What games are you playing now?

OK, yeah, that may be a good idea.

Haven't gotten very far but there have been a few missions I had to redo the last parts a few times to just squeak in gold rating. And you have to get the gold rating to get some of the extra missions, so it's worthwhile, for now. I'll see how long it takes before it gets tedious. ;)

That was the approach I took...I made it pretty far into the game before I decided to disable it. The time limit makes for a wonderful challenge, but I got a little burned out on trying to complete missions on time late in the game. Really awesome game, by the way. I hope the developer managed to make a decent profit on Elven Legacy+expansions so they can continue making these wonderful "obsolete" turn-based strategy games ;)

I just started Uncharted 3. So far, it's exactly what you'd expect with epic Indiana Jones style scenes and just a big adventure feeling. Awesome!

Did you play Uncharted 1&2? I'm curious how Drake's Deception compares. Is it better than Among Thieves?

I just started Uncharted 3. So far, it's exactly what you'd expect with epic Indiana Jones style scenes and just a big adventure feeling. Awesome!

Good to hear that! I've enjoyed quite a lot the first two (I'm a huge fan of Indy :)), and when price drops I'buy it for sure.

Still slutting my way along with 4 games at the same time. I've probably spent the most time on the DS with Etrian Odyssey 3.

I'm struggling a bit with Eschalon2, but that's totally an internal problem--with all the DDO I've played, I've forgotten how to properly explore. I pick up quests and promptly go do them. The problem is that I keep running into bottlenecks where there's no way to progress in the areas I'm in. Easy enough to go elsewhere and do other things, but for whatever reason I stubbornly bang my head on the wall trying to "find a way thru". Frustration sets in and I go play something else. Amazing how much the games you choose to play can affect the way you play games in general.

Still mucking around with my second "from scratch" run of Plants vs Zombies. Slowly filling out my gardens.

I finished Amnesia. I also gave it's little dlc(?) 'Justine' a try and I died after an hour or so, but since I can't save in it I'll try again later. I'll probably do a second playthrough of Amnesia so I can listen to the creator's commentary… but not yet. For now I decided to move to something else so I just finally installed and started playing… Penumbra.

EDIT: I keep getting so excited with such games that I sometimes think I should just focus on indies… they are so much more inspired and they put so much more effort into offering a different experience that it becomes embarrassing for all those AAA titles.

on Elven Legacy :

I really wanted to like this game, in fact the time I played it up until the brick wall I hit was great. Awesome units (Seriously love those elven units riding the stags, I love high fantasy armies), beautiful graphics, cool characters, fun strategy - all marred by the time limit thing. I finally stopped playing it because of that particular feature. Where's the fun in having to make a beeline for your objective, instead of being able to fully explore the map?

It wouldnt be so bad if getting gold in the game is more about just picking up some fun freebies along the way, but unfortunaely it's how you get the strength to win later on. I was content just getting bronze and having fun exploring the maps and battling everything on the map, but unfortunately that lead to me hitting a brick wall halfway thru the campaign as I just wasnt powerful enough to progress. I'm sorry, 8 turns to make it across an entire map and wipe out an enemy is total bullshit!

Or maybe I just suck at the game, I dont know. I thought I was doing pretty well up until the brick wall.

I hear that the later expansion Ranger made the game easier, and I own them all but havent installed it since I quit the original game after a day of frustration.

Today I'm starting Shogun 2:Total War. Have never been into the TW games, but this one has been recommended to me by everyone and his brother and at 15.oo I just had to bite! Warming up w/ a little Zombie Shooter 2....

I hear that the later expansion Ranger made the game easier, and I own them all but havent installed it since I quit the original game after a day of frustration.
I just finished Ranger, and that expansion was too easy. I got gold on almost every mission, often with many many turns to spare.

It wouldnt be so bad if getting gold in the game is more about just picking up some fun freebies along the way, but unfortunaely it's how you get the strength to win later on. I was content just getting bronze and having fun exploring the maps and battling everything on the map, but unfortunately that lead to me hitting a brick wall halfway thru the campaign as I just wasnt powerful enough to progress. I'm sorry, 8 turns to make it across an entire map and wipe out an enemy is total bullshit!
Gold gives you new units & magical items, but exploring the mission and wiping out the enemy gives you more experience, and experienced units is usually what you need, rather than more units (as you can't bring all of them to a mission anyway). The important bit is not to get gold, but to not take any losses. Getting gold and not taking any losses is for those looking for a greater challenge.
Also, exploring the map won't really net you that many extra rewards (apart from experience from killing enemies, and a few extra gold coins from liberating villages).

So, what youre saying essentially is that getting XP and leveling via map clearing is more or equally important as getting gold rewards. I should be able to clear the maps instead of going for gold when I know it's a lost cause, and I'll level enough to be able to at least complete the later missions even if it's less than gracefully.

So, what youre saying essentially is that getting XP and leveling via map clearing is more or equally important as getting gold rewards. I should be able to clear the maps instead of going for gold when I know it's a lost cause, and I'll level enough to be able to at least complete the later missions even if it's less than gracefully.

Yes. If you can get your main army at or near its level cap, then the end game should not be much of an issue. Just make sure that your units don't die.
And also, remember that heroes don't die permanently, so if it looks like you won't be able to avoid a death, let a hero take the killing blow rather than a unit. Apart from him/her not getting any more experience for the rest of the mission, there is no penalty for loosing your heroes (apart from the main one).
Getting a few "gold" might still be a good idea though, the extra money means that you will be able to upgrade your units to their max level.

For some filler between now and Skyrim I've been playing good old Duke3d, running in pure DOS with on a Pentium 233MMX + a Soundblaster AWE64 for that authentic MIDI sound.

Modern shooters leave me cold, but I've been pleasantly surprised to find that Duke still rocks - the old formula of almost non-existent story, non-stop action, light puzzles, secret areas, etc is very addictive. It's just a fancied up space invaders really, and I find myself saying "OK just one more level then I'm going to bed", which I rarely do these days.

"Those alien bastards are going to pay for shooting up my ride."

I am playing the Geneforge Saga from Steam ... was disappointed that the Mac version wasn't there, but understand that the old resource/data fork approach to apps is incompatible with Steam (and not how things are done for Intel systems) ...

Fnord - thanks for the info, looks like I may have to pick this one up again soon and give it another try. I have the original, Ranger, Magic, and Siege.

Fnord - thanks for the info, looks like I may have to pick this one up again soon and give it another try. I have the original, Ranger, Magic, and Siege.

After a bit of Heroes of Might and Magic(or a similarly named game)burnout recently I was thinking of trying Elven Legacy out. I do hate time limits in any game though, especially turn-based ones, I love to take my time and explore even in strategy games, but if you can bypass it one way or another that would work.

I haven't played Fantasy Wars either, would you folks recommend playing it first or going straight to Elven Legacy.

Ok ok, I'm installing Elven Legacy and expansions now..

I have to concede that even tho I end up buying Total War games over and over thinking that it will be different - I just dont like them. I think I'm fairly proficient at RTS, generally I do pretty good, but when it comes to the Total War games (this time it's Shogun) I just have such a hard time getting into it. For one, the unit assortment is mind-boggling. Several different types of bowmen, swordsmen, cavalry, etc. This is going to take some study just to figure out what to use and how.

I am big on hotkeys where the hell am I going to fit several types of each unit?. I think the fact that the companies are so huge throws me off too, they move slow, react slow, respond to danger slow. I'm used to smaller, tight knit regiments that I can monitor and micro closely and get them the hell out of there when things go south. When things go south in Total War, it's over. Youre finished. There's no microing the damaged units out while pushing in new, there's no cranking 10 more out of the barracks and ordering them to the front line. And sieges are laughable, you should see me just trying to take a fortress in the tutorial!

patience is something I lack, and i think a great deal of it is what is required to play and enjoy the Total War games.

It's just a differnt style of tactical play, and I have no doubt far more authentic then the Dawn of War and high fantasy Kohan 2 style stuff I usually play an love. I'm just awful at it. I'm reading a beginner's guide and going to give it a try again, I just know there's a good Total War experience to be had. Just havent found it yet…

I just know there's a good Total War experience to be had. Just havent found it yet…

In reality there are just certain game types each of us will either never like or never be good at. I personally like the Total War games, but am crap at them - I tried playing online and got my butt handed to me worse than any other RTS. Yet solo I have fun.

I have never clicked with games like Full Spectrum Warrior, for example ...

For some filler between now and Skyrim I've been playing good old Duke3d, running in pure DOS with on a Pentium 233MMX + a Soundblaster AWE64 for that authentic MIDI sound.

"Those alien bastards are going to pay for shooting up my ride."

Duke 3D is still one of the best FPSs ever created. I just replayed it right before Duke Nukem Forever was released. If only DNF was nearly as good...

You must have missed my earlier thread. ;)

Duke 3D is still one of the best FPSs ever created. I just replayed it right before Duke Nukem Forever was released. If only DNF was nearly as good…
So very true - I did the same thing and that was a large part of my review. It isn't just that DNF doesn't live up to a 2011 Duke game expectation ... it isn't as good as the original game played in 2011!

You must have missed my earlier thread. ;)
Yeah I did ... no excuse, but I try to page through the threads every few days and inevitably miss some stuff :)

Back
Top Bottom