EA Phenomic - Shutdown and Shuttered

As long as you don't steal the mugshots of trannies and hobo's off the Codex, I'm fine with your policies Watch <3

Stealing our content is not only disreputable and offensive, it's also illegal.

What a joke. Good luck on that "plagiarism" complaint. One similar sentence and a long quote is sure to shake the foundation of the Internet.

For a long time EA has given me a lot of heartburn buying up developers and then eventually shutting down their studios. The two most painful for me to-date are Origin and Westwood Studios.

But I've never blamed developers selling their businesses. Gamers have this sort of entitled response about their favorite franchises being sold but don't seem to give equal amount of thought about those who are ultimately trying to make a living. There is a tremendous amount of risk starting any business and if you get to a point where someone is willing to pay you money for something you've created there is nothing wrong with that, imho.

Last edited:
Perhaps you missed the part where we attempted to solve this privately with the management of this site, on multiple occasions, and never received any reply.

But, did you do that this time? You have an account on this site and could have sent CP a private message, before escalating the incident. Mostly people are reasonable if you refrain from jumping down their throats at the first opportunity. Nothing leads me to think that the enthusiasts who contribute to this site in their spare time are any different. Your first post just sounds like you got out out of bed the wrong side this morning and is never going to resolve a dispute.

Last edited:
I felt it was appropriate to bring this one of many examples to the attention of the RPGWatch community.

it seemed quite obvious to me that something like this was happening, though I didn't know or care what site it originated from. We're talking about a niche hobby that only has so many newsworthy things happening on any given day (read: none on some days). Both sites have an... ahem... distinct enough character that not much traffic should be lost.

Oh well I guess this is permanently derailed...

Maybe this should be a BIG warning to gaming companies, that if you sell into the EA monster you will be spat out when they are taking everything you worked hard for.

Now if money is your only goal then power to you, keep feeding the Monster and sell your souls.

Well if stealing articles is the case then Polygon had this up at approx 12:17PM on July 12th so you both stole the dang thing since Game Banshee had there's up at 9:49pm on July 12th and then RPG Watch.

It's called news aggregate.

Well if stealing articles is the case then Polygon had this up at approx 12:17PM on July 12th so you both stole the dang thing since Game Banshee had there's up at 9:49pm on July 12th and then RPG Watch.

It's called news aggregate.
The source for all 3 is gamesindustry.biz, so the whole thing is pretty much ridiculous. GameBanshee didn't break the story or anything.

In fact, the GameBanshee article itself was basically just a re-arranging of words from the gamesindustry.biz article. Not a single thing new was said.

Uh, I think sea is upset about the copy pasting, not about the "stealing".

Actually he did mention "stealing":

Stop stealing/copy-pasting our news stories without even having the courtesy to mention your source or changing the text even slightly.

Fact is, the text was changed slightly, from what I recall. (I believe it's been edited since, so can't re-check.) It was edited just as much as the text on GameBanshee was edited from its gameindustry.biz source, anyway. And RPGWatch did cite the real source, which is gamesindustry.biz.

Article edited and credit given to the original article. I'm not a journalist and I do copy some wording sometimes. It was not verbatim and if anyone has a problem suck it up.

I never took credit for any stories I post, and make no money off of them either. I get all the stories off link sites.

If you want more original stories why don't members here submit more news. If people are this picky maybe I should just stop posting as I'm just spreading the news on my spare time.

Article edited and credit given to the original article. I'm not a journalist and I do copy some wording sometimes. It was not verbatim and if anyone has a problem suck it up.

I never took credit for any stories I post, and make no money off of them either. I get all the stories off link sites.

If you want more original stories why don't members here submit more news. If people are this picky maybe I should just stop posting as I'm just spreading the news on my spare time.

Well me for one Thank your hard work on posting here. Just remember there will always be people that are just assholes to be one.

The only part of the articles that either site has written themselves are not remotely the same except mentioning Spellforce and Spellforce 2 which is obviously because it is the same subject. Everything else was credited to gameindustry.biz which is correct since they wrote it.

PS. I watch a show called Conan and every so often they do a comedy bit taking all of the identical news stories from local news stations and slice them together. They are all identical on a word for word basis.

Wait, what??? I'm glad you changed the post and attributed the article, but that attitude disgusts me. I don't care what you call yourself, attributing authorship is common courtesy. Pure. Simple. Manners. You quote or your paraphrase, then you attribute. Simple as that. It's something taught before you even get to college. Don't you dare go and tell me to "suck it up".

Well me for one Thank your hard work on posting here. Just remember there will always be people that are just assholes to be one.

Expecting the courtesy of authorship even in small things hardly makes one an asshole. Posting publicly like sea did makes him an asshole, but the expectation of common courtesy sure as hell isn't.

The only part of the articles that either site has written themselves are not remotely the same except mentioning Spellforce and Spellforce 2 which is obviously because it is the same subject. Everything else was credited to gameindustry.biz which is correct since they wrote it.

If they wrote different stuff that's fine. The attitude I'm seeing here is most certainly NOT fine and I do expect it to be addressed.

Wait, what??? I'm glad you changed the post and attributed the article, but that attitude disgusts me. I don't care what you call yourself, attributing authorship is common courtesy. Pure. Simple. Manners. You quote or your paraphrase, then you attribute. Simple as that. It's something taught before you even get to college. Don't you dare go and tell me to "suck it up".

and please drop the language.

curious, you're complaining that Spud lifted an article from you that you sourced from somewhere else and that you didn't give the credit to you?

and please drop the language.

What language?

curious, you're complaining that Spud lifted an article from you that you sourced from somewhere else and that you didn't give the credit to you?

You misunderstand. He didn't lift anything from me. Rather I'm responding to his post. It's not sea or the Phenomic post I'm concerned about, it's the cavalier attitude towards plagiarism which should never be tolerated.

The actual post? If spud made an oops, I don't have a great deal of trouble with it. Change it, learn from it, and move on. This isn't the same arena that Fareed Zakaria or Stephen Ambrose walk in and I don't expect the same high standards. I do, however, expect that respect towards authorship should be maintained. "I don't care" is not good at all.

I'll respond further if you or anyone wants me to, but I'm taking my complaints private at this point.

Edit:

I posted many news-bits written by my own hand and some copied and altered. To say I copied every post is a outright lie.

After cooling down a few kind reply's and messages have convinced me to stay. (Not counting a few negative ones) I admit I did wrong but it's gotten blown out of context.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom