BattleTech - Interviews

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
Eye spotted two Battletech interviews.The first is with Mike McCain on MMORPG.

MMORPG: What can you tell us about Battletech? What’s new since GenCon and the announcement?

Mike McCain: We are bringing classic Battletech back to the PC. There hasn’t been a turn based Battletech game on the PC and we want to change that. We were successful in reviving Shadowrun on the PC so we are hoping to do the same thing here.

MMORPG: Is it going to play a lot like Shadowrun?

MM: Actually no. Mechs are very different. A human scale game such as Shadowrun or XCom is very cover dependent. Mechs tend to stomp on cover more than hide behind it. I think the feel of our turn based combat will be fairly different. We want to make sure the weightiness and scale of the mechs come across in our game.
The second is at PC Gamer with Jordan Weisman.

"I'm really psyched. I made mech games for a long time, starting with the original BattleTech board game, and the BattleTech Centers, and then the MechWarrior series, the MechCommander series. But it's been, I'm embarrassed to say, 19 years since I've made a mech game," said Weisman. "I'm really excited to make another one now, I really want to dive back in and go back to the real roots of the game."

"The ability to take that universe and now do that in a modern tactical game where we can get into even more depth than we did in the old days as a pen-and-paper but make it fluid and fast playing so you're focusing on the strategy, not on the mechanics. But the mechanics are really deep there, great differentiation of the mechs and of the mechwarriors, deep skill trees for them."
More information.

I get to see the equivalent of Codex elitism at work in the Battletech forums. Some sentiments are congratulatory and excited to see turn based BT come back. Others are... not so much. Anything less than a full implementation of all Battletech rules spanning about three dense volumes is a disappointment. Fortunately I'm a moderator over there. Being a company forum, rules of behavior and harassment are enforced more stridently (complete with accusations of ham fisted fascism), so a lot of the sheer venom is kept to a minimum. But I do get to see it where it exists.

Here's to hoping a well made and dynamic Battletech game re-ignites that old Crescent Hawk flame.

Now this is interesting. A turn-based mech RPG taking place in a Game of Thrones style power struggle, made by Harebrained Schemes? Please have some of my money immediately.

For someone who has no knowledge of Battletech this sounds somewhat interesting, though it's much too early to tell. It seems that just like with Shadowrun, ist appeal will be an underutilized setting.

Well, I read MMORPG and almost dismissed this…..

MMO aren't as popular, so they branched out to all RPGs, although they tend to cherry pick their none-MMO, they don't cover everything.

Have they talked engine yet?

I sure hope it's not going to be as slow and clunky as the Shadowrun engine.

I think they mentioned Unreal Engine.

A turn-based mech RPG taking place in a Game of Thrones style power struggle, made by Harebrained Schemes?

Well, what they said about mercenaries and picking missions for different sides DOESNT really sound like "Game of Thrones style power struggle". But lets hope it will have proper story.

I think they mentioned Unreal Engine.
Well, what they said about mercenaries and picking missions for different sides DOESNT really sound like "Game of Thrones style power struggle". But lets hope it will have proper story.

I was just going off this:

You have the warring noble houses of the inner sphere. It’s very game of thrones like. You’ll be taking contracts for the various houses set in the period of time just after the third succession war for the throne of the star league has wound down without any decisive outcome. Our game will take place between the third and the fourth succession wars. There is a lot of behind the scenes intrigue. One noble house might hire you to pose as another house to sabotage a third house.

Yes, but the point is that for you its just a job after job. You take contracts for him.. for them.... Thats not the way how the story is presented in GoT. Hopefully Im wrong.

Back
Top Bottom