First computer you used to play games

My first computer was an Atari 800. Loved that thing. Played River Raid and Blue Max and tons of other games. Then we got a super-awesome 5.25" disk drive and I started writing text adventures after I got Zork and all the other Infocom games.

Then I got an Atari 520st. Loved that too - after upgrading to the 1040 (with 1 MEGABYTE of memory .... ON BOARD!), I played the crap outta Ultima II, Ultima IV, and my all-time favourite - Sundog. Well, Sundog and Ultima IV were probably tied.

I'm not sure what was the name of the computer.
I think it was a GE MARK I in 1980. No screen just a teletype. One of the games that I played was a Lunar Lander type.
My first computer was a ZX-Spectrum 16K.

commodore 64

actually an apple 2 at school somewhat

but at home a commodore 64 and possibly ultima 3 definitely 4 and the phantasie aand some of the gold box games.

Commodore 64 then Commodore 128D

Atari 800 then Apple IIc then Apple IIGS

First PC was custom built probably in 1989 (could have been 90):
286 cpu
640K RAM with 384k extended memory (which I never got to work)
20mb HDD (that's megabyte)
13 or 14 inch monitor (EGA I believe but might have been VGA)
Keyboard
DR-DOS
No mouse, no video card, no sound card, no modem

All of that for the low low price of about $1,700 US dollars.

my first pc was also a 286 lunchbox.

I played the later gold box games on it too. the gold box games were way more playable on a pc.

I remember saving every last coin I could get to buy a Commodore 64.
Bought the machine and my first crpg, Legacy of the Ancients together, and that started my lifelong RPG addiction.

the gold box games were way more playable on a pc.

More playable on PC - than on what? Amiga? Superior version.

Oh, and, uhm… Timex (ZX Spectrum) 48K. After years of reading about it :)
If somebody told me then that one day I`ll have everything ever released for this machine on a tiny fraction of a "hard drive - I probably wouldn`t believe…

Okay, my turn then. We got a Commodore 64 when I was about 6 or 7 years old, but unfortunately, I didn't play RPGs until much later on the PC (which came after—always wanted an Amiga 500, but the dream never came true). Did some simple programming in BASIC and ripping assembly code from demos in the years after that, which probably played a key role in my choosing to get into the IT industry.

What games did I play? Summer Games, Winter Games, The Great Giana Sisters, Skate Or Die, Commando, Green Baret, Decathlon, Combat School, The Last Ninja, Defender of the Crown, stuff like that. I only learned that games like Ultima existed for C64 until years later. :(

I remember saving every last coin I could get to buy a Commodore 64.
Bought the machine and my first crpg, Legacy of the Ancients together, and that started my lifelong RPG addiction.

Oh! I was trying to remember this game, but I forgot the name. I played a lot of this, too. So I guess there *were* some RPGs then, after all. Awesome game, I still remember walking down those halls with the screens on the wall, but I'm not sure if I really understood much of the game. :)

Last edited:
Commodore 64, then various PCs. Eventually I got one with a *turbo button*! It pumped up the CPU from 75 to 90 MHz or some such thing. The worst part is: It was actually needed, as some games were too fast in turbo mode (no speed settings), so the whole thing looked like a Benny Hill chase.

More playable on PC - than on what? Amiga? Superior version.

Oh, and, uhm… Timex (ZX Spectrum) 48K. After years of reading about it :)
If somebody told me then that one day I`ll have everything ever released for this machine on a tiny fraction of a "hard drive - I probably wouldn`t believe…

no on pc instead of commodore 64

For what it matters the commodore 64 version was better than the apple 2 plus version.

By the time they were done with the gold box games they were pc native but they started out apple 2 plus native.

I never had an amiga or st but im sure they made some for those too.

There were a lot of gold box games something like 20 I bet

Back
Top Bottom