Fallout 3 - What it Could Have Been

So close to the right response. So close. You had to add that last dig in.

At worst I misplaced my commas. The impotent shaking of tiny fists at people enjoying something popular is in fact what tickles me the most.

At worst I misplaced my commas. The impotent shaking of tiny fists at people enjoying something popular is in fact what tickles me the most.

Well that's fine, but you went down to his level. Which is puerile.

Well that's fine, but you went down to his level. Which is puerile.

I don't even know what you're on about, misunderstanding what I wrote or what, but from tone it sounds like that same kind of thing I replied to. Assuming your preferences are "right" and those enjoying something popular are "wrong" is silly in my opinion, and being cross about someone pointing that out falls in the same boat.

The creators of The Elder Scrolls franchise have a specific vision of how a post-apocalyptic wasteland adventure should look like and we have to deal with it, no matter if we like it or not.
Yeah, one way to deal with it is not to play it. Works for me.

Underrail is definitely a different way of looking at post-apoc. It isn't really Fallout-like except in the ancient looks, but it is a very fun game. The writing is nowhere nearly as good as either old Fallout game, but then again it's largely a one-man effort and Fallout 1 and 2 had a whole team.

Playing FO III and recent one is like watching last few Terminator movies…at times fun for what it's worth, but the soul is simply not there and with each new sequel it is less and less, eventually turning into a parody of it's old self.

"My idea is to explore more of the world and more of the ethics of a post-nuclear world, not to make a better plasma gun. "
— Tim Cain

Though Wasteland II really turned out a pleasant surprise.

The RPG world would definitely have been better with Van Buren …

Definitely. Due to its isometric format it'd focus moreso on narrative and substance than MMO-style generic errands…Bethesda's Fallout is completely different to the originals …. wide as the ocean , deep as a puddle

Though Wasteland II really turned out a pleasant surprise.

I felt it delivered … makes me want to buy their other titles.. Happy that they are on Torment, and its not like the company's B team is doing it, as was the case with Pillars of Eternity.

article said:
420996544.jpg

Why do I get a Nwn 1 vibe from that

I would say its the boxy conversation ui.

I'd tap that… A 3D Fallout in Nwn's style… better than open-world genericness, for sure

I'm an old geezer, going on 68 and have played various CRPGs since the early 80s. I still don't get the fascination players have for isometric, turn-based, party-based, bird's-eye view CRPGs. Is it a nostalgia thing because you were imprinted with these mechanics early on when you discovered CRPGs? I think these game conventions and mechanics arose due to hardware and programming restrictions in early game computers and machines.
I, for one, chafed at the these restrictions and welcomed wholeheartedly the more realistic experience of 1st & 3rd person, free-roaming game play. I always thought, and still do, that it's totally moronic to stand there waiting while an enemy whacks away at you or vice-versa. I love real-time combat. To me it is much more realistic and immersive. What is immersive about waiting for some esoteric dice rolls to determine your fate?
I could go on, but people have their minds made up and that's fine. It's not a matter of which is best, but what satisfies your taste. The best style and mechanics are the ones you enjoy the most. Have fun.

Hey Get-off-my-lawn-guy, I hear you, I too never understood the fervor that iso-turn based has on a lot of RPGers. But I always preferred 1st/3rd person over ISO view. Actually the only ISO-view, turn-based games that cracks MY top 10 RPG list are Fallout 1 and Divinity OS.

In a parallel universe, Troika would not have floundered but rather flourished and purchased the Fallout IP. And Bethesda would have gone on to make Skyrim-with-guns under a a different name to satiate their fanbase who turn a blind eye to horrendous story, dialogue, and C&C.

I'm an old geezer, going on 68 and have played various CRPGs since the early 80s. I still don't get the fascination players have for isometric, turn-based, party-based, bird's-eye view CRPGs…

… What is immersive about waiting for some esoteric dice rolls to determine your fate?

The tension and anticipation.

To me it is much more realistic and immersive. What is immersive about waiting for some esoteric dice rolls to determine your fate?

The love for mystery and adventure.

I'm an old geezer, going on 68 and have played various CRPGs since the early 80s. I still don't get the fascination players have for isometric, turn-based, party-based, bird's-eye view CRPGs. Is it a nostalgia thing because you were imprinted with these mechanics early on when you discovered CRPGs? I think these game conventions and mechanics arose due to hardware and programming restrictions in early game computers and machines.
I, for one, chafed at the these restrictions and welcomed wholeheartedly the more realistic experience of 1st & 3rd person, free-roaming game play. I always thought, and still do, that it's totally moronic to stand there waiting while an enemy whacks away at you or vice-versa. I love real-time combat. To me it is much more realistic and immersive. What is immersive about waiting for some esoteric dice rolls to determine your fate?
I could go on, but people have their minds made up and that's fine. It's not a matter of which is best, but what satisfies your taste. The best style and mechanics are the ones you enjoy the most. Have fun.

While it is more immersive it is not more realistic. In real life you don't just point and shoot, there are 1000 factors not simulated by FPS like games. Turn based games that don't allow more than 95% hit chance are way more realistic.

Just couldn't miss the topic, because "After Reset RPG may be the Fallout 3 we never got…" - Earnest Cavalli, JOYSTIQ

A couple screenshots of the cave "Bunker Entrance" from the indie game we're working on (quite nostalgic, you know):

ar_rpg_screenshot_Cave.png

ar_rpg_screenshot_CaveExit.png

I'd tap that

Just couldn't miss the topic, because "After Reset RPG may be the Fallout 3 we never got…" - Earnest Cavalli, JOYSTIQ

A couple screenshots of the cave "Bunker Entrance" from the indie game we're working on (quite nostalgic, you know):
Looks Good Mr. Nixon, but how is development progressing? As the last update I read mentioned you were close to running out of funds. I hope your game gets finished.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom