South Park RPG - Animating the Game

Dhruin

SasqWatch
GameInformer has another dev video interview for South Park with lead animator Shon Stewart describing their approach. The intro:
Shon Stewart is an animation geek. He animated some 2D projects while in college but quickly learned the art of 3D animation for projects like Fallout: New Vegas. Now he's the lead animator on South Park: The Game and his primary directive is to dissect the animation of South Park and recreate it for Obsidian Entertainment's new RPG: every geek's dream. Watch the video to learn how the team at Obsidian analyzed movement on South Park, how closely they work with the animators of the show, and why Shon Stewart has the perfect job.
More information.

It saddens me this title is being considered a highly anticipated release. Not because I have anything against South Park, but rather my interest in playing a game in that setting regardless of genre is nil.

Someone please release Diablo 3 :(

Is that supposed to be an argument regarding the game's quality or significance? I've seen pretty high profile and popular games sell for $5 on Steam that otherwise sell for $30+

I also like the mentality on showcase here which, for some reason, associates commercial worth of a game with highly arbitrary criteria. What, South Park as a franchise not AAA enough for you? Is it the lack of polygons? Or SM 4.0? Or playing hiking simulation in a large 3D open world? Is it because it won't be an EPIC! CINEMATIC! :GRIMDARK: :GRITTYMATURE: EMOTIONAL! experience for you? What? I'm curious, what are the basic features that a game has to maintain for it to justify a full price for you?

For the life of me, I can't figure out the negativity towards this project. Is it my most anticipated title of the year, no. Will I get it if it gets decent reviews, heck yeah! I think some of you guys need to lighten up and get a sense of humor - the South Park RPG might help you out.

Quiet, we're busy being chosen ones who kill dragons by shouting at them. Real, serious epic stuff.

For the life of me, I can't figure out the negativity towards this project. Is it my most anticipated title of the year, no. Will I get it if it gets decent reviews, heck yeah! I think some of you guys need to lighten up and get a sense of humor - the South Park RPG might help you out.
1. The IP itself is terrible.
2. Obsidian, the company known for making even terrible IPs shine with clever writing… is not responsible for the writing.
3. Paper Mario combat. If you're ripping off JRPG combat, why not rip off a JRPG that is actually known for good combat? They could have ripped off Tales games and their combo madness. They could have ripped off Final Fantasy X and its tag mechanic. They could have ripped off Shin Megami Tensei games and their extra turn shenanigans. But no, they chose to go with Paper goddamn Mario.

I had never even heard of such a thing called "paper mario" before this.

What exactly am I signing up for with the combat? Can you explain what's bad about it?

I had never even heard of such a thing called "paper mario" before this.

What exactly am I signing up for with the combat? Can you explain what's bad about it?
Paper Mario is one of many Mario spin-offs. Combat is turn-based. You control two characters: Mario and a partner. PM's defining gimmick are action commands. When a character acts, a button prompt appears on the screen. Successfully pressing the button on time increases the damage you deal and reduces the damage you take.

PM's problem is that it's a very limited game tactically. While it has buffs and status effects, your mastery of action commands is the main factor deciding whether you win or lose. Most fights end up feeling next to identical as a result.

You can try the demo of Costume Quest if you want to see what it's like for yourself. It has very similar combat.

Quiet, we're busy being chosen ones who kill dragons by shouting at them. Real, serious epic stuff.

Ha ha, so true.

Seriously, it's South Park (is that an oxymoron?). It's supposed to be silly and funny. Are there people honestly getting their panties in a wad over a South Park RPG combat mechanics?? "OMG, there is no tactics involved with Slave's butthole decapitation attack! It's sooo lame!"

And Obsidian's not writing it, but the creators of South Park are. Why would you not want the people that created the material to be the writers for it? These are two of the best comedic minds out there. They have oscar nominations, emmy's, and tony awards for their writing.

This is satire people!

I see, so these button prompts are kind of like the horrible quick time events in Witcher 2's tavern brawls?

And Obsidian's not writing it, but the creators of South Park are. Why would you not want the people that created the material to be the writers for it? These are two of the best comedic minds out there. They have oscar nominations, emmy's, and tony awards for their writing.

You are spot on!

Parker and Stone are the best comedic minds of my generation destroyed by madness, starving hysterical naked, dragging themselves through the....

Back
Top Bottom