Gamasutra - Kickstarter Editorial

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Gamasutra has a new article with information about Kickstarter comparing the amout earned on tabletop games, and video games in 2013.

As a new year is starting, it is customary to look at the previous' year performance

Here, I shall into how 2013 has been for video games on Kickstarter.

Considering how much time I have spent looking at and talking about Kickstarter data, it would be a shame to miss the opportunity to join the crowd of analysts of the platform in giving my own take of the past year – with my usual focus on games in general, video games specifically.
More information.

Yes that monthly pledge chart roughly matches my expectations. April and October are mid-way between the winter holiday break and summer--probably the time points when many gamers will have the most free cash and (in the north) still be stuck indoors. I'll bet we see more Kickstarter projects starting up at those times.

Interesting data.

I'm still extremely surprised by the popularity of board games though. Kickstarter has been a great platform for them.

That should end the claim made on this site that people have grown weary of pledging, the KS fatigue etc.
Something like 450 video games in preparation. Most of them will only enlarge the already large sea of games you must swim in in hope to find a decent game.

I'm still extremely surprised by the popularity of board games though. Kickstarter has been a great platform for them.
I am not. KS projects for board games usually come with many physical goods that enable nice speculative schemes.
That is more than a couple of players who expect board games KS for their reselling value only. Usually, KS are received before the official release hit the stores, which give a nice window to sell on Ebay and other platforms.
A pledge of $100 can turn into an investment that will yield $300 over a rather short term.
Interest in gaming: zero.
Some others use the scheme to sponsor themselves into the practice of their hobby: they take more than they need and sell the excess to make up for the own spending. But at least, they are interested in gaming.

Back
Top Bottom