That's just silly....I'm playing the last of us on the PS4 right now...and it is an excellent game that has not ever came to PC's.

A wonderful game back in the day, I still have my Ps3 copy. Never got around to play the PsP sequel though. The third one never got localized, maybe if this one does well?

I should have addressed this earlier, but I'm only doing so now -

That's a low blow, don't you think? There's so many truly excellent games that haven't made it to PC for whatever reason. So many. I've been considering writing an article on Dragon's Dogma - an amazing RPG that hasn't gotten its PC debut yet.

We PC gamers are lucky to have Valkyria Chronicles coming to us, and I think that's worth celebrating. It's unfair to say that if a game was worth anything, it would be on PC, because so many developers are way too short-sighted (or short-budgeted) to port excellent, deserving titles to PC.

Have a little faith, Joxer…you may be pleasantly surprised. :)
Actually I already am.
According to Steam, it's not dubbed-only perversion but the installation includes japanese voices option with english subtitles. :D
Just as I watch anime only if subbed, I'll use it here too!!!

First plus from me, before I even tried the game.
I'm a completely mad person, right? ;)

That's a low blow, don't you think? There's so many truly excellent games that haven't made it to PC for whatever reason. So many.
It's not a low blow.
1. If they thought it'll sell on PC, they'd have made it also on PC
2. If they knew it'll sell, but decided not to earn money from PC sales, sorry, but IMO they're complete idiots and should start searching for jobs somewhere else
3. If they didn't have enough cash for development but were forced to take the money from Sony, Sega or M$ and sign a contract to make the game an exclusive for a certain console, we need something like an antitrust law to deal with that travesty or they need to sign max one year of one platform exclusivity
4. Finally, where's a console emulator for these superold games ports? Nowhere? And I'm playing fresh phonegames without a glitch on Android emulator lately (Bluestacks), some are released yesterday.

Yea, I'm mad. But will continue with low blows when it comes to so called exclusives that are gathering dust for no reason other than a stupidity of publishers.

Last edited:
Well, I am in agreement with your anger and resentment, at least. So many of these games don't deserve the dust they gather, especially not when PC fans would be every bit as appreciative (sometimes more so) than the often-fickle console audience they cater to. And I think so often, publishers have this illusion that they'll make more money from a console release. Like that Destiny crap. I have no idea what that's all about.

Regardless, I hope you love every second of VC. :)

If someone were to call this one of their all-time favorites of last-gen, I really couldn't argue with them. It's pure quality, whether you like this kind of game or not. I have games I enjoyed more, simply because this genre of games is not my favorite, but if you are a fan of tactics RPGs, like Fire Emblem, FF Tactics, or Tactics Ogre, then this is a pretty fantastic game with few peers in the last gen of games. And if you like anime, well then that pretty much puts this one on a pedestal by itself as the anime cut-scenes and artwork are amazing.

Eador happens to be in the latest bundle over at Bundle Stars

Eador Genesis is the original version, and Eador: Masters of the Broken World is a more modern remake of the same game. They're both included in that bundle.

I've only played MotBW, but I didn't stick with it for long. Like Aubrielle, I wasn't very impressed.

Eador happens to be in the latest bundle over at Bundle Stars

Eador Genesis is the original version, and Eador: Masters of the Broken World is a more modern remake of the same game. They're both included in that bundle.

I've only played MotBW, but I didn't stick with it for long. Like Aubrielle, I wasn't very impressed.

It's quite good....just that it can get repetitive as you go thru the shards....but it is a neat concept that they keep updating.

It's quite good….just that it can get repetitive as you go thru the shards….but it is a neat concept that they keep updating.

Yeah, it seemed pretty grindy at times. My main problem though is how incredibly slow-paced the game is even for a strategy game. That's just my personal taste though and not a knock against the game.

PC doesn't get all the good games by any stretch of the imagination. 2 of my top 3 games of all time are console exclusives. The work required for a unified platform is a million times easier than multiple OS' and an infinite number of hardware combinations. Don't get me wrong, if I have a choice between PC and console I'll grab the PC version (mods!), but discounting all non PC games as garbage is delusional.

Back
Top Bottom