Post-apocalyptia?

Menigal

Extractor of Madness
I'm on a bit of a post-apocalyptic kick at the moment, and might even use that for a NaNoWriMo starting point next month, and trying to find a game to scratch the itch. The wastelands of New Vegas are a bit too familiar now to really do it.

There's always the older Fallouts, and I bought Metro 2033 recently, but I'd like to see what else is out there. I'd prefer something that's RPGish or simulatory rather than a shooter (a city-builder type game would be great!), but there doesn't seem to be much on offer. The CRPG Addict's touched on a few lately, but they seem a bit too old school for me.

Any suggestions? Indie games? Small productions that slipped through the cracks?

There's really not much unfortunately:

Fallen Earth MMO
The Fall: Last Days of Gaia (extremely difficult to get if you are in North America)
Stalker (somewhat RPG'ish)

Desert Law

Darkwind: War on Wheels

Afterfall (Will be released soon…..I think)

Gorky 17 Passed this one a long time ago. Was a fun game. A little short IIRC.

Hard Truck Apocalypse - Meh. Was expecting better.

Hard Truck Apocalypse Rise of the Clans - Still meh.

Fort Zombie - You didn't specify regular old apocalypse or zompocalypse :)

Dead Island - Another Zompocalypse. Lots of fun despite the reviews.

There are a few really old ones like Roadwar 2000, but I think they're too oldschool for you.

The only RPGish one that I think will fit the bill is Gorky 17. Not a city builder though. Just a regular old RPG.

What about Civ 4 mods? I know a few of those as well.

Edit: Can't believe I forgot Armageddon Empires. Excellent game. Difficult to learn, but once you do you'll have a blast.

Since I searched I might as well post what I found for Civ 4 mods.

Fallout: The Rebirth of Civilization This is one of the few mods I played besides Fall From Heaven 2 and Masters of Mana. It's the Fallout Universe Civ style.

Not really post-apocalyptic, but I had to throw it in here anyways :)
Dune Wars mod for Civ 4

Last edited:
It's a bit surprising there haven't been more of these after the revival (like it or not) of Fallout.

I've got Stalker and quite enjoyed it. Zombies have never really done it for me, so I'll probably just skip those. I'll take a look at the rest and see what takes my fancy. I don't mind the really old stuff, as long as the interface isn't too big a pain in the ass. I managed to survive simple graphics back when I first started playing games. ;)

Ah, yeah, I stumbled on Armageddon Empires earlier. It looks like it has the potential to be quite fun.

Gotta warn you that most of those aren't exactly RPG or strategy games. They mostly action, but they are the few off the top of my head that were in that setting.

Couldn't agree more about not many games being set in the Wasteland. We need more PA and steampunk dang it!!! Too few steampunk games too.

Only really good one I ever played, and then got addicted to the setting, was Arcanum. I had to go back years to find another steampunk game that was even close to being what I wanted. That was Ultima: Martian Dreams. I regret not having played that when I was a kid.

If you have Civ 4 and all the expansions then I'd recommend trying out the fallout mod first. It's free at least :)

If you have the time to invest I really recommend Armageddon Empires. Read the manual and prepare to die the first few times out.

Mmm… steampunk. That's such a vastly underused setting. Sadly, it seems to exist as more of a fashion thing than anything else. Somebody get out there and make some more of these! I still rate Arcanum as one of my top RPGs, and would love to see a decent sequel.

And expect to die the first few times you play a strategy game? What kind of madness is this? :p

Back
Top Bottom