Dungeon Crawl Missing Mountain Dwarves

skavenhorde

Little BRO Rat
For anyone who is familiar with the roguelike Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup you may have noted that a whole species has been wiped out. That species is the mountain dwarves. The poor mountain dwarves didn't stand a chance against the almighty delete button.

The reasoning behind their deletion is logical and you can read the whole thought process behind the removal at the DCSS blog.

Basically the MD were redundant or too similar to other species. There are other reasons as well, but that is enough for me.

So any Stone Soup players out there who are outraged about this? I'm not that upset, but still it's sad to see them go.

How can there be a compelling argument for Genocide ?! (The horror :lol:).

I was trying to avoid getting into this one (due to my roguelike problem) and now look what you did (just downloaded 0.9.1: before the mass murder).

I hope Frayed Knights and Skyrim will keep me away from this ones clutches for a few months at least though :)

LOL, sorry about that.

I was a bit curious how this went over with other fans of SS because people are not happy at all.

This comment from that blog seems to be the general consensus:

The developers have clearly lost it….

I don't know. I was never a fan of dwarves so it's no big deal for me, but clearly I'm in the minority with this opinion.

Yep, but better. Much much better, imo of course :)

It's a graphical rouguelike that is a ton of fun. If you don't like the tiles, they also have it in ASCII.

I'd play this one and ADOM over Nethack any day of the week.

On one hand it seems odd to get rid of such a fantasy staple as dwarves but to have every other fantasy race under the sun in the game. But from a gameplay perspective it doesn't seem like such a big deal, there are already so many races in the game and dwarves didn't have all that much flavor, so they didn't feel all that different.

But I guess if you just loved imagining your guy was a short bearded guy with an axe then you will be upset that dwarves are gone, regardless of anything else.

There's always Dwarf Fortress for those who need a to scratch that dwarvish itch :), but yea, I know what you mean. It's a little odd that they will be gone.

I'm sorta interested in this new species, octopode. Not enough to stop trying to win with my necro sludge elf (I really hate that name), but interested none-the-less.

I was hoping for more of a Cthulian vibe, but from what I can tell it's main advantage is having eight arms for eight rings and they level up almost as fast as humans.

Octopodes do seem very odd. The ring thing is strong late game, but they seem very weak early game. I don't usually like characters like that. As for dwarves maybe they will find a way to add them back later. I like unque and intersting races but it is also nice if they have at least some tie to traditionally fantasy mythology. So I like things like centaur, naga and vampires a lot more then really bizarre things like felids and octopodes.

Back
Top Bottom